Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Everything sounds so good so far...why hasn't anyone from ATT switching to this since it is much more affordable and with the same coverage as well...

on that note, how's the service in New York, anyone using it at the moment?

Service will be as good as AT&T as this service uses their towers.

The only thing keeping me from switching is AT&T limits Straight Talk's internet speed to 7.2mbit - not a issue for my iPhone4 - but I'm waiting to see if this changes and they begin allowing people with faster phones on the service (As I'll be upgrading to the next iPhone this summer). But for $45/month I might just put up with it as I'm out of contract.

----------

got mine working pushin 3mbs dl speed. apn settings thy gave me worked then stopped... im seeing numerous apn settings... i try to mms but it fails...

st apn they provided
apn : straight talk
mms/: wap.tracfone
mmsc: http://mms.tracfone.com
mms proxy: 216.155.165.40
mms max msg: 1048576

please post what works for you...

also imessage is off and on throught text.

You should be using:

APN: att.mvno
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33

And leave everything else blank. To enable the APN screen for locked phones you need to jailbreak unfortunately. Unlockit.nz it will only work to enable internet and text - to enable MMS you either need to have a unlocked iPhone or jailbreak your locked phone.

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
Should be receiving the SIM next week, and will report back once I have everything set up and tested.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Should be receiving the SIM next week, and will report back once I have everything set up and tested.
got my AT&T microsim on saturday. was easy to activate and everything works great. awesome deal now at only $45/month!

only downside is MMS doesn't work unless you jailbreak the phone. Not a big deal to me I just email them anyways.

slykens

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2011
Sounds good, my sim should be here tuesday, does VV work? thanks

I don't believe it does but Youmail has been mentioned as a reasonable replacement for it.

I received a SIM and put it into an ATT iPhone for a user of mine - activation was straight forward (there's $4+ in taxes/charges here so it's really $49+/mo) - then had to use the unlockit.co.nz profile utility to get APN settings onto the phone since I'm not going to jailbreak it.

From everything I can tell coverage is equivalent to AT&T native coverage, speeds are same as my ATT provisioned phone, just no MMS or VVM - which are not deal breakers. In our case I'm going to use unified voice mail with the office since I have an RDNIS capable DID.

Eddy120876

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Bronx,NY
Hey guys

from what i been reading in HOFO. Same issues with MMS but theres some work arounds. I have to search then and post then for you folks in here. I will get mine next week and once I do that I will post my info(since somebody asked if any users in NYC have this plan). Also the speeds are not that bad,only bad part is the damn 2GB limit :( . I wish it was something along 4GB but oh well for 45+ tax is not that bad.

Eddy120876

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Bronx,NY
It looks like their customer service sucks, and you cant use a Blackberry. They also have a habit of losing phone numbers, if you want to keep your old number.
http://www.prepaidreviews.com/straighttalk.html

Customer services on all MVNO are usually bad. So call their number or use their facebook page. Blackberry are out why? simple if they did they would have to raise the prices of their unlimited plan because Blackberry runs their own servers. The number losing only happens when you break the agreement like tethering after receiving many warnings. Not defending ST practices but letting you know why those issues happen.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
Hey guys

from what i been reading in HOFO. Same issues with MMS but theres some work arounds. I have to search then and post then for you folks in here. I will get mine next week and once I do that I will post my info(since somebody asked if any users in NYC have this plan). Also the speeds are not that bad,only bad part is the damn 2GB limit :( . I wish it was something along 4GB but oh well for 45+ tax is not that bad.

isn't data unlimited too?

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
I thought the 4S was a "world phone". Can I unlock my iPhone through Verizon and use this sim card on my Verizon 4S?

That would not work -- CDMA iPhone carriers only unlock for International Use. They don't work on U.S. GSM Carriers.

Eddy120876

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Bronx,NY
isn't data unlimited too?

I was on their facebook page and all i got was the users saying it was 2GB. I guess it was because i log in late at night and none of the ST folks were gone. I will try to talk to one of then when i get the chance ,I hope that is today.

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
I was on their facebook page and all i got was the users saying it was 2GB. I guess it was because i log in late at night and none of the ST folks were gone. I will try to talk to one of then when i get the chance ,I hope that is today.

Let us know what they say as an "official" answer when you speak with them.

I have heard it's best to keep it under 2GB, or risk getting cut off until you call up.

In Like Flynn

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
(As I'll be upgrading to the next iPhone this summer).

U got inside info?.. cause the rest of us got stuck waiting til October last year and I don't see the next iphone coming out in "less than a year" later, and if they go another 16 months (like last time), ur looking Feb or march of 2013;)

gapperonduty

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Here is what I gather from the FAQ:

Will I be able to use my existing carrier's equipment when I move to Straight Talk?
No. In order to transfer your number to Straight Talk you must have a Straight Talk phone. To buy a Straight Talk phone please click here.

and...

Can I send international text messages from my Straight Talk phone?
At this time, the Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Precedent? (M828C) and LG Optimus Q? (L55C) includes unlimited international text messaging to the available destinations at no additional charge with an Unlimited Plans.

are these true or they are just general guidelines?

PS: I already send them an email but I thought there are some StraightTalking mAcRumorers that could offer an advice or two!

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
Here is what I gather from the FAQ:

Will I be able to use my existing carrier's equipment when I move to Straight Talk?
No. In order to transfer your number to Straight Talk you must have a Straight Talk phone. To buy a Straight Talk phone please click here.

Have you seen their new service, Straight Talk SIM? It's BYOD (Bring your own device), so all you need is a GSM phone and you're good to go:

http://www.straighttalksim.com

Eddy120876

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Bronx,NY
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.