Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
i love using the notepad on my iphone, and since getting an ipad last month, i love using it on there too. and the syncing is great.

however...

at some point soon after getting the ipad and getting both running on ios5, i had several very important notes (with important info) disappear. i don't know when, i don't know how, i don't know how, and i certainly don't know where they went.

has this happened to anyone else?

in system settings, the default account is set on icloud - if that means anything.

thoughts?

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I've lost some notes. Some notes have been duplicated. Some notes have had the wrong title (strange, as I thought it created the title based on contents).

I sync notes with two Gmail accounts. I don't use local notes or iCloud notes. I had around 300 or so before I noticed some of the first ones were now "corrupted".

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
at least, i know i'm not crazy... i knew something was strange. i believe i've had a note duplicated, as well.

i have reported the issue to apple. and i'm sure they are aware of it.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
Pen and paper :D
I love the convenience of notes, calendar etc., but when they don't work wright :mad:, whats the point of having them. At times I feel like getting back to 3GS phone and never update any software LOL, but really that was my most fav. phone.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I have some notes disappear as well. I thought maybe I was going crazy and somehow managed to delete them. Luckily nothing too important, but I still, I sure would like them back. I am guessing that won't happen though :(

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
i'm imagining that with enough time, many who use notes will come forward to report disappearing notes.

----------

i guess this is another reasons to use evernote.

at least evernote also works on a mac. or am i missing something? is there a way for notes to work on mac?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Haven't had this issue. Actually the opposite. Things I delete randomly showing up later. Think that has to do with one of my macs though.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I sync notes with two Gmail accounts. I don't use local notes or iCloud notes. I had around 300 or so before I noticed some of the first ones were now "corrupted".

That is what I do. I have all my notes synced with my Gmail account so I know I won't lose them. I don't trust storing them locally.

zahiro

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
Don't Trust IPAD Notes

This is the first time I have ever posted something on a Forum. I feel strongly about this. Don't trust the IPAD notes. I have just had 4 important notes disappear from both my MAC and IPAD, and another one did not save the previous entry. This is only what I know about. When I got the IPAD I tested it thoroughly and then went blissfully along until this morning when I looked for something important (where I had made multiple entries over several months). It wasn't there. It wasn't on the MAC. Gone. Won't ever trust it again.

Zahiro

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

For important notes duplicate them. Save them in gmail notes and iCloud notes. That is if they are truly that important. It's what business and lawyers do. Wanna be super sure, Make Triplicate copies.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
That is what I do. I have all my notes synced with my Gmail account so I know I won't lose them. I don't trust storing them locally.

How to access your notes from your gmail account. Like on your mac or a
Pc.. Is there any way??

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

They're in the ALL MAIL folder

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Why can I go to Gmail.com on the website on a computer and create notes that will show up in the Notes app? I can delete them from Gmail.com but I can't edit them or create them. Why? Sometimes I find text that I wan't to copy and be able sync it with the Notes app.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
This is probably overkill for some folks, but you might want to consider using Evernote. If all you're doing is modest note-taking, the free tier should be fine. You have web, pc, iOS, and Mac clients, and they work rather well. The only downside is that, if you haven't used the iOS app in a while, the sync-at-startup can take a moment.

ru4real

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this is still a serious issue. I just lost a really important note and finally realized where a note I have been looking for for weeks disappeared to. The one that I've been looking for could potentially mean having lost a lot of money at my job, so long story short I will never trust this app again.

For anyone saying that we should make duplicates or triplicates of our notes, sorry to be so blunt, but that is just stupid. Apps that sync in the cloud should have 0% possibility of being lost irrecoverably. I will simply move to another app that I can trust (i.e. evernote).

rymoucha

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
Same problem

I have also lost a very important note (part of a dissertation actually). People at apple asked me to contact Google because my synchro was done with gmail and not icloud (which do not work well together and hence this mess). the thing is Google is unreachable, when I called I was told they do not offer direct customer service. Did anyone of you try to contact Google to retrieve your magically disappeared notes????

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I have also lost a very important note (part of a dissertation actually). People at apple asked me to contact Google because my synchro was done with gmail and not icloud (which do not work well together and hence this mess). the thing is Google is unreachable, when I called I was told they do not offer direct customer service. Did anyone of you try to contact Google to retrieve your magically disappeared notes????

My notes also sync to Gmail. There is a category called Notes in the hierarchy of folders. Today I found that my notes have also been saved in the Gmail Sent Mail folder. Try looking in both places. If successful, post your results. Good luck.

luceeele

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2013
Notes app loses notes

So I too have this problem. What is the solution? I see on the computer there
is "Recovered Notes" and there are many in there, but why did they all
jump out of their folders and why isn't there a "Recovered Notes" folder on the ipad and iphone?

I was keeping important notes in there.... I don't even remember what they all were now.

Like one person wrote in this forum, "What's the sense in using it if they are going to disappear?"

Reminds me of a Western Digital backup harddrive that lost all my files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.