Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fredmania

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Was browsing here and saw a similar post with a poll on which logo looked better. Thought I'd ask the same question with different options. Site name: TinyLightbulbs

A)
tllogot1.jpg

B)
tllogot2.jpg

C)
tllogot3.jpg

D)
tinylightbulbslogolight.jpg

(Here's a closeup of the lightbulb logo used in option 4, will clean up the lower portion, just sketched it quickly)

lightbulbsample.jpg

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I like the idea of the last one... I just think it needs work in its proportions. Right now it's quite literal... but for the mark to work better at smaller sizes, try reworking it to scale up the tiny filament to better fill the bulb space. Even then, the proportion of that mark to the type would have to be larger than what you have it at in 'D'.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
These are kinda cool. Here's my rundown...

I like "A," but it is rather wispy. Kinda disappears. That may be okay on a background other than white. The "Tiny" as the filament is a nice idea. Maybe it works better if you apply some of the reflection and shading shown in "B" to the white bulb.

I like "B" the most. Takes care of the hesitance of the white-on-white of "A." I might run some delicate black linework around the "Tiny" just to make it stand out? Maybe only partially?

"C" definitely stands out and the name of the site is unmistakable, but I don't like the face on the bulb. It looks like a receptacle, which is an electrical theme, but nothing would be plugging into a delicate glass bulb.

"D" might have promise, since either the text or logo could have standalone marketing potential - but I'm not a fan of either font. It's truly subjective, but the "lightbulbs" font in particular is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Good first showing all around. ;)

Fredmania

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Thanks for your input so far! On a related note, how can I make this into an actual poll?

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Just my thoughts - not sure what the website is about, but the first thing that struck me is the title is tiny lightbulbs, yet most of the logo's feature one big lightbulb. Not sure that fits to be honest, although the idea using the filament to spell 'tiny' is an original thought.

I don't like any of the fonts that much either - the first few have a slight military theme, which I suspect is not what is intended. Perhaps the logo should be head and shoulders with lots of little tiny light bulbs above it ? Maybe that is a bit cliche though. Anyway what do I know - I am not a professional logo designer.

Last edited:

vigorblade

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
New York, NY
Needs work

Conceptually, I see what you are trying to do with the filament spelling out "Tiny", but it does not work well here.

If you take options A and B and shrink them down, the legibility of "Tiny" just does not hold up. Good logos should hold up even at smaller sizes and this does not do so well. The font choices also just do not feel right in any of the options, they just do not play well together with what you are trying to do.

James Craner, also made a good point about the light bulb graphic element not being...well, tiny.

You are working against yourself in that you want your filament spelling "Tiny" in the bulb, but to make the word somewhat legible when resized to smaller sizes you make the bulb big. You are trying to make oil and water play well together here.

Option C, is kinda fun, but the font selection does not work together and bulb is far from tiny.

Option D, although still, not the best font selections, it has potential. The font colors work for me. You made the bulb smaller which works, but you are still trying to force the filament spelling "Tiny" idea, you don't need it. Try to make the bulb simple, no faces, no filament spelling "Tiny", just a simple, clean little bulb. Try to make the bulb yellow and black like options B and C, but smaller and minus the face, filament, stuff.

Just some constructive crit from a designer, not bashing your work. Keep working on it.

Have a good one !

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
The last one is too busy. Too many fonts, too much variation in size. The first three hold up better conceptually and in execution. I kinda like the happy bulb; it's certainly memorable, but does it convey the right image for the business?

The heavier typefaces might be more legible, especially at a smaller scale (think letterhead). Maybe not... I dunno, you'll have to reduce and see what looks better.

You should explore at all your options in black and white, and I think some design choices will become apparent/necessary.

Good work so far – keep refining and messing around. A good designer will literally go through hundreds of iterations before finally settling on the one that feels best!

icanboogie

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
Berlin
if you want to stick to the idea of having the word "tiny" as the wire, I would enlarge it, like in the quick sketch attached (better make it even bigger)

The tiny-ness could be visualized by a gigantic hand or so.

but keep in mind that a too picturesque signet might not always work as well as a "word-only" logo.

nonetheless, my fav would be C) from above, but with other typo and a much smaller bulb. (maybe as the dot on an "i"?)

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2012-02-13 um 21.47.05.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-02-13 um 21.47.05.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Great logos! I like the closeup of the lightbulb in the last logo and just put 'lightbulbs' underneath. like the previous post.

Love the idea of 'tiny' as filament.

phogphan

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
I think you have some decent original logo ideas, but they still need a bit of work to feel complete. Im really not loving the font on any of them them, keep working on these concepts and you will find a solution. I think the first and the last examples are your best bet for tweaking.

radug

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
UK
D

option D, but lose the i-just-discovered-dafont.com font from "lightbulbs". also, simplify and finish the lightbulb drawing like others suggested.
but a very good start. option D has a good colour scheme.

Last edited:

sevenbe8

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
UK
Thanks for your input so far! On a related note, how can I make this into an actual poll?

You can use doodle to create simple polls or even a bit more sophisticated ones
free of charge. When you get to the site it talks more about scheduling but when you create a poll there is the option to have 'opinions' rather than scheduling an event as such. Hope this helps!

As for the logo - who is it for? What does the company do? Who is their target market?

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
Option A but in the layout of the last one. Also yes,like everyone else said... Enlarge the word tiny. Also with a larger "filament" it gives the impression that the lightbulb itself is tinier sorta,as far as proportions go.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Rules to follow for a good logo:
- make sure it works in pure black and white (not grayscale)
- make sure it can be read and recognized even if it's tiny*

* As a good exemple, you can easily recognize the Apple logo even in its tiny 16x16 pixels favicon format in the URL bar.

If your logo needs to be half the width of my display to be read, there is a problem.

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
Hey guys,

We were having this friend help us out with the logo and took some of the ideas he had, as well as those that were given here, tweaked them, and have finalized things. I appreciate all of the input that everyone gave. Obviously, not every suggested change was implemented, but we're very happy with the final result. For those of you wanting to see the final product, you can check it out on the site: http://www.tinylightbulbs.com

Refugeek

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Belgium
I like the end result somewhat, but I think you'd benefit from organizing a redesign contest on a site like Crowdspring.
Especially the big version could use a little polish imo...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.