Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside today's OS X Mountain Lion news, Apple released a public beta version of its new Messages app for OS X for existing users. Set to replace iChat in OS X Mountain Lion, the new Messages app integrates features of iChat and FaceTime and adds compatibility with the iMessages service introduced for iOS last year.
Download Messages Beta and get a taste of what's coming in OS X Mountain Lion. When you install Messages, it replaces iChat. But iChat services will continue to work. And Messages brings iMessage to the Mac -- just like on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch running iOS 5. Here are the features you can expect with Messages:

- Send unlimited iMessages to any Mac, iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
- Start an iMessage conversation on your Mac and continue it on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
- Send photos, videos, attachments, contacts, locations, and more.
- Launch a FaceTime video call and bring the conversation face-to-face.
- Messages supports iMessage, AIM, Yahoo!, Google Talk, and Jabber accounts.
os_x_messages.jpg

Update: Apple's servers appear to be overwhelmed at the moment, with the download button for the Messages beta showing an error message. The app is, however, still available via direct download (63.8 MB).

Update 2: The Messages download button is now operating properly.

Article Link: Apple Releases Public Beta of New Messages App for OS X

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Download link unavailable at the moment.

Going to be great being able to reply to messages from my Mac. Hope Apple can sort out the whole SMS mess too though, since right now, they won't show up on the iPad or Mac (if a person replies to an iMessage but it comes in via SMS).

Things are moving fast in Cupertino now and it's nice to see the Mac getting some love. I'm sure this is all part of Steve Jobs roadmap.

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
Didn't we just recently get lion? A sort of not quite finished, slightly buggy OS.....and now for another one? Overtaking microsoft in more ways than just revenue maybe?

Redth

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
Now can someone please reverse engineer the iMessage protocol, and give us a client on Windows?

Thanks!

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Download page is broken for me, shame.

This looks really cool though, just wish Skype and Apple would make peace at let this use Skype as an option, but considering Microsoft bought Skype, I doubt it.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I posted this in the Mac OS X board but it's relevant here...

Unfortunately, in my field of work I'm forced to use a PC in the office. By making Messages a standalone app, I won't be able to iMessage with my friends and colleagues on my computer and will still have to use my iPhone.

It would have been awesome if Apple included iMessage as part of their iCloud web interface (even if they also created the standalone app for Macs). This would have allowed people using any computer in the world (even as a guest) to interact with their iMessage contacts. I thought this was the route Apple was going to take so I'm a little disappointed with the news this morning.

Last edited:

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
It might be me, but I see this as a first sign that Apple is preparing it's current Mac software for tablet devices. Maybe, just maybe, we are going to see an iPad in 2013 or 2014 running Mac OS X.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Anyone notice that on Apple's OSX Mountain Lion page, there's not a single picture of a Mac Pro?

Clearly, "trucks" will play little (or no) role in Apple's future.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2010
Can any of the ones that already downloaded it, upload it to dropbox or something like that?

Or send me a PM if you have it and I'll give you my e-mail.

I've been waiting for this since day one of iMessage!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.