Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The GW2 beta is starting very soon. You can run this game on your intel Mac by installing Windows via Bootcamp. Just be sure you read up which version of Windows your MacOS supports. My understanding is that MacOS 6&7 support Windows 7. MacOS5 supports Vista. However I've not verified this 100% See this Apple Bootcamp Article.

Guild Wars 2 promises to be an innovative new approach to MMORPGs. The traditional MMORPG trinity of Tank, Healer, Damage roles have been tossed. There are no dedicated tanks or healers. In fact, according to what I've read, the best heal skills are self heals. There is no traditional "Tank-Grabs-Aggro" mechanism in the game. If you are unfamiliar, (Aggro= Aggravate), a character's ability to grab the attention of an in-game character and make it attack you and only you, the Tank, while receiving almost constant healing and support from other party members during the fight. In GW2, Aggro is based on proximity and it is reported that some mobs have unique Aggro A.I.!

For example:
Healing & Death in GW2- This article provides a strong indication that GW2 is not going to be cookie cutter MMO. I find this very interesting as to how it will actually play out while grouping. Will there be a defacto healer? NO. Self heals are the best.

Some professions will have special skills that will instantly rally a fallen ally. For example, when a warrior uses "I Will Avenge You," and then kills an enemy nearby his fallen allies, his allies will rally. While you are downed or defeated, any other player can come to you and interact with you to bring you back to life. We call this "reviving," and everyone, regardless of profession, can do this starting at Level 1.

...Guild Wars 2 does not have a dedicated healing class.

For more GW info, I have created a MR Guild Wars 2 Quick And Dirty Guide.

Last edited:

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
Thanks for the vids. I'm really looking forward to trying this when it comes out.

I'm hoping that the support and control roles turn out well. I've healed and dps'ed many WoW dungeons, but the tanking aspect never really fit my style.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks for the vids. I'm really looking forward to trying this when it comes out.

I'm hoping that the support and control roles turn out well. I've healed and dps'ed many WoW dungeons, but the tanking aspect never really fit my style.

You won't have to tank if you don't wanna. :) The combat videos really got me excited about this game. Course I was excited about SWTOR too...

I've started compiling links in a MR GW2 Quick & Dirty Guide.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I anticipate Guild Wars 2 greatly, mostly about the combat, no longer do you need to wait hours for a certain class to appear to group together, each class has to look after themselves. And the random unscripted events promise to liven up the experience by keeping it fresh and unpredictable. I will definately get this. I quit WoW years ago, and I missed Star Wars because Im deployed overseas, I think Ill skip it though. Guild Wars 2 will be on my list though.

The second I get back though Im buying:

Forza Motorsport 4
Saints Row 3
Mass Effect 3
Battlefield 3
Modern Warfare 3
Halo Anniversary Edition

I have a lot of catching up to do.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Wow (no pun intended). I never gave serious thought to bootcamp until you posted those vids.
Hmm...

I love my Mac and because I'm a gamer, especially when it lets me play PC-only games. Have your cake and eat it too. Any questions about bootcamp, feel free to ask! :)

I anticipate Guild Wars 2 greatly, mostly about the combat, no longer do you need to wait hours for a certain class to appear to group together, each class has to look after themselves. And the random unscripted events promise to liven up the experience by keeping it fresh and unpredictable. I will definately get this. I quit WoW years ago, and I missed Star Wars because Im deployed overseas, I think Ill skip it though. Guild Wars 2 will be on my list though.

The second I get back though Im buying:

Forza Motorsport 4
Saints Row 3
Mass Effect 3
Battlefield 3
Modern Warfare 3
Halo Anniversary Edition

I have a lot of catching up to do.

Thanks for your service! I've fixed the Mesmer Combat link in Post NO.2

CaitheSeries-600x353.jpg

Sylvari, the Elf-like Race

Last edited:

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
This is looking pretty good:
*Mesmer Combat- 3:45 Min.
*Necromancer Combat- 2:45 Min.
*Elementalist Combat- 1:38 Min.
*Warrior Combat- 1:49 Min.
*Engineer Combat- 3:39 Min.

Edit: Fixed Mesmer Combat link.

Thanks for posting those. Haven't really tracked it -- I played Guild Wars at launch and for a bit, but dropped off. Been meaning to check it out again with GW2 on the horizon. From what I remember, it was a decent game, I just picked up another game that took my time/attention.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This game is also going to be coming out for consoles. They have a small team working on a console version for some time now, it is unlikely that both versions will release at the same time but a console version will be coming.

http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/conference-call-highlights-gw2-console-version-confirmed/

Another reason not to install windows if you have a ps3 or xbox then.

