Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanggxAmanda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

My dumb friend cropped one of my pictures and saved it without me knowing. Is there a way to get the original photo (before the crop) back? :(

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

My dumb friend cropped one of my pictures and saved it without me knowing. Is there a way to get the original photo (before the crop) back? :(

It's still there. Crop info is saved as metadata, the original file isn't touched. You can pull it in through iPhoto or windows picture import wizard.

papo2

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
It's still there. Crop info is saved as metadata, the original file isn't touched. You can pull it in through iPhoto or windows picture import wizard.

Anyway to retrieve the original photo from the iPhone itself? instead of having to do it through the computer?

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Anyway to retrieve the original photo from the iPhone itself? instead of having to do it through the computer?

Go back into the crop tool on the phone for that photo - you should see the entire photo again. Stretch out the crop tool so that it includes the entire photo (which is a pain, but doable) and save, and you'll get the whole photo back.

papo2

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Go back into the crop tool on the phone for that photo - you should see the entire photo again. Stretch out the crop tool so that it includes the entire photo (which is a pain, but doable) and save, and you'll get the whole photo back.

Thanks!!

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010

I found out about this today too.

Great feature!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.