Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mountain_lion_icon-150x150.jpg

While OS X Lion was initially announced as an exclusive Mac App Store release, Apple did backtrack slightly before launch with a decision to offer a $69 USB thumb drive to assist users without access to broadband connections.

As reported by Pocket-lint, Apple has decided to end that experiment with OS X Mountain Lion, making the forthcoming release a true Mac App Store exclusive.
Apple has confirmed to Pocket-lint though that its concerns weren't justified with customers not remotely interested in the USB drive offering:

"It was an interesting test, but it turns out the App Store was just fine for getting the new OS."
OS X Mountain Lion is scheduled for a public launch in "late summer", with pricing yet to be announced.

Article Link: OS X Mountain Lion to Be True Mac App Store Exclusive

loki0wn

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
At nearly 3 times the price, no wonder no one was interested in getting the USB stick. Sigh. I don't want to redownload an OS every time I need to format.

CaptainSKA

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2006
I think people would have been more interested if it had been priced appropriately. I didn't take much work for me to find the proper dmg in the app store download and put it on a thumb drive myself. The issue was never that people didn't have broadband - it was that they wanted a backup of the OS installer they could restore from.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
At nearly 3 times the price, no wonder no one was interested in getting the USB stick. Sigh. I don't want to redownload an OS every time I need to format.

And you don't have to if you so choose. I have Lion on a thumbdrive in case I need to re-install.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Bad Apple

This is a bad move by Apple. There are a lot of people who live out in rural areas where high speed internet access are not available. We can't download OSX. This is the end of the road for us. I upgraded my son's computer to OSX Lion because I could get it on the USB thumbdrive. I paid the extra ($69 total) to get it on the thumb drive. Downloading it is just not feasible. Apple is alienating many users this way.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
I think most people found a way around it without paying for the Apple USB flash drive. I made my own for just a few quid. Lets hope I can easily do the same for ML. Restore over the internet is all well and good, but I like to have the USB option still.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
I think people would have been more interested if it had been priced appropriately. I didn't take much work for me to find the proper dmg in the app store download and put it on a thumb drive myself. The issue was never that people didn't have broadband - it was that they wanted a backup of the OS installer they could restore from.

Wrong. A lot of people out in rural areas do not have broadband of a speed sufficient to make downloading OSX feasible. The world is not yet interconnected at high speeds. It is attitudes like yours that creates the digital divide. Reality check, please.

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Hum, with a 12 month update cycle like iOS, I would not be surprised if this and future updates are under $10.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
This is a bad move by Apple. There are a lot of people who live out in rural areas where high speed internet access are not available. We can't download OSX. This is the end of the road for us. I upgraded my son's computer to OSX Lion because I could get it on the USB thumbdrive. I paid the extra ($69 total) to get it on the thumb drive. Downloading it is just not feasible. Apple is alienating many users this way.

I think you could go to an Apple Store and purchase and they'd burn a disc or thumb drive for you...that was different than the regular Thumbdrive though.

idunno, I was lucky enough to have the bandwidth to download Lion

YeahBuddy

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2011
Boston, MA
If all this update is giving us is iOS Apps, then if better not be $29.99. There needs to be quite a few new great features, like the Mirroring feature. From what was announced today I'd except this to be OSX 10.7.4 not 10.8.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Question, should I upgrade to OSX Lion before going straight to this? I'm still using Snow Leopard and haven't really had any motivation/need to switch, but I do like the sounds of some of the features of Mountain Lion. Will skipping one cause any problems?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Question, should I upgrade to OSX Lion before going straight to this? I'm still using Snow Leopard and haven't really had any motivation/need to switch, but I do like the sounds of some of the features of Mountain Lion. Will skipping one cause any problems?

I wouldn't bother. Snow Leopard has the App Store so just download ML from that once it's released.

You're better off sticking with Snow Leopard for now anyway given that Lion is a pile of <insert nasty word here>.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Hum, with a 12 month update cycle like iOS, I would not be surprised if this and future updates are under $10.

I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to just go entirely free, as they did with iOS updates.

Why?

Because they want you to upgrade. If you hear Mountain Lion is available free on the Mac App Store, you're going to go and download it. While you're there, you might notice some other apps. Apple takes at least a 30% cut on anything you decide to buy while you're there.

Why else?

Because Apple has new features in the new OS. They'd like it if developers used the new features. Developers will only use the new features if most of their users upgrade to the new OS. New features = new developers = new customers = revenue to Apple all around. Charging for an OS update is a shot in the foot.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

pubwvj said:

If you have a Mac laptop, just go somewhere with Internet access (Starbucks, a fast food restaurant, etc.), download it, and make a DVD or thumb drive backup.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

And perhaps not that large of a file to download, which will be good for those without major broadband speeds.

----------

This is a bad move by Apple. There are a lot of people who live out in rural areas where high speed internet access are not available.

That's not an Apple issue. That's an ISP issue. Either because yours doesn't offer broadband or because the 'local' companies don't see the need to go out into the rural areas. Perhaps a kick in the pants to your local or state government will get a kick for the ISPs to rethink that notion

jdguggs10

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
Boston

Apple doesn't give a **** about the .1% of people like you who don't have real internet. And they shouldn't. Move.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Its not apples fault you dont get fast internet. You are in a very small minority now so doesnt make business sense. Get over it and stop crying. I suppose you are the ones who will also cry when they drop the superdrive on the macbook pro.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool

maybe they will even make them free if they are doing yearly. Technically they could use the same system they do for ipad, iphone and ipod touch. You are basically paying for all future updates when you purchase your iDevice or mac.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

Obviously they aren't alienating that many users, or they'd continue to offer it. I'm not saying this won't alienate some. But the number is clearly very small.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.