Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Oh dear, you can just drag and drop animated gifs into messages. This is going to be dangerous for me with some of my tumblr-enthusiast friends.

shadowhywind

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2010
Hopefully I have a setting wrong. But the imessages are only being displayed on Lion, they are not syncing to phone. Also even after i closed out of messages, the messages were still being sent to it. Anyone else noticing this as well?

Perhaps in the iMessage account it only has my email address not the phone number?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
You need to go to settings > messages > receive at> caller ID > and choose your apple ID instead of your phone number as the caller ID

This will fix the problem

No it won't. I'm talking about when an iMessage gets sent as an SMS.

ramz003

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2011
Only iPhone Users

It doesnt work from mac to send to non iphone users... they must be iphone users with imessage...
I just tried to send to friend and doesnt have iphone and I got an error message

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
It might be me, but I see this as a first sign that Apple is preparing it's current Mac software for tablet devices. Maybe, just maybe, we are going to see an iPad in 2013 or 2014 running Mac OS X.

WRONG.

I feel this is paving the way for simultaneous iOS and OS X app releases. So one day you can do everything you need on iOS or OS X. In the future (20+ years from now) there will still be iOS and OS X (or it's successor) but both OSes will be able to do the same things. In their own unique ways of cause.

The whole work on something or play a game on one OS and later work/play more on the other OS to finish up what you were doing before is what Apple is aiming for in my opinion. It'll be big on the syncing up save files and preference files between the devices through the cloud. But that's the way Apple isa going in my opinion. And it is the right direction to take.

sterumbelow

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
One thing that remains very frustrating is how every device you have iMessage enabled on lights up and bleeps/vibrates when you receive a message.

The Mac version needs to have a status you can select that enabled only the Computer to bleep and notify, while the others receive in the background.

Would be great to save lots of battery life on my iPhone through the day while I'm at home, but that won't happen if it's lighting up and bleeping every time.

aajeev

macrumors regular
May 7, 2008
One thing that remains very frustrating is how every device you have iMessage enabled on lights up and bleeps/vibrates when you receive a message.

The Mac version needs to have a status you can select that enabled only the Computer to bleep and notify, while the others receive in the background.

Would be great to save lots of battery life on my iPhone through the day while I'm at home, but that won't happen if it's lighting up and bleeping every time.

That's not a bad idea, except when you leave your computer and you forgot to switch off the "Don't send to my phone function". Yon won't be getting any iMessage until you turn it off again. Of course, I suppose apple could build in some auto detect function. Personally, doesn't really bother me that much, the when at home or in office the phone is always on charge anyways.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Does anybody else HATE this about iMessage?

When a friend iMessages me, the iMessage my phone number, NOT my Apple ID.

With Messages for Mac, you don't have a choice but to send from your Apple ID, creating two separate conversations or threads in Messages on iOS.

If you're iMessaging somebody on a Mac from your iPhone, and you lose your 3G or WiFi data connection (every so often you'll see that message that says "Sent as text message") you're screwed. Without a data connection, you can't reply to somebody using Messages for Mac, because it goes through the iMessage protocol.

Apple should find a way to integrate your phone number in iMessage for Mac (and iPad and iPod touch provided the user has an iPhone) so there are no double-conversations in the iOS version of Messages.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2011
i have read messages on my mac but there showing as unread with a little red number in the dock .. oh dear :( lol BETAS are always too good to be true.

Bring on the final release :D

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Hmm... I want my iPhone conversations and my Mac conversations to remain separate. I also don't want to IM a friend from my computer, expecting to have a long conversation, only to have those messages go to his phone. Does the iMessage app show you if people are online on their computers?

Howardchief

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I use iChat a lot. A friend and I use the iChat theater function to stream movies and tv shows to each other. Can someone share with me if there's still something like that with this new iMessages for Mac? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.