Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedRallyeZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
So here is my situation, Im trying to Rip the DVD's of "Gettysburg" and "God's and General's" both of which are LONG movies, so long that they are separated and are on opposite sides of the disc.

So is there anyway to rip those opposite sides of the disc and combine them into one file in iTunes? perfect situation would be being able to click Gettysburg on ATV 2 and have it play all the way through.

Let me know what you think.

hfthomp

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
Yes there is a way to do this using the program DVD2OneX. Basically you combine them into one movie while ripping it off the disc, then use Handbrake to create the file for the ATV2. I have done this on all the Lord of the Rings movies and the Goonies extra long directors cut.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Mkvtoolnix. Assuming that your HB output is MPEG-4, that tool can merge your files as well. It's free by the way.

harpster

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Mkvtoolnix. Assuming that your HB output is MPEG-4, that tool can merge your files as well. It's free by the way.

I use mkvmerge GUI (free-Windows) - you need to "add" the first file do "append" for more files and they will be put back to back in one file. I've used this for mkv files but I believe it works for other file types but not MPEG-2.

posnera

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
I did this with Quicktime (7 I think?)

Open the first part, move the scroll bar all the way to the end. Then drag and drop part two onto the window. The option to save wasn't there (greyed out - I don't have QT Pro), but when I click on the red dot to close the window, it prompted me to save. The resulting file is .mov, but if you rename it to .m4v, it works fine in AppleTV. The only glitch is that chapter numbers restart at 1 when part two starts, but that doesn't matter to me.

tj2001

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
Florida - USA
I did this with Quicktime (7 I think?)

Open the first part, move the scroll bar all the way to the end. Then drag and drop part two onto the window. The option to save wasn't there (greyed out - I don't have QT Pro), but when I click on the red dot to close the window, it prompted me to save. The resulting file is .mov, but if you rename it to .m4v, it works fine in AppleTV. The only glitch is that chapter numbers restart at 1 when part two starts, but that doesn't matter to me.

Not sure if this till works? Attempted this with QT 10 and the second part of the movie did not add or append to the first.

ajohansson

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
Not sure if this till works? Attempted this with QT 10 and the second part of the movie did not add or append to the first.

I tried today and its has started working with Pearl Harbor.

I am running 10.1

Opened disk one. Moved player to end.

Opened finder window with disc 2. Drug into QT window and it added it. Hit the red close button and it asked me to save and I did. It stared exporting a new version. Its still going. I will let you know final outcome in a few hours.

AJ

ajohansson

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
I saw this in another thread. Looks cleaner than the way I did it. ANyways still exporting Pearl Harbor...

1) I handbraked 2 files into .m4v
2) Opened the first segment in Quicktime Player Version 10.1 (501.5)
3) EDIT > ADD CLIP to END....
4) navigate to segment 2, choose
5) close the window and you will be asked where to save it.

ajohansson

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
Well It took 2 hours and no dice...

I have a 3 hour movie but for some reason it just is a blank screen. Working on figuring this out.

AJ

ajohansson

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
Well I think I screwed up the first one. I did the export from file instead of close and save. It says 49 minutes remaining so we will see...

ajohansson

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
Still no joy. It made the file in a m4v format but when I load into QT is shows 3 hours of video but nothing come up when I play it just a black screen. It does count as if its playing though. When I hit the share button to go to iTunes it tries to export but says file is corrupt or something to that nature.

So I built the movie again in QT and now I hit the share button and shows iTunes, iPhone 4/apple tv and its exporting. we shall see.

AJ

ajohansson

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
well after waisting a lot of time today I will be keeping Pearl Harbor in two rips.

QT won't do it on 10.1 Its apparently broken or something as it has an export feature for iPod/apple tv

MKVtools or MP4tools won't do it. I get errors.

mpeg streamclip does it but won't keep the 5.1 dolby.

So I'm keeping both files separate until something better comes along.

AJ

halfbelgian

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
Winnipeg, Canada
well did more research and in QT 7 it works fine. Not even the PRO version just the plain old version. Here is the download page for quicktime 7 and the how to. Whats even crazier is it took about 1 minute to do it and I kept my surround setting. Apple screwed something up big time in QT10

Yep my experience too. QT10 wouldn't even play the resulting .mov properly, sound kept cutting out. :mad: Sure glad I saved QT7, seems more useful in many respects.

BTW opening second part first and dragging first part onto that window works perfectly :)

Your first link doesn't work but pretty simple process in any event.

tj2001

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
Florida - USA
I saw this in another thread. Looks cleaner than the way I did it. ANyways still exporting Pearl Harbor...

1) I handbraked 2 files into .m4v
2) Opened the first segment in Quicktime Player Version 10.1 (501.5)
3) EDIT > ADD CLIP to END....
4) navigate to segment 2, choose
5) close the window and you will be asked where to save it.

Where or how do you have Quicktime 10.1? I ran SW Update and there is no update for QT for me. My version is Quicktime 10.0...

PsyOpWarlord

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I use Elgato Turbo.264 HD to combine movie files into one. Very easy to do. You can get the software as standalone or packaged with their USB hardware accelerator.
http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/Turbo264HD/product1.en.html

They have a trial version here:
http://edgedownloads.elgato.com/turbodownloads/demo/software/turbohd_demo.dmg

combinevideofiles.jpg

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
I *believe* iVI (or iVI Pro) will do this. Have not tried it myself but I'm fairly certain I have seen the option to combine them, customizable of course.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I use mkvmerge GUI (free-Windows) - you need to "add" the first file do "append" for more files and they will be put back to back in one file.
I'd suggest a similar method.

• Run MakeMKV over the first disc to create an MKV of the first half
  • Run MakeMKV over the second disc to create an MKV of the second half
  • Use mkvmerge to append the second half to the first
  • Run the resultant mkv through handbrake

No messing around with QT at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.