Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I've got a external hard drive in my car which I have a bunch of music files that my cars audio system plays.

When browsing the file structure I have a folder that shows up while it's plugged in to the car but its not showing up when I plug it into the MBP.

I've done some file searches and it comes back with no results or the file can't be found. I know its some kind of folder that Windows makes but I want to get rid of it so it doesn't show up in the folder list in the car.

These are the hidden files that show up when I do a search on the hard drive for hidden files:

.Trashes
.DS_Store
.DS_Store
.DS_Store
.iTunes Preferences.plist
.Spotlight-V100

I guess I can get rid of these files/folders because the car doesn't need them or does my MBP/iTunes need them, what do ya think?

Ideas?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've got a external hard drive in my car which I have a bunch of music files that my cars audio system plays.

When browsing the file structure I have a folder that shows up while it's plugged in to the car but its not showing up when I plug it into the MBP.

I've done some file searches and it comes back with no results or the file can't be found. I know its some kind of folder that Windows makes but I want to get rid of it so it doesn't show up in the folder list in the car.

These are the hidden files that show up when I do a search on the hard drive for hidden files:

.Trashes
.DS_Store
.DS_Store
.DS_Store
.iTunes Preferences.plist
.Spotlight-V100

I guess I can get rid of these files/folders because the car doesn't need them or does my MBP/iTunes need them, what do ya think?
Everything but the .plist can be deleted. The .plist may be important, as it contains iTunes preferences.

.Trashes
Under Mac OS X, when a file is deleted in Finder, it is moved to a .Trashes folder, and when viewing the device's available space the space occupied by the deleted files is shown as occupied.
.DS_Store
.DS_Store (Desktop Services Store)[1] is a hidden file created by Apple Inc.'s Mac OS X operating system to store custom attributes of a folder such as the position of icons or the choice of a background image.
Spotlight-V100 and Trashes Folders On USB Flash Drives

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks for that information but....do you have any information on the $RECYCLE.BIN folder that shows up only while the external hard drive is plugged in to the car?

That's the one I really want to get rid of, the Apple files are hidden so I don't see them in the cars file/folder structure.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for that information but....do you have any information on the $RECYCLE.BIN folder that shows up only while the external hard drive is plugged in to the car?
I didn't see it on your list (only in the thread title), but grapes911 is right. It's a Windows file and has nothing to to with Mac OS X.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Yeah, I know it's a Windows folder...I sometimes (rarely) plug it in to Bootcamp or it may be just plugged in while I restart the computer to boot to bootcamp and I don't use it on the Windows side.

How can I find and delete that folder? It is just not showing up on the Mac side.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yeah, I know it's a Windows folder...I sometimes (rarely) plug it in to Bootcamp or it may be just plugged in while I restart the computer to boot to bootcamp and I don't use it on the Windows side.

How can I find and delete that folder? It is just not showing up on the Mac side.

To show hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder​
To hide hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder​

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
That did it. It showed all of the files including the Windows folders/files.

Wonder how come when I did a search from the search button and have it show all hidden files/folders the $RECYCLE.BIN folder didn't show up but the Apple files/folders did?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That did it. It showed all of the files including the Windows folders/files.

Wonder how come when I did a search from the search button and have it show all hidden files/folders the $RECYCLE.BIN folder didn't show up but the Apple files/folders did?
Probably because Spotlight hadn't indexed the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.