Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahdfox

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
Here
Apple's run amok

ok - so grab your tinfoil hats everyone, the conspiracy theorist has arrived...

If all of us walked into a bog box store and bought a brand new computer, and suddenly as we were checking out the sales person says "oh .. by the way... the only software this runs is from the manufacturer, you have to go to their store to get it" we'd all walk out (or laugh... or both).

but when apple says "the only software you can have is what we put on our app store" as it relates to mobile phones we say "ok!".

so for my part, i'm leaving the iPhone completely and going android.

However, for desktop computers, i don't have the same luxury. And now that apple has its hands all over mac apps in their app store, it's already killing my productivity.

I can't believe people are putting up with this sandboxing bulls**t and not complaining. Are you f'n kidding me?!

Here at our studio we use an app called Wiretap Anywehre from Ambrosia software. It's an absolutely essential app for us for the radio show we produce so that we can route audio from any app to any other app. We've been using it for years without issue.

When lion was introduced it suddenly stopped working properly. We could not longer pick the app we wanted to route from and to - so now if we want to record audio we can record ALL system audio, or none.

Why? Because of sandboxing. They hadn't updated their app and they could have gotten around it and fixed it but when i called to find out why a fix was taking so long the answer was "because there isn't' one coming". when i asked why they said it was because of the new app store requirements around sand boxing. So I said "so don't put it on the store, just distribute online". and the guy .. literally said "look.. we want to stay in business, and if we don't put our stuff in the app store apple has made it clear they will not take our other apps".

are you f'n kidding me...

i tried to warn everyone about giving apple this kind of power....

Dear God... there needs to be a new competitor in the desktop space like android is in the handheld space.. we need something that's not windows, and not mac.

17 years of Macs and now considering Linux when good old 10.6 runs out of steam in a couple of years. Amazing that Apple is having a hard time realizing that fewer choices does not always equal simplicity.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
As far as I know, Metro apps on Windows 8's app store are going to be sandboxed as well.

I don't think Microsoft will ever be able to implement apples one app store policy in the desktop market. Apples already done it in iOS so I feel the fear is warranted that it could extend to OSX and beyond on the desktop side. Its not neccesarily the sand boxing I'm afraid of.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
...If they're concerned about Apps having too much access, they should have a permissions system that lets the user choose what the App can do.

As far as I know, Metro apps on Windows 8's app store are going to be sandboxed as well.

But Windows already has a very flexible ACL (Access Control List) based security framework - it would be fairy simple to allow sandboxed apps limited and specific access to what they need to function.

cnote678

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
Chicago, IL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I use BetterSnapTool and it is going to be removed from the Mac App Store upon implementation of the requirements, which I think is a huge disappointment.

DrFreeman

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
I think Apple may have longer term plans hence the sandboxing rule. It seems Apple is trying to unify its operating system (iOS and OS X) so sandboxing could be a step in that direction.

So you write one app and it runs on both iPad and Macbook albeit with interface tweaks! :D

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
So you write one app and it runs on both iPad and Macbook albeit with interface tweaks! :D

That's pretty much how it already is. iOS and OS X are pretty similar at the API level and the sub-systems level. In fact, they share so much between each other, they are already pretty much merged.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
@zorinlynx they do have different "entitlements" for different types of applications. The problem is, that there are too few entitlements to cover all usecases, and so many apps are not sandboxable with the current sandboxing technology. So the apple solution is to just not allow further updates for those apps which can't work with the few given entitlements .

Developers can file bugreports / feature requests but often you just get the answer that the technology you need for your application is theoretically able to workaround the purpose of the sandbox and so they won't allow it....

Isn't this just going to cost Apple money in the long run as profitable and useful apps like Transmit leave the store?

I just can't fathom why they would do something that would encourage developers to NOT use the app store, when they are so incredibly obsessed with promoting it.

jinnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2011
They probably don't want to spend the time to make a separate version to sell from their website.

It's not just the time to make the app it's the cost of selling apps online, cheaper than boxed software but still a cost. With MAS if your App doesn't sell a single copy all you are out is the $99 fee. With DIY Online Sales, you need storage, commerce merchant account fees, bandwidth, etc...

Note: There are many games available on MAS and Steam.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Isn't this just going to cost Apple money in the long run as profitable and useful apps like Transmit leave the store?

I just can't fathom why they would do something that would encourage developers to NOT use the app store, when they are so incredibly obsessed with promoting it.

If too many 'high profile' apps leave the store hopefully Apple will have a rethink. I wouldn't be the first time Apple have reversed developer rule decisions.

jinnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2011
This will certainly become a problem for non MAS applications as time goes by.

People are lazy and some are less knowledgeable and both .. some will not know that you can obtain Mac software from any other sources but MAS.. others simply won't bother to look any other place than MAS.

So.. non MAS software will slowly decline in sales.

