Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
How To Never Forget Your iPhone Passcode...

1. Use the last four digits of your social security number. If you forget it you have more serious problems than a lost passcode...

2. Use 1Password or another encrypted program to store all your passcodes, serial numbers, etc. If you sync 1Password via Dropbox the info is available on every Mac and iOS device that you own.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
1. Use the last four digits of your social security number. If you forget it you have more serious problems than a lost passcode...

2. Use 1Password or another encrypted program to store all your passcodes, serial numbers, etc. If you sync 1Password via Dropbox the info is available on every Mac and iOS device that you own.

1) will work in some cases. If you're like me, and only enable passcode at work because they make you leave your phone outside the office where anyone can get at it, then you're probably enabling disabling the passcode in a high traffic area. Because of this , I change my code daily so that even if someone sees me enter it once, it won't be the same when/if they try to grab my phone and snoop it while I"m working. I'm more concerned with snooping than theft.

I've actually started just leaving my phone in my car. It sucks that I can't check personal calls/email/etc during the work day, but locking/unlocking the phone all of the time and switching the PIN every day go to be too much of a hassle.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
1)Because of this , I change my code daily so that even if someone sees me enter it once, it won't be the same when/if they try to grab my phone and snoop it while I"m working. I'm more concerned with snooping than theft.

...but locking/unlocking the phone all of the time and switching the PIN every day go to be too much of a hassle.

My take on this is that you are being paranoid. You are making things way too difficult for yourself. Just set the passcode once and forget it. Unless someone is looking over your shoulder when you enter the passcode no one will be able to see it.

tdotboys

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
Hey guys. New to forums. Reason is simple, i lost my phone few hours ago. I had pass lock on my iphone 4. My only concern is, anyone who got my phone, will that person be able to get into my phone for my notes/contacts/text messages etc. Please clarify. I am not much worried about phone but only my info. Thanks in advance.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Hey guys. New to forums. Reason is simple, i lost my phone few hours ago. I had pass lock on my iphone 4. My only concern is, anyone who got my phone, will that person be able to get into my phone for my notes/contacts/text messages etc. Please clarify. I am not much worried about phone but only my info. Thanks in advance.

No, they can't. In order for whoever wants to use this phone again, he/she must restore it with itunes and all of your info will be erased. So, don't worry about it.

tdotboys

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
Thank You very much. I was so stressed out. Thanks again. Much appreciated.
No, they can't. In order for whoever wants to use this phone again, he/she must restore it with itunes and all of your info will be erased. So, don't worry about it.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004

Did you go to iCloud.com and log in? You should be able to locate your phone, leave a message, or wipe it clean from iCloud.

Emmybird

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2012
Sob story on why I need to get into my bf's iphone

Hi this is gona sound paranoid but I'm 5 months pregnant and think my bf is cheating on me, we can't do anything due to complications in my pregnancy and yesterday I saw a text come up from a woman saying ok no prob we can meet anotherday babe xxxx i havnt got his code as he keeps changing it if he thinks ive seen so my ask is can I get into his phone without having to reset it or get on his laptop as he's got a password on that too, as I need proof/peace of mind if anything is going on !!

Last edited:

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Hi this is gona sound paranoid but I'm 5 months pregnant and think my bf is cheating on me, we can't do anything due to complications in my pregnancy and yesterday I saw a text come up from a woman saying ok no prob we can meet anotherday babe xxxx i havnt got his code as he keeps changing it if he thinks ive seen so my ask is can I get into his phone without having to reset it or get on his laptop as he's got a password on that too, as I need proof/peace of mind if anything is going on !!

Hon, no offense intended, but if you saw that and you're that worried, getting into his phone isn't going to help. Either talk to him about it, or walk away from him.

Emmybird

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2012
Hon, no offense intended, but if you saw that and you're that worried, getting into his phone isn't going to help. Either talk to him about it, or walk away from him.

Thanks think is gona be the latter as I've spoken to him an nothing seems to ring tru. Would still like proof though lol.

ddegrasse

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2012
I've been lurking on this forums since i had a mac (3 years) i think it's time to participate...

