Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
First of all, I want to say that I've already sent my MBP off to be repaired, so no tips would really help. I really just want to know if anyone had an issue like mine and what the problem was.

So... Friday morning, I turned on my MBP and was greeted by the normal 'BONG' and the white screen, then a few seconds later the hard drive started to make some bad noise and I immediately shut it off. I turned it back on and it would not go past the initial white screen. It made the 'BONG' noise so it does try to boot I guess. However, it will not go past the white screen. I don't believe it's the hard drive because I cannot even boot from CD and the guy at the Apple store couldn't boot off of his firewire drive. I believe it's the motherboard that failed, but why it failed I'm not sure.

The night before everything was working fine. I was doing some casual web surfing and nothing else. I shut it down and put it on the charger for the night. Nothing out of the ordinary. I was totally surprised when it wouldn't start.

When I tried to boot from Bootcamp, it does not show anything except for the mouse, which does work. No drives show up at all.

Here are my specs:
MacBook Pro 15"
512MB 8600 GT Graphics
4GB RAM
200GB 7200RPM Hard drive
2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo
Bought in the beginning of June.

Things I tried to do to remedy the problem:
SMC reset
NVRAM reset
PRAM reset
reseat RAM modules

Any ideas?

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Sorry to hear about your problem!

Funny... Mine did the EXACT same thing you're describing about 3 months ago. I ended up with a new logic board and a new hard drive.

My problem happened while I was saving a document in Word and all of a sudden, the spinning color wheel showed up. Moments later, the whole machine locked up and I had to do a hard power down.

After powering back on, a got the normal "BONG", but just a blank white screen with no Apple logo and funny sounding clicks from the hard drive. It wouldn't boot off a CD, external FireWire drive, nothing.

I dropped the MBP off at the local mom and pop shop and got it back in about a week. Luckily, I had three other machines to work on.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
Sorry to hear about your problem!

Funny... Mine did the EXACT same thing you're describing about 3 months ago. I ended up with a new logic board and a new hard drive.

My problem happened while I was saving a document in Word and all of a sudden, the spinning color wheel showed up. Moments later, the whole machine locked up and I had to do a hard power down.

After powering back on, a got the normal "BONG", but just a blank white screen with no Apple logo and funny sounding clicks from the hard drive. It wouldn't boot off a CD, external FireWire drive, nothing.

I dropped the MBP off at the local mom and pop shop and got it back in about a week. Luckily, I had three other machines to work on.

Unfortunately, I didn't have an extra machine and had to drive 4.5 hours back home to get my old Dell to use for the next few weeks.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
hard drive seems dead. Get that replaced first, then move on to the logic board if the problem is still there.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
hard drive seems dead. Get that replaced first, then move on to the logic board if the problem is still there.

If the machine won't even boot off a CD (like the TechTools diagnostics disc you get with AppleCare), it's likely that the hard drive isn't the only problem.

antmo

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
you could also try removing the hard drive before booting the diagnostics cd... the machine may be hung trying to access the bad drive and/or bad sata port or something...

mjb

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
If the machine won't even boot off a CD (like the TechTools diagnostics disc you get with AppleCare), it's likely that the hard drive isn't the only problem.

you could also try removing the hard drive before booting the diagnostics cd... the machine may be hung trying to access the bad drive and/or bad sata port or something...

mjb

yep. as i mentioned earlier, worse comes to worse its a dead logic too. but for sure we know the HD is borked.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
I never tried single user mode, but I can't try it and doubt it would have worked. I tried starting diagnostics by holding down D when I turned it on and it wouldn't even go into that. I'm not sure if the hard drive is bad. It is still wirring and clicks like it's reading it, but nothing happens. It could be the SATA on the drive of logic board is fried. I'm really just looking for causes. I didn't do anything that I think would have fried it. No bad weather and it's on a surge strip. Again, my machine is somewhere between Jackson, MS, and Houston, TX, according to Apple Support.

Doesn't opening up the machine void the warranty? It has 10+ screws keeping the keyboard on for a reason, and I'm sure it's probably to keep the end user out.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
it doesn't, unless you break something in the process. If it did, i'm sure apple would put tamper indicators in places. But they don't.

iJesus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Reno, Nevada
I'm sure it's the hard drive. I have a MBP and I have had this happen to me twice. Hard drive has died.

They did upgrade the hard drive for free though.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
i just put in a Hitachi 320GB i got from OWC for $80 after rebates. Cloned my OSX and Windows partitions over. No problems to report.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Does anyone know if the Hitachi 200GB 7200RPM hard drives are notoriously unreliable?

I couldn't say whether they are or not. The problem (very similar to the one described in this thread) I had in the past involved a fried logic board that in turn killed the hard drive; or it could have been the other way around - who knows?

But I've owned several Hitachi drives in the past and none of them have given me any problems - they all still function.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
I couldn't say whether they are or not. The problem (very similar to the one described in this thread) I had in the past involved a fried logic board that in turn killed the hard drive; or it could have been the other way around - who knows?

But I've owned several Hitachi drives in the past and none of them have given me any problems - they all still function.

Well they're ready to ship the laptop back. They replaced the hard drive, top case, and keyboard.

