Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
It's been 2+ hours .... I brought my computer to apple and they had to reformat the 2TB harddrive, which is now a different name. So I get that it needs to upload all of that again, but I don't understand why time machine says "cleaning up old backups" for hours and hours ... ?

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks ... I'm frustrated that Apple reformatted the second internal drive so that it's now named "Macintosh HD 2 1" When I try to rename it without the 1, the one just appears anyway. But bizarrly, in the finder, it appears as "Macintosh HD 2." So who knows ...

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
To fix that issue (after the process is done), disconnect the drive, open Terminal, and run the following commands:
Code:
cd /Volumes
ls

If you see in the displayed list more drives than are actually attached, they are "stuck" drives that have become folders and just need to be deleted. If you are absolutely sure that a specific folder isn't an actual drive, you can run the following to remove it (after the above commands):

Code:
sudo rm -rf [I]notARealDrive[/I]

Once you have run this, you can reattach your drive and it should go back to the name without the 1.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Wow I wish I'd asked earlier ... I spent a good number of hours pointing a lot of my apps to the "new" drive's data. Gar.

Thanks so much, however. I will keep this handy!

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
I'd recommend some patience. It can take some time.

Same problem here of the original poster, my TM is taking more than 2 hours to "clean the old backups" but in my case the HD that as been backup is only 256GB... Not 2 TB, is this normal? Is there anyway I can guess how long will it still take?

Thanks for your reply...

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
For who is curious my TM is now doing some backup works, it does says 70 of 120 GB... It has been on all the time since this morning..

I went for a walk and got back home with the hope it would have long finished but I was wrong...

Damn!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.