Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Damn! I was hoping they would fix Lion first :) Still on Snow Leopard.

Now will have to wait for a Stable Mountain lion before upgrading, going to be a while. And if Mountain Lion incorporates more crap from iOS into OS X, I will happily stay on Snow Leopard. At the same time I expect Apple to largely abandon the desktop market, matter of time before pro apps and Mac Pros are gonners. Wonder if they will keep the iMac around or morph that with the Apple TV concept...

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I really like the integration improvements I am reading about. I'm also surprised there wasn't a slew of "APPLE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT PRO USERS" drivel that usually accompanies such posts.

(Seriously, if using an OS that is making someones life and computing experience easier and more integrated is "less pro like" then I must not be a pro at anything!)

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
http://daringfireball.net/2012/02/mountain_lion

according to Gruber:

"And then the reveal: Mac OS X — sorry, OS X — is going on an iOS-esque one-major-update-per-year development schedule. This year’s update is scheduled for release in the summer, and is ready now for a developer preview release. Its name is Mountain Lion."

interesting....

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
inspired by the iPad.... This message is for all of us Mac Power Users out there... Say good bye to Mac OS X. Say Hello to iOS Desktop. If they move their chips right maybe this is going to be good... but if they restrict or control the OS as the iDevices we're screwed. :(

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
my next laptop will be mac... im getting sick of windows :S

after all i have an iPhone 4S and am getting the new iPad 2S/3. So why not buy a mac next time i need a new laptop? :)

i hope the mac pro will be worth it...

But you will miss out on Windows 8? Oh wait no you won't. :roll eyes:

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I bet you'll need to soon enough. I agree with your assessment though.

I was going to update the labs and my personal computer this summer to Lion, but now I can update my own computer to ML in the summer but it falls way to late for me to update the lab computers so thats another year they will have to be stuck with Snow Leopard and move to ML summer 2013, if they release another OS in 2013 I will be raging!

Zulithe

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Can they please change Game Center to be less ugly... I mean seriously.

What I do like about Game Center on ML is now we're getting an achievement system on the mac, whoohoo! (But yeah, it's still ugly)

I'll happily pay $29.99/yr for updates. But I'd like to see them do something more radical than simply making Mac more like iOS. That's not very visionary. I think a lot of what Microsoft is doing with Windows 8 is more exciting.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Anyone guess what default setting for Gatekeeper will be, hmm could it be the App store only ???

gatekeeper555.jpg

Gruber's take:

My favorite Mountain Lion feature, though, is one that hardly even has a visible interface. Apple is calling it “Gatekeeper”. It’s a system whereby developers can sign up for free-of-charge Apple developer IDs which they can then use to cryptographically sign their applications. If an app is found to be malware, Apple can revoke that developer’s certificate, rendering the app (along with any others from the same developer) inert on any Mac where it’s been installed. In effect, it offers all the security benefits of the App Store, except for the process of approving apps by Apple. Users have three choices which type of apps can run on Mountain Lion:

Only those from the App Store
Only those from the App Store or which are signed by a developer ID
Any app, whether signed or unsigned
The default for this setting is, I say, exactly right: the one in the middle, disallowing only unsigned apps. This default setting benefits users by increasing practical security, and also benefits developers, preserving the freedom to ship whatever software they want for the Mac, with no approval process.

Call me nuts, but that’s one feature I hope will someday go in the other direction — from OS X to iOS.

horace528

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Quite Unexpected...

Oh gosh, Apple is pushing main updates to the Mac OS X quite fast!
Didn't see this one coming.
Looking forward to this update.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Really like the look of this, love the idea of going to a yearly update cycle and can only assume they're going to try and line up (more or less) with iOS so things like save to iCloud hit all Apple devices at roughly the same time. Suspect there's a fair bit of swearing going on in Redmond at the moment, so much for having the OS news cycle for 2012 dedicated to Windows 8.

Apologies in advance for the whine but... a tad peeved that I just spent 20 minutes updating my post over in the OS X section with info on articles, links to Apple's official site and the Messanger beta app only for the whole thing to be locked rather than added to the official thread. Ah well, a bit frustrating but so be it.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Now this is weird. Really unexpected. Wow.

Soon as the Dev portal opens back up I'm gonna take this for a spin.

Lion to Mountain Lion = Lion 10.7.3 to 10.8

There must be some changes to the underlying frameworks that necessitated a big leap in the kernel.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
So if I upgrade to this OS in the summer, what happens to my Adobe Photoshop cs5 and other non-mac app store apps? :/

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

niiiiice and unexpected. hope they DIDNT change how spaces work back

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Ok so Apple basically admits that Lion is their Vista... Don't like the iOS stuff, sticking with SL.

There is nothing to compare to Vista, no this one year cycle is probably now normal welcome to a new paradigm shift, get over it Windows Vista was a Beta Win 7 that got pushed out the door long before it was ready. :rolleyes:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Sigh. More iOS nonsense in OS X.

i agree.

Less customization, less features, more complicated workflows as soon as you do something more than writing an email.

I wonder when they remove the finder/file system.

Time to learn to use Unbutu I guess...........

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
I really don't like the sound of it. I don't want my desktop to act as a portable device... where Apple is going is a very uncertain territory.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
This just temped me to go out and buy a current Mac that can still boot Snow Leopard and as much apple care as I can get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.