Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zkissy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I already purchased a FACTORY UNLOCKED IPhone 4 in Canada (MC604C) but when I update to IOS 5.0.1, it locked again.

As far as I know, when an Iphone is factory unlocked, it will be unlocked forever no matter how many times I update the version.

I called Apple. They admit that my IPhone was factory unlocked and assist me with some easy steps like putting in and out the sim card, turn off the phone, ect. But my IPhone still required a valid sim card from supported carrier to activate.

The point is, why do I need a valid sim card from Canadian carrier since my IPhone is factory unlocked and supposed to work with ANY SIM?

I asked Apple. They know the problem. They confirmed that this IPhone was factory unlocked and the only way for me is to CONTACT THE CARRIER WHICH PROVIDE THIS IPHONE. "If this was unlocked and now locked again, call the carrier to unlock it. Apple can't do it. You can't do it. Only the retail store or the carrier which provide Iphone 4 can so it". That's what he said.

But the point is I'm not in Canada now. My carrier was FIDO. And I have paid $50 to unlock it. Does it mean that I'll have to pay another $50 to get it unlocked again?

My old version before updating was 4.3.2, baseband 03.10.01.

Can anyone help me with this problem? :( Can someone in Canada call FIDO service to work this out for me? Please...

My serial is: 88118TSHDZZ

Thank you.

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
The iPhone 4 was released July 2010 in Canada.
How did you get out of the Fido three year contract and get it unlocked?
Who unlocked it?

If you paid $50 to get it unlocked then it wasn't factory unlocked.

Rogers will do this for $50 at the end of contract for iPhones, Fido (owned by Rogers) may offer this but I've yet to test it.

zkissy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I paid $50 to unlock it. FIDO has this service. Before buying an Iphone here, they will ask if you want to buy an unlocked Iphone or buy with contract. If you want to use free sim, pay $50. That's it :( I've used it smoothly in Vietnam with any sim cards but unfortunately, when I update it to IOS 5.0.1, it was locked again.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
But my IPhone still required a valid sim card from supported carrier to activate.

The point is, why do I need a valid sim card from Canadian carrier since my IPhone is factory unlocked and supposed to work with ANY SIM?

The iPhone is unique in that it requires you to "activate" the device with Apple before it will work.

Part of the activation process requires you to have a valid SIM for the device inserted into the phone - that means that if the phone is locked to a specific carrier, you must use their SIM. If it's unlocked, any SIM should do.

If you don't activate the device, it wont do anything more than show you a message about activation.

In this scenario, something has gone wrong and your device is no longer recorded as unlocked in Apple's systems.

I asked Apple. They know the problem. They confirmed that this IPhone was factory unlocked and the only way for me is to CONTACT THE CARRIER WHICH PROVIDE THIS IPHONE. "If this was unlocked and now locked again, call the carrier to unlock it. Apple can't do it. You can't do it. Only the retail store or the carrier which provide Iphone 4 can so it". That's what he said.

If you paid the carrier to unlock the phone, then they should be able to resend the request to have the device unlocked to Apple (again). They have charged you for a service that you haven't received.

zkissy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Rogers will do this for $50 at the end of contract for iPhones, Fido (owned by Rogers) may offer this but I've yet to test it.
By checking the serial and IMEI, I think they would know that my Iphone was unlocked by their carrier. That's why I need your help by contacting FIDO:

- 611 free of charge from a Fido phone.
-1 888 481-3436 (FIDO) from any phone in Canada or the U.S (Free of charge).

Too bad if I have to pay another $50 to unlock it. It's even worse if my Iphone is locked forever if they don't help.

zkissy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
How did you purchase a FACTORY UNLOCKED iPhone, but then have to pay Fido to unlock your phone?

This boggles the mind.
Sorry because I can't distinguish between a factory unlocked and a carrier unlocked. I guess they were one. It was just Fido asked me if I want an unlocked Iphone or use with contract, I said I want an unlocked version. They charged me $50.

That's it. And now my Iphone was locked again.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
How did you purchase a FACTORY UNLOCKED iPhone, but then have to pay Fido to unlock your phone?

This boggles the mind.

People often use the term "Factory Unlocked" to refer to ANY iPhone that has been officially unlocked by Apple - including at the request of a carrier, as opposed to an unofficial unlock using some form of exploit.

zkissy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I don't remember how much because it was years ago. Just remember $50 which switched my Iphone 4 from locked to unlocked. I bought it in Toronto, Ontario.

----------

One of my friend told a funny story about FIDO. He's from Poland and had a locked Iphone 4 (used with Gevey sim). When he travelled to Canada he made a call to FIDO and meet a "noob" representator. After fooling around with her, he paid $50 to unlock his Iphone that he even didn't know where it came from (Of course its model is still from Canada - MC603C).

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm assuming you bought the phone outright from Fido? You should have just bought it outright from the Apple Store instead, since those are actually factory unlocked. And it would have been $50 cheaper too.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Who unlocked your iPhone 4?
Was / is it jailbroken and the baseband modified?
Did you buy it with a three year contract?
How much did you pay to opt out early?
Was your account fully paid off before you had it unlocked?
Do you have a receipt(s)?
A Gevey SIM is not a factory unlock.

To have a device unlocked, a customer must:

Have an account in good standing
Have paid the un-subsidized / no term cost for the device at least 30 days prior OR have finished their Commitment Period (contract)
Unlock a device which is listed in their equipment history (no grey market devices)
Pay a $50 unlocking fee plus applicable taxes (note: prepaid customers must have a $50 plus the applicable taxes, balance on their account)

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
anyone know of a reasonable prepaid sim card for a canadian carrier that i can use in my 4s while in Canada?

zkissy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I bought this Iphone 4 from FIDO. I'm now using another black Iphone from Canada (MC603C) which my friend gave me on my birthday. Version: 4.3. Firmware: 04.10.01 and it works with ANY SIM CARD just like my Iphone above, too. I really want to update this black one to 5.0.1 but I'm afraid they will also lock it as they did with my white Iphone :mad:

----------

Who unlocked your iPhone 4? A FIDO staff. How could I remember her name?
Was / is it jailbroken and the baseband modified? No. It wasn't jailbroken. I updated it to 5.0.1 via Itunes so the baseband is 04.11.08 now.
Did you buy it with a three year contract? No.
How much did you pay to opt out early? $50 to unlock Iphone with $xxx that I can't remember.
Was your account fully paid off before you had it unlocked? Yes. That's why I could use it smoothly when I came back to my country.
Do you have a receipt(s)? I didn't keep it :(

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Not factory unlocked, carrier unlocked. You will need to contact the carrier.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I bought a factory unlocked iPhone 4 from the Apple store, and it hasn't locked to any carrier after any OS update, including 5.0.1 !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.