Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phenyl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Hi All,

I am trying to format a 3TB WD Elements (USB 2) external HD, GUID, 1 Partition Mac Extended Journaled. The formatting goes ok.

If I click on the "3TB WD Ext HDD 1021 Media" on the left in Disk Utility and hit "verify disk", I get the following error message:

"Checking the EFI system partition’s file system
Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting
Error: The partition map needs to be repaired because there’s a problem with the EFI system partition’s file system."

A 'repair disk' goes through without hitch, but if I hit 'verify disk' again, I get the same error.

I wonder if I can just disregard this or if I will encounter problems somewhere down the line.

Thank you very much for your help.

deviation

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
I am having the exact same issue with my Seagate 3TB GoFlex drive. Does anyone have any insight into this? Thanks.

volcom883

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2008
istanbul
similar error message with my new 3tb WD elements external hd..

"The partition map needs to be repaired because there’s a problem with the EFI system partition’s file system."

when i hit repair it says it ok but re hitting verify disk prompts the same error message!

update:
just got off the phone with WD, they say that their products are still under testing for mac os lion..

update 2:
verified the hd using mac leopard. no error whatsoever. if using lion, simply ignore the error message!

Last edited:

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Seems to be a general error for 3TB drives in Lion...
Wasted half a day trying to "fix" this problem.

fbx

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
"problem with the EFI system partition's file system"

Seems to be a general error for 3TB drives in Lion...
Wasted half a day trying to "fix" this problem.

I am having the same problem with WD 3TB external drive. I partitioned it as 3 1TB drives, then decided to redo that to make two 500G drives and 1 2TB drive, so erased and reformatted from Disk Utility/Erase/Erase, which made one partition. Then I went to PARTITION TAB and made three partitions and sized them and named them as wanted.

Did APPLY and that worked fine. Checked each of the three HDs with FIRST AID/Verify Disk and all looked fine.

Then highlighted 3 TB WD Ext HDD 1021 Media in left panel and tried Verify Disk on that and got the dreaded

ALERT
The partition map needs to be repaired because there's a problem with the EFI system partition's file system.

message. Did OK then Repair Disk and it reported "The partition map has been repaired" after 10 or 11 lines of checking and "creating new EFI system partition," etc.

Am running LION but am still inclined to worry these HD partitions will not be safe to use (for backups--CCC clone, Super Duper Clone, Time Machine).

Anyone find any further detail or color on this problem? I've put a note on the Apple support forum (iMac) but get no responses.

Thx.

cadbury

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2011
"The partition map needs to be repaired because there’s a problem with the EFI system

just ignore what Lion says. Your 3TB is fine.

I just bought a Seagate 3TB USB Expansion External HD and have exactly the same problem when verifying the disk.

"The partition map needs to be repaired because there’s a problem with the EFI system partition’s file system.”

It repairs ‘ok’ but get the same error message when verifying again.

As this thread has been running for 4 months or so and its still a problem!.... Has anyone had problems using their ‘drives’ while ignoring the error message?

I feel very uneasy trusting the drive as a reliable backup!

Many thanks

PrinceDraven

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
London, UK
I just bought a Seagate 3TB USB Expansion External HD and have exactly the same problem when verifying the disk.

"The partition map needs to be repaired because there’s a problem with the EFI system partition’s file system.”

It repairs ‘ok’ but get the same error message when verifying again.

As this thread has been running for 4 months or so and its still a problem!.... Has anyone had problems using their ‘drives’ while ignoring the error message?

I feel very uneasy trusting the drive as a reliable backup!

Many thanks

I have this drive and also have this error and I am having issues. The drive is now taking forever to read from.
Trying to find a fix as it is definately not behaving.
I store video on the drive and if I try to play anything it takes literally minutes to load and even fails quite regularly.

If anyone has any fix I would be grateful to hear.

DagazaGZ

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
I have the same problem with my Seagate 4TB, although the drive seems to be working fine. I'm hoping it's just Lion, would prefer that to having my drive fail.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I have the same problem with my Seagate 4TB, although the drive seems to be working fine. I'm hoping it's just Lion, would prefer that to having my drive fail.

I just got the 3tb goflex for mac..should it be making this weird squeaking sound on initial startup. Its not the drives spinning up since I know what sounds like...it does these 2 squeaks then you don't hear it again unless you allow the drives to go into idle. It's definitely not write related since I'm writing to it right now and there's no noise whatsoever.

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
I have this drive and also have this error and I am having issues. The drive is now taking forever to read from.
Trying to find a fix as it is definately not behaving.
I store video on the drive and if I try to play anything it takes literally minutes to load and even fails quite regularly.

If anyone has any fix I would be grateful to hear.

I would call the manufacturer that sounds like a hardware problem.

And it's HDD, not HD, that stands for High Definition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.