Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

intel_ivy_bridge_chip_promo-150x130.jpg

Digitimes reports that Intel has apparently begun informing partners that mass availability of its forthcoming Ivy Bridge processors will be delayed until "after June". Intel is said to be sticking to its initial schedule calling for an April introduction of Ivy Bridge, but only very limited supplies of the chips will be available at that time.
Intel recently notified its partners about plans to postpone mass shipments of its upcoming Ivy Bridge processors. Despite that the company will still announce the new products and ship a small volume of the processors in early April, mass shipments are not expected to occur until after June, according to sources from notebook players.
The report suggests that the delay may simply be due to Intel holding off in order to draw down both its own oversupply of current Sandy Bridge processors and its partners' PC stocks that have been selling more slowly than anticipated as consumers continue to hold off on new computer purchases.

Many Apple fans are eagerly awaiting the arrival of Ivy Bridge, as it has been pegged as the processor family to be used in the next updates of most of Apple's Macs.

Apple is rumored to be planning for Ivy Bridge to usher in a revamped MacBook Pro that will take a number of design cues from the MacBook Air and perhaps even see a merger of the two lines. While observers have been hoping that such an update could come as soon as April with the Ivy Bridge timeline, it is now unclear whether the chips will be available in sufficient supplies for Apple to update the MacBook Pro within that timeframe.

Article Link: Intel Delaying Mass Availability of Ivy Bridge Processors Until 'After June'?

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
It's possible that Intel and Apple have worked out an exclusivity agreement for the first batch of chips...

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Great... my 2011 MacBook air can be "new" for some more months...

The bad: The Mac will keep on having no USB 3 ports.:(

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
Many Apple fans are eagerly awaiting the arrival of Ivy Bridge, as it has been pegged as the processor family to be used in the next updates of most of Apple's Macs.

Apple is rumored to be planning for Ivy Bridge to usher in a revamped MacBook Pro that will take a number of design cues from the MacBook Air and perhaps even see a merger of the two lines. While observers have been hoping that such an update could come as soon as April with the Ivy Bridge timeline, it is now unclear whether the chips will be available in sufficient supplies for Apple to update the MacBook Pro within that timeframe.

Article Link: Intel Delaying Mass Availability of Ivy Bridge Processors Until 'After June'?

Forget the MacBook Pro! What about my 1st iMac?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
POOORRRRR QUEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm fine with that actually. I just got two new Macs last year lol

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
And this is why a strong AMD CPU actually matters :(, i'm guessing we will begin to see longer times between ticks/tocks until AMD has a chance to catch up or someone else emerges.

macintoshi

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Switzerland
macbook pro

apple my dear apple, give up intel apple! buy amd fully, make it ur own, better calculateing precision, and better for servers usage, and save us from the nervs of intel, amen

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
So they are delaying because the people willing to buy are waiting for the new CPU's and not buying the old ones.

Sounds like a solid plan.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
It's possible that Intel and Apple have worked out an exclusivity agreement for the first batch of chips...

that would piss off other guys even more. End of the day Apple is not threat of leaving intel and going AMD. The other guys that is a real and viable threat as they already produce AMD power things. It would mean they would up their order of AMD CPUs and start cutting back on Intel. Apple does not really have any tools it can use against Intel. On top of that Apple has earned a reputation not to be trusted at all so Apple really does not have any tools to force such an agreement.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks Intel for the buzz kill news.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Why release Ivy Bridge when your old line of Sandy Bridge CPUs trample all over your competitor's (AMD's) product?

eskrima

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012
wanting my first MBP

So this is my first post simply because I was really hoping that the MBP would be undated soon. I'm going to hold out at least 4-6 months after their release to get one (so any issues can be resolved) which means no sooner than x-mas time, or even next year.

Really need one for music but just gotta wait.

I guess there just hoping that their old inventory will move if they push back new updates

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.