Unless you prefer keyboard/mouse over xbox controllers... In the case of Xbox live, you'd be paying for the xbox subscription which for many is not an issue but could be for some. I have a xbox but have resisted subscribing to xbox live. All of my xbox gaming is either split screen coop or solo.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've got the first game but I don't really play MMOs.

Just read about this world v world mode it'll have, and yeah, all of a sudden I want this game!

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Unless you prefer keyboard/mouse over xbox controllers... In the case of Xbox live, you'd be paying for the xbox subscription which for many is not an issue but could be for some. I have a xbox but have resisted subscribing to xbox live. All of my xbox gaming is either split screen coop or solo.

That depends, if by consoles they mean PS3 as well as xbox then the online play is free and you can also use a keyboard and mouse if you want.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That depends, if by consoles they mean PS3 as well as xbox then the online play is free and you can also use a keyboard and mouse if you want.

I've always wondered how Xbox Live competes with PS's free service? I knew you could use a keyboard mouse, but if playing in front of a tv, depending on the setup is seems like it could be inconvenient plus aren't you limited on which keyboard and mouse you use? I think the mouse would be a bigger issue. Keyboard not so much...

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I've always wondered how Xbox Live competes with PS's free service? I knew you could use a keyboard mouse, but if playing in front of a tv, depending on the setup is seems like it could be inconvenient plus aren't you limited on which keyboard and mouse you use? I think the mouse would be a bigger issue. Keyboard not so much...

The comparison in service between PSN and Xbox Live depends greatly on who you ask, there are many biased opinions and the xbox vs ps3 fanboys all over the internet are just horrific.

I prefer Xbox live for gaming with friends but PSN for everything else such as blu rays, web browsing, netflix, watching tv shows and movies. PSN is free so for me it wins that battle.

Gaming on your couch with a mouse and keyboard will always be problematic but there are plenty people out there with PC's hooked up to the 50" TV screen so I don't see why it should be any different using a PS3 or Xbox. Many people have the console beside there PC or mac on the desk so adding a keyboard and mouse would be simple.

I play all my games on PC/Mac on my macbook pro on my couch, if i really NEED to use a mouse I just rest it on the flat arm rest and it works fine, otherwise I will use the touchpad as much as possible and bind actions to keys so that i dont have to click as much.

I am not sure what exact keyboards and mice can be used but any basic USB one should work, anything requiring extra drivers is a no go though.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Here's More:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/20/massivelys-guild-wars-2-closed-beta-impressions/

http://kotaku.com/5886430/ten-things...2-beta-weekend

Good read'n!

I don't regard the original Guild Wars as a true massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Connecting instanced adventuring areas together via persistent staging areas seems more like a standard online game with graphical meeting areas replacing text-based multiplayer lobbies. It's a great game, no doubt; it just didn't fit the formula.

Guild Wars 2 does. It's a large, persistent world with hundreds of characters running about all at once, killing things, fulfilling quest objects, and discovering what's happened to Tyria in the 250 years since the original game.

It's that open world structure from which great MMO stories are born. It's about being slaughtered by enemies only to have a stranger show up in the nick of time to save your bacon. It's about seeing a group of players fighting in the distance and wandering over to see what's going down. It's about doing something ridiculous, telling other people about it, and having them come join you.

Last edited:

TurboMoses

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2012
I have been stoked for this game ever since it was announced. I'm glad hype for it is finally catching up. I really think this will deliver (somewhat) on it's promises, and hopefully breathes some new life into the genre (as far as the megapopular MMOs go)

I loved Mesmers in GW1 and they still look very fun now. My main was a ranger/mesmer, he was quite fun (Expertise + Scale armor > Fast casting and cloth)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have been stoked for this game ever since it was announced. I'm glad hype for it is finally catching up. I really think this will deliver (somewhat) on it's promises, and hopefully breathes some new life into the genre (as far as the megapopular MMOs go)

I loved Mesmers in GW1 and they still look very fun now. My main was a ranger/mesmer, he was quite fun (Expertise + Scale armor > Fast casting and cloth)

From what I've read of the game, you could be right. I'm really excited about the reports of reduced grind. Of course I'd still have to see what the end game is about. Other than in Planetside which was continually PVP, the end game in every MMORPG I've played is the beginning of the end. :)

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
From what I've read of the game, you could be right. I'm really excited about the reports of reduced grind. Of course I'd still have to see what the end game is about. Other than in Planetside which was continually PVP, the end game in every MMORPG I've played is the beginning of the end. :)

All the MMO's other than WoW I actually liked never really had end game, it was all make your own fun, there wasn't instanced pvp or raids to go on.

The WvWvW stuff just looks like Dark Age of Camelot, and if it is as compelling as PvP in that game was I will be very happy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.