Not really most of the apps that need to work outside of the sandbox are in a niche market. The users of those apps will mostly likely search the internet for them. The non-techs will stick to MAS and it will benefit them as everything is there and they don't have to fear being ripped off or their credit cards being passed to unknown entities.

Apple want MAS to be the defacto method of OSX software distribution together with its rules. Apple can't close OSX so MAS as defacto software distribution is the next best thing. The Apple developer rules will certainly restrict creativity and innovation.

You're right they can't close OSX but you're wrong it won't restrict any software developer because you can continue to develop outside of MAS. You can sell on Steam or even Amazon. What you don't get (and don't deserve) is the free publicity of MAS

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Security comes at the price of flexibility. Always. Too much security and flexibility suffers. Too much flexibility and security suffers. Swing the pendulum either way too far and you've got problems.

Is mandatory sandboxing really needed ? Oh well, there's always Linux to go back to if Apple ever manages to screw up OS X too badly.

The only way to prevent that from happening is for mac app developers to band together in unison and boycott the app store: take their apps from sale and don’t put them back up till apple gives up... it worked for SOPA....

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Welcome to the iOSification of Mac OS X. It's like watching a bunch of lemmings get pushed off a cliff. Except they all honestly believe they're doing it out of choice and that it's the best thing for them.

I refuse to buy MAS applications.

Why?

Because restrictions such as this "sandboxing" that are really just half-assed implementations by Apple hurt applications more then they improve them. You can't seriously tell me with a straight face that I should accept limited and broken applications over their unhindered and free counterparts sold directly from the vendor.

There is NO REASON why Xcode shouldn't come with an "entitlements" editor that allows you to pick and chose what system resources you need and how. This should get baked into the *.app bundle, and when a developer submits an application to Apple, the reviewers can decide if the application really needs what the developer said it does and if not- they can further discuss the issues with the developer prior to approval (for example, there's no reason why a game would need access to everything in ~/, but a search utility might).

Really, there's a thousand different ways Apple could have gone about this. The above is just off the top of my head.

But no, they decide to lock everyone into a strict set of granular choices, most of which are so restricting they're virtually useless. Ring a bell with iOS multitasking anyone?

I'm sure I'll have hoards of people running to Apple's defence here saying that the limited and crippled entitlement system Apple is forcing on everyone is "for your own protection".

The truth here is that there is NO REASON why we can't have a Sandboxing implementation that works well, is secure, and can handle anything developers might need. Except for Apple's own laziness and arrogance regarding their own decisions these days.

-SC

jinnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2011
I've been on windows long enough to know how to not compromise my security. I'll stay tuned I guess.

No you don't cause you're connected to the internet and you are still running Windows!:p

----------

I don't think Microsoft will ever be able to implement apples one app store policy in the desktop market. Apples already done it in iOS so I feel the fear is warranted that it could extend to OSX and beyond on the desktop side. Its not neccesarily the sand boxing I'm afraid of.

What do you mean "One App Store policy" ? There is more than one app store for the Mac. Look around and you'll find it.

Note: While developing Vista, MS was going to sandbox all into one big sandbox and close off the system to all apps. Major failure when Symatec started crying and that feature was "enhanced" aka dropped.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
@zorinlynx they do have different "entitlements" for different types of applications. The problem is, that there are too few entitlements to cover all usecases, and so many apps are not sandboxable with the current sandboxing technology. So the apple solution is to just not allow further updates for those apps which can't work with the few given entitlements .

Developers can file bugreports / feature requests but often you just get the answer that the technology you need for your application is theoretically able to workaround the purpose of the sandbox and so they won't allow it....

Sorry I might be misunderstanding something...
Apple allows sub-apps(Deamons) within your app to have Separate Entitlements from the main app. So you can divide an app so parts that aren't allowed within the same sandbox can have there own Sandbox then pass pure data across to each other. I thought it was possible to get a Sub-app to do anything you could get a launchd deamon to do?

So why can't say a FTP app have a process to handle just the FTP session that then can pass Data back to the main interface app, then have another part that has has the Entitlements required to read write files into the users file structure?

And the other overriding question non-MAS apps can do what they please.
At the expense of visiblity and all the setting up your own sale portal.
So why don't these Dev's get together to make a Appstore for Pro Apps?

jinnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2011

First Transmit isn't doing anything special. They are using built-in features to mount ftp/sftp/etc... drives.

Second how are they "incredibly obsessed with promoting it". I haven't see a single promotion on this. They did move all of their apps to the App Store but I think this is less marketing and more simplicity.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
17 years of Macs and now considering Linux when good old 10.6 runs out of steam in a couple of years. Amazing that Apple is having a hard time realizing that fewer choices does not always equal simplicity.

Linux is fine if you're a geek but I don't know why people think that the geek market is bigger than ole mom and pops that just want a computer that works and doesn't scare them.

I'm sure I'll have hoards of people running to Apple's defence here saying that the limited and crippled entitlement system Apple is forcing on everyone is "for your own protection".

