Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

susumandrai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
I had ripped music from CD's to itunes. Accidentally my wife deleted them. Is there any possible way that I can recover them? I can only use freeware or manual methods as I am out of budget to purchase software!

Any help would be appreciated.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I had ripped music from CD's to itunes. Accidentally my wife deleted them. Is there any possible way that I can recover them? I can only use freeware or manual methods as I am out of budget to purchase software!

Any help would be appreciated.
If she only deleted them from the iTunes library and not the files themselves, you can simply add them back. If the files themselves have been deleted, you should be able to restore them from a backup. Of course, you DO have a backup, don't you?

susumandrai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
If she only deleted them from the iTunes library and not the files themselves, you can simply add them back. If the files themselves have been deleted, you should be able to restore them from a backup. Of course, you DO have a backup, don't you?

Actually I am very new to using Macbook. I got it only recently and its only today that I learnt that you can go to time machine and set it up for backups. If I haven't set time machine earlier, this means I have no back ups - I don't know if I am right!
And I went to music folder to check for my music files, they are not there. There are some in trash - which I recovered but the rest can't be seen!

susumandrai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
Actually I am very new to using Macbook. I got it only recently and its only today that I learnt that you can go to time machine and set it up for backups. If I haven't set time machine earlier, this means I have no back ups - I don't know if I am right!
And I went to music folder to check for my music files, they are not there. There are some in trash - which I recovered but the rest can't be seen!

Earlier in the day I used disk drill. It scanned and showed me about 150 media files but asked me to purchase to recover...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Earlier in the day I used disk drill. It scanned and showed me about 150 media files but asked me to purchase to recover..."

That's the way the file recovery apps (such as DiskDrill, DataRescue3, Stellar Phoenix) work.

You download them "for free", then run the apps to see if they actually can find anything to recover.

If they do, you pay the registration fee, and the program goes to work and recovers the files.

BTW, you _should_ be using a separate drive as a "scratch drive" to which the files are recovered. If you try to recover to the internal drive, some of the deleted files might get "over-written".

If you don't have an external drive, I'd suggest one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0
(many items shown, they all work the same, just pick one you like that's cheap, some are only $20)

... and then get a "bare hard drive" (SATA) to go into it. I like newegg.com for a vendor.

Once you have the drive and dock, put the bare drive into the dock, connect it to the Mac and turn it on. It won't be initialized yet, so open "Disk Utility" and initialize it for the Mac. When done, it will mount on the desktop (before you turn it off, drag the icon for the drive to the trash to "dismount" it).

You'll now have the "scratch drive" you need for your recovery.

Suggestion:
Partition the external drive, make one partition as large as the Mac's internal drive. Then use the free "CarbonCopyCloner" app to create a "bootable clone" backup of the internal drive. Get CCC here:
http://www.bombich.com
Very easy to learn and use, and one of the best pieces of software for the Mac, and again, it's free.
This will serve you MUCH better than Time Machine....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.