The top case was scratched up by the laptop rubbing itself in my book bag, and I'm not sure what they found wrong with the keyboard unless they replaced the trackpad which was giving me heck. I want to say they replaced the hard drive controller (but not the logic board) if that makes sense.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
Well I just got my laptop back after some shipping errors.
Here's what they replaced with the numbers and descriptions:

655-1413A DA, HITACHI DOLPHIN-C SATA 200GB HDD-7200RPM
632-0636 FLEX ASSY,SATA-HDD/IR/SIL,M87
016-0028 RESTORE: OS Software to latest update
658-0346 ASSY,KEYBOARD,M87
605-1617 TOP CASE ASSY
605-1453 PCBA.MLB,2.5GHZ,THERM,M87

I can pretty much figure out what all of them are except the last one... Is this a new processor? Or new thermal greese?
I also noticed the 'latest update' was 10.5.3. Haha... I also noticed OSX was taking up 20GB of my drive just clean back from repair. I thought it was a little much and am reinstalling OSX from CD. It's my first experience and so far it's going well. My 1st disk was dirty and couldn't be read, but a soft wet rag fixed that. I think it had the residue from the adhesive from the plastic sleeve.

Kind of sad they didn't replace the logic board so I don't have to send it in for a GPU failure as soon. It's really sad that Nvidia's defect has affected so many. I've seen so many threads on bad GPU's that I'm fairly convinced that the current MBP's are affected by the defect.

I like that they replaced the top case. It was getting scratched up by itself from being in my bookbag. I have a different bookbag that shouldn't cause that (designed for laptops) and it really did bother me because it wasn't something I could just clean up. My poor old Dell Inspiron E1505 still looks good and I must give it to dell that they had a good case design with this laptop. If it was only not 1.5" thick and weighed what it feels like to be 10lbs. It's served me well, and has gone through a lot of abuse (a little kid once tried to saw through it with a hacksaw) I was able to sand out the spot and it looks like new. The Mac wouldn't look that way after a hacksaw. Haha...

I'm just glad I don't have to use this Dell anymore. Battery life sucks, and even though I only have like 100 cycles on the battery, it won't last more than 40 minutes and the wear level is over 50% after one year. Dell, of course, won't replace it because it's over a year old.

Well, afraid of being bashed for liking this old clunky Dell, I'm going to end this post. If anyone knows what that last part is above, please tell me. I searched on Google for the number but it didn't come up.

Thanks,

Ryan

cavenewt

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2007
That IS the logic board

Heya Ryan

That last entry, MLB, *is* the main logic board.

I've been googling this problem for a while, since I have 2 client computers plus my own which are doing the same thing (intermittently, or always, booting to the white screen.) It appears to be just the hard drive in some cases, and in other cases Apple replaces both the hard drive AND the logic board. Then there are some lucky few who recover just by reformatting their drive or repairing the directory. But it always seems to involve the drive.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
After they replaced and fixed it, I had a lot of trouble with my trackpad. I sent it in twice and each time they replaced the top case and logic board, without any fix. They then replaced the whole laptop with a new 15" Unibody MBP, and so far it's been pretty good minus a bad key when I received it.

DingleBerry2112

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Make sure whether you have a white screen or blue that you give it a good half hour to see if it boots. I've had it take a very long time to process, but it will. A little patience will help you in the long run.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
Just to let you know, the problem was over a year ago with a different laptop. It was the logic board and the hard drive at fault.

WaveyDonAlpy

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
yep. as i mentioned earlier, worse comes to worse its a dead logic too. but for sure we know the HD is borked.

You are right! I have the same problem! If possible, this Saturday I'll take it to the Apple Store for Repairing! No Apple Logo :)apple:) Comes up even the startup shortcuts work. Even when Me and My Friend tried to boot off from the Snow Leopard Install DVD, The DVD Stuck in there. Tried to take it out from the Drive by holding the Trackpad while booting but it didn't!

jb747

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
Just had this problem this morning, on my late 2010 I7 Macbook Pro.

Warranty ran out a couple of weeks ago, and I used that as an excuse to open it up and replace the HDD with an SSD, so I figured it was either the SSD or something that I'd done.

But, before opening it up, I had a look at every reference I could find on the net, and on the Apple site I found reference to resetting the NVRAM/PRAM. Followed the instructions, and I'm back in business.

hookie

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
won't boot past white screen..resolved!!

ok people i had the same problem with my macbook pro, it wouldn't go any further than the white screen with the apple logo and the spinning wheel..i tried every repair given and a lot more, one said to turn off computer press option+command+R+P together then press start. i didn't know what key was the option key so i pressed the control key + command + R + P and then hit the start button the white screen came back on and i continued pressing these keys for about half a minute then the grey screen came on and i was given the option to restore my macbook from disc or from a back-up on an external hard drive i don't have any discs so i chose to restore from a back-up i connected my external hard drive and restored my macbook to an earlier back-up and hey presto I'm now on my macbook writing this post. you will also get the option of repairing your drives if that is the problem..hope this helps you all out

ginaguerere

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012

i know this was like 4 years ago but just incase anyone comes by this and needs to know whats wrong, this happens to me all the time, we have the same laptop too, no need to send your laptop anywhere, you dont have to pay or anything. The first time this happened to me i didnt no what to do, then my dad looked in the book it came with, and he pressed the on buttom 8 times in a row, then it turned on... But to make sure i took it to the apple store and for free they checked it and it was fine again. And it just happened to me like 20 minutes ago. So i feel bad for everyone who had to pay to press a buttom acouple times...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.