Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Hey gang -

Just wanted to make sure it is safe to upgrade to 10.7.3 before I bite the bullet.

There is always a possibility Apple may have added another "check" in Lion so these unsupported macs won't boot after installing a new update, and my computer is far too valuable for me right now (Schoolwork) to find out the hard way.

My early '06 iMac is running 10.7.2 even though it is technically unsupported. It is upgraded to a Core 2 Duo (Originally a 2.0 Core Duo) and I removed the platformsupport.plist file so Lion would install.

If someone has upgraded to 10.7.3 and removed the platformsupport.plist file with no ill effects, I'd like to hear about it!

Thanks!

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Hey gang -

Just wanted to make sure it is safe to upgrade to 10.7.3 before I bite the bullet.

There is always a possibility Apple may have added another "check" in Lion so these unsupported macs won't boot after installing a new update, and my computer is far too valuable for me right now (Schoolwork) to find out the hard way.

My early '06 iMac is running 10.7.2 even though it is technically unsupported. It is upgraded to a Core 2 Duo (Originally a 2.0 Core Duo) and I removed the platformsupport.plist file so Lion would install.

If someone has upgraded to 10.7.3 and removed the platformsupport.plist file with no ill effects, I'd like to hear about it!

Thanks!

If you don't want no wifi after sleeping your mac then don't upgrade. Had to downgrade due to this problem. I will not be updating again9 until there is a fix), to much hassle.

Hope this helps, Peace

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
I don't use Wi-Fi, but that'd bother me nonetheless. It doesn't really sound like 10.7.3 has any benefits for me at this point, as 10.7.2 isn't giving me any problems. However, if I know I can upgrade without my install being affected by the fact this is an unsupported mac, I will do it. Just don't want to be the guinea pig!

dgr401

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
I upgraded my late 2006 iMac 6,1 with 10.7.3 and all is fine. :D I do have 4gb installed although it only recognizes 3gb. My newer 2010 iMac did not like 10.7.3 and now suffers from the wifi awake from sleep issue. :confused:

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
If you're already on Lion, it won't hurt. If you're on Snow Leopard, sit still. I've had way too many problems with Lion on my C2D. Random freezes, crashes, kernel panics. None of which occurred on Snow Leopard. Checked hardware, too. Nothing wrong there.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
I've got 10.7.2 right now, it runs like an absolute dreamboat. The computer is one of my favorite Macs now ever since I did the C2D upgrade. I'm really glad I don't do work that requires a lot of power, because this is the sweet spot for me.

I feel like I'm probably overreacting and the 10.7.3 install will be fine.

lan&wan

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2012
after a few hours I managed to boot it by just smc imac

however fan speed is always full....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.