Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Its also funny to see back in 2003 people sick of people and even news sites trying to predict what Apple is going to release :D

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I love looking back and reading how wrong/right people were. I wonder if in 8 years someone will repost a thread about tablets wiping out laptops.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I love looking back and reading how wrong/right people were. I wonder if in 8 years someone will repost a thread about tablets wiping out laptops.

Or do you remember those tablets that came out in 2010?
Oh yeah I remember those, whatever happened to them?
I don't know, have not seen anyone use one for years. Amazing how people back then thought there were going to replace laptops.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
In hindsight, there is nothing else Apple would have called the iPad. iSlate never seemed like an Apple-ish name compared to iPod or iMac. And everyone made fun of it when it released, but now it's becoming more and more of a household term.

iPad 3

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
In hindsight, there is nothing else Apple would have called the iPad. iSlate never seemed like an Apple-ish name compared to iPod or iMac. And everyone made fun of it when it released, but now it's becoming more and more of a household term.

iTablet?

They could have called it anything...

Anyway, where does "pad" come into it? It was a great guess. Bet he wishes he bought a few domain names for it!

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I think iPad was because it looks like the star trek tablets and they were calls PADDs

Nice to know Steves a Trekkie :D

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The name iPad has been speculated as the name of an Apple PDA/Tablet dating back to 2002 or earlier.

In fact, the name iPad was first used (as far as I can tell) in 2000 as a prank.

And it was passed around in several MacRumors posts back in 2001/2002, here, here, here, here, or here.

Great find.

As to others that believed someone "predicted" iPad, considering probability.

Given enough people and enough guesses, someone might guess right. However, the person's record is probably nowhere near 100% right.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
can't he just edit the post? maybe next year it will contain a prediction about the ipad 3.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Guess someone had a change of mind.

Not really. In 2003 there really was no smartphone market (flip phones were just really starting to become widespread back then). So, at that point, he was really only referencing cell phones.

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
The name iPad has been speculated as the name of an Apple PDA/Tablet dating back to 2002 or earlier.

In fact, the name iPad was first used (as far as I can tell) in 2000 as a prank.

And it was passed around in several MacRumors posts back in 2001/2002, here, here, here, here, or here.

Yes, but I said the name with certainty! :p

Seriously though, I didn't believe it to be a pda or even an extension of Newton. I didn't see Apple wanting to put out a highly stylus dependent device for anything other than possibly handwriting. I felt that those PDA's were too clunky, and non-streamlined for SJ's taste. He wouldn't want extra gadgets, even something as simple but easy to lose as a stylus, to be an integral part of the iPad.

Like I said in my post linked below, I saw the ipad being "...a lot more robust than a PDA while not being an inconvenient laptop."

I even almost hit the price points [from the link below]: "I would pay $599 for a slimmed down entry version and $899 for a hardware[ram, audio recording, combo drive?, etc.]/software upgraded version."

LOL @ the combo drive guess, but as also stated in the link below, I saw the iPad as being "[approx. the size of 2 DVD boxes stacked on top of eachother]". So I thought it would be twice as thick as the current iPad. Also, the DVD box sizes I was referring to are the older dvd boxes that were around 10" in height, or as I had posted numerous times on these forums back then, something that was about the size of a piece of paper (in height obviously) or a clipboard, and that you could hold and use in much the same way you would hold and use a clipboard: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/2219457/

Of course over 3 years had passed between my original iPad post and the one linked directly above, and because SJ had said that "everything running Mac OS (iOS hadn't been introduced yet, nor had the iPhone) would have the word Mac in the name from now on", I had changed the name to MacPad and then MacPod (LOL!) because this device would not canabilize other Apple products, but rather raise awareness of them by complimenting them. It would be another Apple product for SJ's vision of the "digital lifestyle".

Oh, the memories! :)

This is the most accurate and earliest (as far as I know) post that I had made using the name iPad:https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-232266 </t-23590.html

For more foresight fun, clicky linky in my sig to see the epic battle thread between us here on MR and the Nokia [and other FORMER leading phone manufacturers] trolls regarding what they saw as the completely useless multi-touch input advantages of the [at that time] just released iPhone. :p

PEACE. :cool:

Last edited:

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
XD

Man, that link in your sig is just HILARIOUS!
Wow, I didn't know there were people like that back in 2007!

Anyways, MacQuest, could you please predict what we will see on iPad X? (assuming it is the 10th generation of the iPad.)

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
I predict...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
XD

Man, that link in your sig is just HILARIOUS!
Wow, I didn't know there were people like that back in 2007!

Anyways, MacQuest, could you please predict what we will see on iPad X? (assuming it is the 10th generation of the iPad.)

iPad X will NOT use either fAndroid or WinBlows mobile OSssss! :D

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
iPad X will NOT use either fAndroid or WinBlows mobile OSssss! :D

lol, I will print this page out, and once iPad X comes out (assuming that the world doesnt end in 2012) I'll take a pic of it, quote you, and make a thread on this forum (and again, assuming that this thread will still be alive.)

Until 2020, good luck! :cool:

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I AIN'T TELLIN'!!! :p

Why if it isn't the man/woman (not sure until you say lol) in question. Nice call on that. We really need you to do more predictions for us! Also, I love the link in your signature. That was winning before Charlie Sheen even thought of using the phrase.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.