Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
justice must be broke

I think they are broke - yea, Proview is - that is why they went to court. And when it comes to common sense, justice is broke as well - they are out of it.

Or did you mean that the justice was "just?" That court just wants to protect Chinese interests, probably the local ones whereever Proview is housed. I explained it before: If you have a substity and you don't give that substity the right to handle you property such as trademarks, it is impossible to know that or the opposite as a third party. All for what Apple knew, Proview Taiwan was owned by Proview China and therefore negotiated with their approval.

Edit: It is even more twisted: China regards Taiwan as being part of China - so in that case, Proview Taiwan is also Proview China (No. 2). But of course, China brings up this argument only when it is convenient for them - not when it would be a disadvantage - like if Proview Taiwan has the rights on the name in Taiwan and Taiwan is a part of China, it has the rights in all China and could therefore sell these rights. Damn! Scratch that! In this case, Taiwan is NOT China, they are evil capitalists preying on the Peoples Republic's poor company for their own gains!

It's like during cold war: Russia lost a sports game against USA. Headline in Russia reads: "USSR glorious second, USA second to last!"

Last edited:

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
The Chinese government appears to be using some pretty shady methods to extort money from western companies who have become dependent on Chinese companies for their manufacturing.

First the Chinese invited companies to come invest in China because of the low taxes and lack of regulations. Then after companies come and start manufacturing there the Chinese government back charges them for the pollution they've created.

Now the Chinese government is playing with Apple's most important new product, in what can only be a form of extortion. Apple will probably have to make some substantial donations to make the problem go away.

There are still a lot of obstacles preventing Apple from manufacturing all of their products in the US but the price of doing business in China is increasing as the Chinese wish to see a greater return on the effort they've made to encourage investment and manufacturing in their country.

jerdo

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ridiculous that China is enforcing copyright as the country is the largest infringers in the world.

lucasmonger

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Illinois
Ingenious!!!

1. Apple pulls iPads from all stores and Amazon.cn to comply with the ruling
2. The Chinese riot
3. Government caves because they don't want another Tiananmen Square
4. Proview is forever smeared as evil

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
WTF? Commie Amazon sell the iPads but the US Amazon don't? :mad:
You comment IS racist. Shame on you.

And I think Apple is preping for the next iPad and also giving out a shot to the Chinese government while doing so.

Reaperducer

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2006
Just a thought...

Apple-v-China.jpg

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Communism isn't a race, it's a political party.

Communism is a political party.

Commie is slang for someone or something who belongs or follows the communist party. Call an Chinese government official a commie and you'll be thrown in jail faster then you can say "me is so sorry".

See the difference?

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Apparently this was the reason the stock, rising through $526, crashed back to $506 today. That's serious, Apple needs to resolve this ASAP.

----------

I imagine this was voluntary from Amazon China in order to avoid any lashing from Proview. This will be temporary once the Chinese authorities iron it all out.

Amazon says they pulled it at Apple's request. And I wouldn't count on Chinese authorities "ironing anything out" in Apple's favor.

----------

If the Chinese authorities don't sort this out in Apple's favour then the iPad buying part of the Chinese public will force the decision back in Apple's favour. I imagine that Apple are gonna play hard on this one because they represent a lot of cash for China that the government won't want to loose. They are calling the Chinese, bluff.

I'm not so sure. I think Apple needs China more than China needs Apple. First of all it would take years to move their manufacturing out of China, if that's even possible at all, and would cost a ton of money, not just upfront but raise prices for each device made (which I would be happy to pay, but a lot of people won't). Secondly, China is Apple's biggest emerging market, without that they are giving up on a lot of future profits, and the stock will pay dearly for it.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Well, another Balls Move by Tim. I'm liking Tim more each day.

Get Proview off our ass or deal with a pissed off population. Hard Ball baby.

Lovin it!!!!!!! :)

----------

When I search for "iPad" on Amazon, I get this as the first result:

Compare iPad 2 vs. Kindle Fire

Just noticed that. Total BS. Type iPad 2 and it bypasses :apple:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Communism is a political party.

Commie is slang for someone or something who belongs or follows the communist party. Call an Chinese government official a commie and you'll be thrown in jail faster then you can say "me is so sorry".

See the difference?
Still not racist. Nor is it a murder charge. Or a wheelbarrow tire. Words mean things, quit trying to change them.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Some how I am willing to bet it does deal with the law suit and Apple is hoping to win favor to make it harder for the export ban.

Banyan Bruce

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Devon, UK
What would be the cost of just changing the name ?

Surely international markets often call for different names for the same product in different countries. Didn't Coca Cola have an issue with one of its new products over it's Chinese or Japanese name not so long ago. If you ask for Durex in Oz or the UK you'll get two very different products, both will get you out of stick situation but in very different ways. The name fits the market.

This is a marketing issue, just as much as it's a legal one.
China is potentially such a huge market it might just warrant it's own name.

The CPad for China or the Padi for the Irish market, or the Paduk for the British horsy set. :)

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The CPad for China or the Padi for the Irish market, or the Paduk for the British horsy set. :)

Not a bad idea, call it the cPad, who cares? but even if they made that change, Apple still needs to resolve Proview asking for $1.6B, that's not small change, not even for Apple. And changing the name might be seen as an admission of guilt and an affirmation of Proview's claims, so I doubt they'd do it pre-emptively.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Apparently this was the reason the stock, rising through $526, crashed back to $506 today. That's serious, Apple needs to resolve this ASAP.

Closed at $498, currently down $3 more in after-hours trading.

If this continues, it will be $377 by close Friday, and $77 next Friday. :eek:

Attachments

• aapl.jpg
    aapl.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Still not racist. Nor is it a murder charge. Or a wheelbarrow tire. Words mean things, quit trying to change them.

I'm not. You can not accept the facts. Many people would consider it a very bad thing to say. You've never lived under a communist regime I see. One member of my family has. Russian communism back in the 1950's. If you said something like that around there, off to Siberia you went.

Yes words mean things. But that word is considered very offensive by some people. Not by me or the people where I live. But in other parts of the world it IS a very offensive term.

If you can not understand this then I'm done. Cause no point arguing with someone who refuses to listen.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Apple:

"This is your world with the iPad."

/removes from Amazon

"Now, this is your world without the iPad."

/points to Proview

"Those are the people responsible.

Any questions?"

When I search for "iPad" on Amazon, I get this as the first result:

Compare iPad 2 vs. Kindle Fire
YAWN. Old news is old.

It also used to display the first-gen iPads more prominently than the iPad2's. It's Amazon's store, they're a private business, they can merchandise the products however they want. They could choose to not carry the iPad at all, ya know, and then those results would be 100% accurate.

Just like Google can not list a website in search results if they choose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.