Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Not sure, but from the way it loads it seems to be many pictures 'stitched' together.

Very good image though!

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Stitching lots of photos ... there are software packages that do this now, and make it easier (note: not easy - it still takes a lot of work - just easier). Also, I'm guessing here, a very wide angle lense.

Check out this link for more

I believe the QTRV is also a clue as to the specific method used.

I believe Uri has a special tripod head that moves the camera and coordinates each exposure and orientation.

Hope this helps.

ps Are you in Regina or Ottawa? Can I ask?

UPDATE: Several posts since I started typing popped up.... Quick Time I think is the answer to why it looks like a video. And some serious images processing software... that ironically you can probably now get on the Mac App Store for less than $50, but once cost a quarter million dollars.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I just looked her up and it looks like she is using a Nikon d5000 with a fisheye lens and a panoramic mount, but how does she stitch everything together so perfectly almost as if it a video.

Photoshop can do this, automatically and per hand. But there is also panorama software, like this, that can do that, but I guess, she used a more advanced method like Photoshop or whatever is out there.

I did some panoramas as well, not 360°, but 180° and PS can stitch them together quite well and almost seamlessly.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Photoshop can do this, automatically and per hand. But there is also panorama software, like this, that can do that, but I guess, she used a more advanced method like Photoshop or whatever is out there.

I did some panoramas as well, not 360°, but 180° and PS can stitch them together quite well and almost seamlessly.

That's cool. Thanks

Since it is a 360° panorama, they could have use something like a panorama camera.

Thanks

Not sure, but from the way it loads it seems to be many pictures 'stitched' together.

Very good image though!

It is.

Stitching lots of photos ... there are software packages that do this now, and make it easier (note: not easy - it still takes a lot of work - just easier). Also, I'm guessing here, a very wide angle lense.

Check out this link for more

I believe the QTRV is also a clue as to the specific method used.

I believe Uri has a special tripod head that moves the camera and coordinates each exposure and orientation.

Hope this helps.

ps Are you in Regina or Ottawa? Can I ask?

UPDATE: Several posts since I started typing popped up.... Quick Time I think is the answer to why it looks like a video. And some serious images processing software... that ironically you can probably now get on the Mac App Store for less than $50, but once cost a quarter million dollars.

For the best stitching, you need to rotate your cameralens on its nodal point.

Regina.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Regina.

I should have noted in my post that the link goes to another photographer,Uri Cogan, who is doing similar work - and has been for many years.... thought you might like to see those images too... he does beautiful work. He also prints some of them into large prints. They look more like doughnuts when translated to the printed page, but gorgeous nonetheless.

ps... just curious... since I follow some of your other threads here. Thanks....

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
I should have noted in my post that the link goes to another photographer,Uri Cogan, who is doing similar work - and has been for many years.... thought you might like to see those images too... he does beautiful work. He also prints some of them into large prints. They look more like doughnuts when translated to the printed page, but gorgeous nonetheless.

ps... just curious... since I follow some of your other threads here. Thanks....

Who doesn't follow my threads ;).
Where you from?

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
The lens she is using is the Samyang 8mm f/3.5 fisheye lens.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
She's got a lot of detail meaning it probably took quite a few frames. I'm seeing multiple exposures as well. Expect it to take a little post work to get the colors and tones just right. A few panoramic tripod setups are made to facilitate this kind of work, but if you're using a heavier camera (I've got an older 1ds so it's 4-5 pounds with a lens) most of them will have flex or creep issues. If you're using a lighter camera, I'd still get one of the heavier ones to benefit your sanity. I've tried out a couple, and both had issues with heavier cameras in spite of being extremely expensive.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I just checked this out on my iPad to varify my perception of this. Its a great image, but it's some sort of video file that requires Flash to view it. That probably runs in the background on my laptop, as there isn't anything in the browser address bar that indicates that. Not that the image isn't great, but it just dosen't seem to be what we consider a photo.

Dale

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
it's a flash "movie" of some sort... it requires flash to view.

edit: I noticed Dale already mentioned that... i use ClickToFlash plug-in for Safari (there's also something similar for Firefox) and it won't run anything flash unless you click on it... i saw a big placeholder that said "Flash" until i clicked, then it ran. When I right clicked, it showed something called Pano2VR Player and Flash Player 10.3.183.... and the panorama player is a QTVR converter from gardengnomesoftware.com.

I like that you can zoom into the shot, and also look straight down or up at the rotational axis point... it is pretty darn cool, not sure what the uses would be for, but maybe work for walking tours like with real estate, etc...

Last edited:

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
West Coast, BC.... an island in the Georgia Strait....

Are you thinking of getting into Pano shooting, reviewing it, or just admiring a truly beautiful shot?

All three would be nice, but pano shooting would definitely be something I am interested in.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
For the best stitching, you need to rotate your cameralens on its nodal point.

Quite a bit depends on the image's details, but I've found AutoPanoPro does a good enough job on almost everything I shoot that I can actually get good results even hand-held (not that I usually shoot my panos that way, but I'm getting more comfortable with shots where I can't set up the tripod, let alone worry about the nodal point.

Paul

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
That is rather spectacular.

I'm drifting down memory lane... :p

20337226-260x260-0-0_Apple+VR+Authoring+Studio+QuickTime+1+0+Full+Versi.jpg

QTVRAS_Splash.gif

QTVRAS_Panorama_Stitcher.gif

Hyperlinks between QTVR files:

sceneMaker.jpg

Last edited:

ytk

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
Wow, that's a great panorama.

Panoramic photography isn't that hard to get into, actually. You can start out with something as simple as a $99 Panosaurus panoramic head. I've been using one for years with my DSLR and it works quite well. Hugin is free and it gets great results, albeit with sort of a steep learning curve. I've never used PTGui, but I've heard great things about it as well, and it might be easier to use than Hugin.

It takes a bit of experimentation and a lot of patience, but with a bit of practice (and an eye for photography, of course), you can create really fantastic looking panoramas with not much equipment.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Nice pic ...

... and glad to finally see what that view was supposed to look at.

I visited this very location back in the summer of 2003 ... the year of the forest fires in the Candian Rockies. Could hardly see the lake, let alone the mountain range.

Hm. Will have to put that region back on the "To Do" list.

-hh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.