Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Seriously disappointed Apple is appearing at a Goldman Sachs conference. Goldman Sachs was one of the financial firms responsible for the 2008 economic collapse, and has not been held responsible by the SEC.

You should be disappointed in Apple for being an American, publicly traded company, because the late 2000s financial collapse goes way beyond Goldman Sachs...

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Apple Should Shun Goldman Sachs

Having the Apple name mentioned in the same sentence as GS tarnishes the Apple name.

Hope Tim took a long shower after being at GS...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I heard a guy who seems comfortable in his role as CEO. Made a joke or two and had good inflection in his voice. Apple is in very capable hands.

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Tim may be a great CEO but he's a boring speaker. Apple needs someone else to do product events.

The investors don't seem to mind his speaking skills. The stock went up about 5 points since he started talking.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
The investors don't seem to mind his speaking skills. The stock went up about 5 points since he started talking.

And is continuing to rise in after-hours trading, up over $2 so far.

Cook's statement regarding Chinese workers was well played. The market liked it. Apple is moving to do something (slower than many may like) and I bet groans were heard in the corner offices of companies who manufacture in China.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Waiting for the "Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs" comments...;)

Yeah, he is better than SJ who never cared at all about the ones who actually build their products.
Instead he liked talking to students about living their upperclass career-dreams.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
The biggest point he made it seems was the discussion of who wasn't buying and how much market there is still.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
i only read it but thought it read nicely.
well thought out, mostly, and great info here.

I liked the "other platform" or whatever when referring to Android.

adamtj11

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Belfast
It's good to see Apple still care for the Mac. It would be a sad sad day the day they didn't , although the iPad is enough for a lot of people, theres still 60 million of us who use Macs. Well played Tim.

myhaksown

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Price is rarely the most important thing. A cheap product might sell some units. Somebody gets it home and they feel great when they pay the money, but then they get it home and use it and the joy is gone. The joy is gone every day that they use it until they aren't using it anymore. You don't keep remembering "I got a good deal!" because you hate it!

So true I had an Archos G9 101 Android Tablet which I saved $40 on from newegg. I returned it twice before I gave up and said I'll wait for the iPad 3. As far as I'm concerned I know Apple will get it right for me every time and if they dont theres an Apple Store nearby so I dont have to wait a week for a replacement.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I like that he said that Apple wasn't afraid to cannibalize their other products. It's always been my contention that if a company won't release a product that kills their cash cow, then their competitor will. Better to kill it yourself and control the future.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Can you read ? I said "product events" not investor relations.

Which this isn't... If you're determined to go with that line of thinking how about waiting for an actual product event and seeing how he does rather than a technology / business conference? Just a thought :rolleyes:

A thought on the China / Supply Chain thing that's been bugging me for a while but Tim's announcement today drove home. Once Apple have their house in order (and be in no doubt they will, that's very clearly their objective right now and they're way too big a contract for suppliers to walk away from) and all this information is independently audited and published on a regular basis... what's to stop them just going "Right, we've done our part... how about you Samsung / Microsoft / Every Single Major Electronics Manufacturer?". That would surely be one hell of a marketing message if they decided to use it.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Tim Cook speaks slowly because he is choosing his words carefully and thinking about what is coming out of his mouth.

It is refreshing. It's far more common for people to speak quickly, use a lot of words, but not really say anything at all.

I don't see it as a sign of lack of charisma. By the end of the talk his passion for Apple shone through.

wyneken

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
The great State of Maine
I heard a guy who seems comfortable in his role as CEO. Made a joke or two and had good inflection in his voice. Apple is in very capable hands.

That's what I think, too.

Remember this is a guy who said "I don't give a rat's ass" about fame, and "I never want to see my name in the paper." He would have been happy as Steve's lieutenant for the rest of his career, I think. But it didn't work out that way, Steve chose him — years ago, apparently — as his successor, so Tim has stepped up to the plate, big-time.

He can't turn himself magically into a charismatic personality. Who would want him to pretend to be something he's not? I'm much happier seeing him comfortable being who he is. He's not Steve, but he's also not a typical, slick and fast-talking CEO by any stretch. He actually seems like a real person.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
iPods, iPhones and iPads... iThis and iThat.

Somebody please throw us MBP users a few crumbs please.... Remember us? We started it all. :(

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Which this isn't... If you're determined to go with that line of thinking how about waiting for an actual product event and seeing how he does rather than a technology / business conference? Just a thought :rolleyes:

A thought on the China / Supply Chain thing that's been bugging me for a while but Tim's announcement today drove home. Once Apple have their house in order (and be in no doubt they will, that's very clearly their objective right now and they're way too big a contract for suppliers to walk away from) and all this information is independently audited and published on a regular basis... what's to stop them just going "Right, we've done our part... how about you Samsung / Microsoft / Every Single Major Electronics Manufacturer?". That would surely be one hell of a marketing message if they decided to use it.

I've seen him at a product event. And my view stands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.