The truth here is that there is NO REASON why we can't have a Sandboxing implementation that works well, is secure, and can handle anything developers might need. Except for Apple's own laziness and arrogance regarding their own decisions these days.

-SC

The problem is Apple has likely thought about every available option and is charting a course for the future where Sandboxed applications are the norm and there is a way of delivering inter-application communication safely. I'd rather they go overly conservative at first and then develop a highly secure method for control.

Just because Apple doesn't give a roadmaps or assurances doesn't mean plans aren't in place to ameliorate many of the side effects of sandboxing.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Just because Apple doesn't give a roadmaps or assurances doesn't mean plans aren't in place to ameliorate many of the side effects of sandboxing.

Apple should give roadmaps.. instead of keeping people in the dark.

There are some things Apple should keep secret, but others, not so much. You should be more open to 3rd party developers.. If Apple are indeed in the process of giving more functionality to the sand boxing implementation then this should be communicated, and thus increasing confidence.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I don't see why Apple is making it so restrictive. The sandbox doesn't let you do much even with all available entitlements. Its as if they're trying to encourage iOS style wrappered website applications. Tiny applications that do little for $1. MAS does not seem to care about any typically sized Mac app. There is no way to try an app, no trial, and the app can't do much of anything.

For all normal apps, you'll have to go outside MAS.

I used MAS for a while when it first came out, but never found much interesting out there. Why would I pay 30% extra to get it from MAS without a trial, if I can usually find the same app online with a free trial.

I think Apple is pushing MAS to irrelevance.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Wow. Bad timing. Just as CAD companies are starting to take Apple seriously for the first time in decades. If I were Autodesk or Solidworks or PTC or or Dassault Systemeseses or whomever, and I was considering FINALLY bringing a decent, modern, parametric modeling app to the Mac, as they have been lately, considering the millions of hours that takes, this ugly little sandboxing requirement would pose a couple potentially huge risks:

1, you're not going to get the exposure of being listed in the App Store.

2, the chance they'll get more strict in the future and nuke your application altogether.

A cad model that can't be linked to external data sources is dead on creation, and a waste of effort. Apple crippling themselves just as the design & engineering markets are starting to warm up again? Not good.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Not really most of the apps that need to work outside of the sandbox are in a niche market. The users of those apps will mostly likely search the internet for them. The non-techs will stick to MAS and it will benefit them as everything is there and they don't have to fear being ripped off or their credit cards being passed to unknown entities.

You're right they can't close OSX but you're wrong it won't restrict any software developer because you can continue to develop outside of MAS. You can sell on Steam or even Amazon. What you don't get (and don't deserve) is the free publicity of MAS

And we go in a full circle back to my first post in this discussion.... sales of non MAS ( smaller 3rd party developers especially ) will certainly fall as MAS becomes established.

Your post almost says "MAS is not a place for niche applications", though I don't want to put words into your mouth at all.

LillDrutten

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
How stupid can someone be? What about plugins for logic, cubase and photoshop? What about content things like sample libraries for exs24/kontakt etc?
Steve Jobs have been away for half a year and now we see the first signs for apple decline.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
If you could just sit, discuss and make it right from the start we would be living in a perfect world, we aren't as far as i know.

Everything takes time and there are always people screaming that the sky is falling no matter what. Suck it up.

----------

How stupid can someone be? What about plugins for logic, cubase and photoshop? What about content things like sample libraries for exs24/kontakt etc?
Steve Jobs have been away for half a year and now we see the first signs for apple decline.

The truth is there are many things that are done at Apple without Steve even knowing about them and Steve was wrong about many key things too (Genius Bar, apps etc.)

The world is not coming to an end. Your prescription on the other hand might be ...

Sandboxing is no easy task and will be tweaked over a period of time.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

BaldiMac said:
So, to be clear. It's a problem when Apple allows access to other application data and it's a problem when Apple doesn't allow access to other application data. :)

Yeah this is a non issue caused by inconvienced developers. In the long term developers will find solutions to provide the same functionality.

Sandboxxing is a no brainer in this day and age and it is something apple can use to sell the app store as if you only install apps from the store you increase security and integrity.

This just means developers desiring cross functionality will have to work together to create that functionality going forward. Up until now it could just be a one sided process.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Mr. Retrofire said:
I do not need a sandbox. I'm not a kid. Or who needs limited functionality?

Yet you are just like a little kid oblivious to your own security and safety.

People act like there are not extremely valid reasons for sand boxing, ones many / most adults understand and willingly accept. The child like perspective is "me want what me want and I no care why can't have"

Last edited by a moderator:

Fuzzi

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2009
Yeah this is a non issue caused by inconvienced developers. In the long term developers will find solutions to provide the same functionality.

no they won't. Apple clearly states that many things will stay limited and many apps won't be possible anymore in the sandbox. If you are a developer, read for example about the accessibility API which is completely prohibited in the sandbox.

Please don't write stuff like this if you don't know what you are talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.