If you know the basics of hacking your iphone you can follow this method to bypass your iphone passcode link here

Thank you. You actually provided a solution to these people's problems.

To the people having this problem: follow that link. If you jailbreak, then go download iexplorer (http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/) and connect your phone, go into root/mobile/library/preferences, and delete com.apple.springboard.plist. This will reset your homescreen layout, but you can get back on the iphone.

RoyWill

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Thanks think is gona be the latter as I've spoken to him an nothing seems to ring tru. Would still like proof though lol.

If I were you, get a new boy friend is the best answer... I think you do not only lose the passcode to the iphone.. you also lose the passcode to your boyfriend... sorry if I have offended you...

Oakstic

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
Just a quick question if my iPhone was stolen, they only have to plug it into a computer and sync as a new device to bypass my passcode?

Oakstic

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
That's a bummer.. Was hoping that there would be no way of circumventing the passcode, rendering the iPhone useless without the code :(

normanbates

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2011
Maybe we should lobby Apple to add a 'destroy my iPhone' function that can only be activated with network/operator approval if the phone is stolen

Oakstic

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
Yea like only the telcos can unlock the phone and only with proof of purchase or something

Director mayor

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
Easier than with iTunes.

Easier than going through iTunes. My daughter couldn’t remember her password, tried 4 times to push all the buttons and hook to my computer to restore to factory settings. Each time it said couldn’t connect because it was locked and I need to enter pass code. I called apple. They said do the same thing. Didn’t work. I asked them about wiping it clean through the find I phone app I had on my iPad that enables you to wipe an apple product if lost. She said I have never heard of that, but it may work. Sure enough I tried it and it took 5 seconds to wipe it back to factory settings through find I phone app. Wish I had figured that out prior to the 2 hours trying the computer way.

eross

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
I got to this thread, trying to answer a question:
How good a protection is using a passcode on my iphone? If it gets stolen, can the thief put the phone in DFU mode and restore (erase) it on any any computer? Or does the fact that the phone is pass-locked prevent this?
Thanks

Edit:
I found this here:If you restore on a different computer that was never synced with the device, you will be able to unlock the device for use and remove the passcode, but your data will not be present.

So basically, all the password does is protect my data. If my phone is stolen, the thief can simply restore it and erase all the data, thus achieving a "new" iphone he can sell.
Too bad. I was hoping it would render the phone useless.

Last edited:

Jack 77

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
Solved

Sell it on craigslist. That's where all the other stolen iPhones are dumped. :mad:

Obviously this guy has never forgotten a password in his life. I'll bet he's never had to call a locksmith either. Must be nice.

Anyways this problem has already been solved. You can easily recover your iPhone password with a couple of quick downloads and some instructions. There is even an entire website dedicated to helping people in your situation.

Recover your iPhone passcode.

Coco13

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
Here is one for you all! I have never hooked my iPhone 4 up to a computer! I have never had an iPhone before the 4 but my husband has and he decided it would be funny to put a passcode on my iPhone and leave it there! He want tell me what it is and I can't figure it out! I don't know what to do I can't get into my phone and it has all my work on it and he is a butt and want tell me please help me! And I promise I didn't steal it I'm just not real technologically friendly! And now it's disabled for 60 mins because I have tried to much!!! This sucks I truly hate that man sometimes

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Here is one for you all! I have never hooked my iPhone 4 up to a computer! I have never had an iPhone before the 4 but my husband has and he decided it would be funny to put a passcode on my iPhone and leave it there! He want tell me what it is and I can't figure it out! I don't know what to do I can't get into my phone and it has all my work on it and he is a butt and want tell me please help me! And I promise I didn't steal it I'm just not real technologically friendly!

Yea sure. Anyway not much you can do if it's locked aside from a DFU restore or put itching powder in his talcum.

Coco13

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
I'm fixin to do something! If he don't unlock the **** thing I'm fixing to be divorced or I'm gonna beat his *** one! This is bull! Thanks anyway for helping!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.