Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is expected to reveal the new iPad at a media event in the first week of March. The new iPad is widely believed to carry a ultra-high resolution 2048x1536 display that exceeds the resolution of 1080p content. Apple, however, presently only offers a maximum of 720p HD content on their iTunes Store. 720p also happens to be the maximum resolution that the current generation Apple TV supports.

product-product.jpg

We've already seen evidence that Apple has been working on a next generation Apple TV. Back in October, references to an unreleased "AppleTV3,1" model were found in the latest versions of iOS 5. Meanwhile, Apple has reportedly asked movie studios to start submitting 1080p content to the iTunes Store late last year.

A Retina Display iPad would represent an opportunity for Apple to launch a 1080p iTunes Store. It would also make sense for it to correspond to an Apple TV update. 9to5Mac now notes that stock of the current generation Apple TV is running low amongst retailers such as BestBuy, Target and Amazon. The timing suggests that the Apple TV could be getting a refresh around the same timeframe as the iPad.

The Apple TV is a product that we haven't tracked in our Buyer's Guide. The reason is that the Apple TV is unique in that it is more of a living room appliance whose primary purpose is to play iTunes content on your television. As a result, as long as the Apple TV can play all current iTunes content, there's been no compelling reason for Apple to offer a major hardware upgrade. In October, we wrote:
So, we can't be certain when Apple might be launching a new Apple TV, but believe it would be tied to other offerings, either 1080p HD iTunes content or another television initiative altogether.
If Apple does see the iPad 3 as an a opportunity to launch the rumored 1080p iTunes Store, then it seems likely the Apple TV will follow.

Article Link: iPad 3 to Pave Way for 1080p iTunes Content and a New Apple TV?

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Hell yeah! As long as it is not a compressed-as-hell stream! Hell, I would tolerate 720p if I didn't see any artifact!

Kids play room, prepare to have an Apple TV 2! :)

Hell, I said hell a lot, didn't I?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Isn't this just a summary of old rumours?? Nothing new here...not that we didn't guess already..oh, yes, it's Sunday...

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Apple will be left behind if it does not start offering unlimited streaming movies for a flat monthly subscription. It's already getting killed by Amazon, Netflix, LoveFilm, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, 4OD etc

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've heard iTunes movie packages are required to be 1080p. You have to submit a prores file. Apple does the encoding from there. I don't think studios have to resubmit anything.

Last edited:

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Apple will be left behind if it does not start offering unlimited streaming movies for a flat monthly subscription. It's already getting killed by Amazon, Netflix, LoveFilm, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, 4OD etc

Makes sense, but I am interested in seeing some numbers to back that up.

Looks like I will be moving the AT2 to the kids' room and start re-encoding my BDs at 1080P.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Do you think they'll upgrade everyone's HD content to 1080. Can't see them selling two different HD versions

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

1080p content has been a long time coming. IDK why Apple contradicts their occasional revolutions (retina display, thunderbolt, ACD) with archaic offerings (MBP 13" res, 720p iTunes HD, Pro PCI graphics...etc)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

Unfortunately, I think Apple sees the iTunes Store competing against Blu-ray and video on demand (PPV), not Netflix or the like.

One thing I hope they launch with the new iPad is iCloud for Movies. Surely it's coming.

fozzy.bear

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
Rochester ny
McCartney "HD" Stream not impressive

The problems with the recent iTunes Live presentation of the Paul McCartney Live concert certainly point out that the little black box ain't got the guts to do what it's sposed to do...so a refresh would be a good thing. My frustration threshold was passed the first night we tried to use it for the live stream. Looking closely at what was streamed subsequently certainly looked like a low resolution version of the original...artifacting, etc. If there's going to be a TV then there's still a ton of work to be done before that puppy is ready for prime time.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
This is EXACTLY what I've been waiting for!!!

A 1080p AppleTV that I can jailbreak so I can load up XBMC (and get my SlingPlayer going on there too, replacing my SlingCatcher) and aTV Flash so I can stream content directly from my Time Capsule (without the need for a "middleman.")

All for $99, SWEET!!! :D

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Finally take full advantage of that brand new data center :eek:

Bring on the new Airport Extreme and iPad 3 combo :D

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
To be honest for my use, I'm happy with 720p
I have a HD movie collection in iTunes all encoded to 720p. and netflix, that's all my usage.. I don't get movies from the iTunes store at all, so I wouldn't have much use for this

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC

They have GOT to open an ATV app store already. Netflix is all well and good, but where's HBO Go, Amazon VOD, Blockbuster, Hulu? And can you imagine how they can revolutionize home gaming? They'll do to the ps3 and wii what they did to the PSP and DSi. An A5 and RAM bump would really be all the ATV needs to have the oomph to do this.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC

Navdakilla said:
To be honest for my use, I'm happy with 720p
I have a HD movie collection in iTunes all encoded to 720p. and netflix, that's all my usage.. I don't get movies from the iTunes store at all, so I wouldn't have much use for this

We should probably let Apple know right away, so they can kill the project now.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Note also that none of these services had taken personal/digital entertainment by storm.

It's just a lot of players offering the same things with certain modifications, either in content, price, etc.

Sounds *a lot* like the current TV/content provider situation. All we have is a lot fluff and very little differentiation.

Apple can see this, too.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
You should be able to use the iPad as a monitor for stuff.

1. Make the Apple TV (and Airport stations?) have AV input in addition to the current audio output.

2. Use Airplay or something to let an iPad connect to one of these devices and view what is going in.

3. Enjoy using your iPad as a portable TV.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The problems with the recent iTunes Live presentation of the Paul McCartney Live concert certainly point out that the little black box ain't got the guts to do what it's sposed to do...so a refresh would be a good thing. My frustration threshold was passed the first night we tried to use it for the live stream. Looking closely at what was streamed subsequently certainly looked like a low resolution version of the original...artifacting, etc. If there's going to be a TV then there's still a ton of work to be done before that puppy is ready for prime time.

That had more to do with the broadcast and server-side issues, than Apple TV hardware. HD movie and TV show streaming looks absolutely fine on the Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.