Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stfwayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
All my iMessages are stuck on SENDING

Sometimes the person gets the message but on my phone it doesnt show it sent either it shows the red exclamation mark or shows the following on the top of the screen...(see attached pic)

Can anyone offer me some help my phone has become useless?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 987

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012

Sometimes the person gets the message but on my phone it doesnt show it sent either it shows the red exclamation mark or shows the following on the top of the screen...(see attached pic)

If iMessage isn't working, why don't you turn it off and send it as a normal sms and see if it goes through?

Sure it will cost money, but would you rather have a "useless" phone or one that is functioning?

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
If iMessage isn't working, why don't you turn it off and send it as a normal sms and see if it goes through?

Sure it will cost money, but would you rather have a "useless" phone or one that is functioning?

If iMessage isn't working, then the phone isn't functioning as intended. I agree that turning it off and seeing if it will send as a text is a good idea to help troubleshoot. But saying to turn it off and pay for messages is terrible advice. The phone should work.

Have you tried on just the network instead of on Wifi? I'd try that, and if it works, go reset your router. If it doesn't work on just VZW coverage, reset network settings on the phone. If neither of those work, I'd get VZW and then Apple involved.

stfwayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
How do you reset network settings on my phone?

This happens at the house and out of the house everywhere

Texts are sending normally but I like to use iMessage

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
General scroll to the bottom you'll see reset press it then hit reset network setting

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Thats weird. That only happens to me when I am not on wifi and in a area that I am getting a bad cell signal in.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
How do you reset network settings on my phone?

This happens at the house and out of the house everywhere

Texts are sending normally but I like to use iMessage

Also, after the reset, your wifi passwords will not be stored anymore. You'll be prompted for the password when you try to reconnect to your home wifi--or any other wifi you have set to connect.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

JMies419 said:
Thats weird. That only happens to me when I am not on wifi and in a area that I am getting a bad cell signal in.

This is because by default iMessage regardless of a wifi connection being in range will send over cellular data!

To force it to go over wifi put your iPhone in airplane mode and switch wifi back on!

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
This may seem like an obvious suggestion, but have you tried restarting your iPhone? That tends to fix the majority of weird little issues from my experience.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is because by default iMessage regardless of a wifi connection being in range will send over cellular data!

To force it to go over wifi put your iPhone in airplane mode and switch wifi back on!

Common misconception disproved time and time again.

stfwayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
my imessages still get stuck at sending and take FOREVER to get unstuck from sending

i really dont know what to do anymore

my warranty is up but i think this is more of a software not hardware issue if it is sending texts correctly

Mikesus

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011

Are you trying to use wifi that requires a sign in? (click here to accept terms?). Isee this happen at work where we have a guest network that requires an additional sign on.

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
Did anyone find a solution to this problem? My iPhone has been stuck "sending" a text for the past 24 hours, even though the person responded to it.

Indecisi0n

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
Sometime you will get this if the person you are trying to send a text to use to have imessage but no longer does. For Example, they changed from an iphone to a different type of phone.

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
Really for 24 hours lol! I would've powered down and back up after 10 minutes...

Tried it and it didn't work..

Sometime you will get this if the person you are trying to send a text to use to have imessage but no longer does. For Example, they changed from an iphone to a different type of phone.

The person I sent the iMessage to still has an iPhone.

I also tried resetting the network settings as suggested earlier but to no avail. Are there any other solutions that I should try, short of restoring iOS?

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
iMessage is a nice idea but is sadly too unreliable for the moment. The fact that it waits 5 minutes before sending an SMS if it can't send the iMessage is a dealbreaker for me. I value speedy communication over the price of sending a text.

Until these issues are addressed, iMessage remains off on my iDevices. I'm hoping iOS 5.1 or 6.0 brings some advances.

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
Well, two weeks later, the iMessage that was stuck "sending" just resolved itself...even after updating to iOS 5.1 it was still stuck. I'm not really sure what happened..

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
iMessage is a nice idea but is sadly too unreliable for the moment. The fact that it waits 5 minutes before sending an SMS if it can't send the iMessage is a dealbreaker for me. I value speedy communication over the price of sending a text.

Until these issues are addressed, iMessage remains off on my iDevices. I'm hoping iOS 5.1 or 6.0 brings some advances.

I defiintely agree about it being unreliable.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY

That does not seem right. It won't even begin to send it as an iMessage (blue color) if the other person does not have at least 5.0 on their iPhone, at least from my experiences. Anything else (4.x or less or another phone) and it's green. I've seen iMessages start as blue when I type them but turn to green before I send (the person had turned off iMessage)

I too have had iPhone iMessage's get stuck but have suspected at times that it can get stuck if the RECEIVER of the message has bad reception at the time. (my rather large place of employment has MANY dead spots for cell coverage) Anyone know the technicalities for certain to be able to say if the iMessages can get stuck in that regard?

Mike

oholabode

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
This has happened to me as well; doing it at the moment with a friend of mine that DOES have an iPhone 5.+ iOS, and I've been troubleshooting myself for a while about it. Searched google to see other links about what others had to say about it though to no avail. This link/thread popped up when I wanted to search up on it though nothing really was a true fix. I had another problem like this with someone else though what I basically did to remove the issue is just delete the convo. Sucks but it's the near only solution.

Me43543

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2013
this just happened to me and after reading oholabode's suggestion I decided to try just deleting the message where it started, problem solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.