Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
When somebody sends an iMessage to the phone number, the Mac app wouldn't get it? Is that right? Am I missing something?

To me that seems to be the case :(

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
I depends on what you write on "receive at".

Well on the iPhone I'm set to receive on my phone number and email. You can't use your phone number on the OS X app.

Also, with the Send as Text as options on the iPhone - one would miss messages as the OS X app wouldn't receive those either even if they were sending to one's email address.

mrockm01

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
NC
Well on the iPhone I'm set to receive on my phone number and email. You can't use your phone number on the OS X app.

Also, with the Send as Text as options on the iPhone - one would miss messages as the OS X app wouldn't receive those either even if they were sending to one's email address.

I just went through this. You need to change your iMessage caller id (settings-messages-recieve at-caller id) to an EMAIL address. It will still be the complete thread on your phone. However the thread on your computer (and to the people you are iMessaging) will be new.

Hope this helped

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
I just went through this. You need to change your iMessage caller id (settings-messages-recieve at-caller id) to an EMAIL address. It will still be the complete thread on your phone. However the thread on your computer (and to the people you are iMessaging) will be new.

Hope this helped

This does help, I don't think it should be accepted as the solution though on Apple's part. Thanks.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

That's good. I'm sure they'll sort it.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Link? I can't find where they say Apple is working on it.

Not explicitly stated, but:

Encouragingly, Apple seemed to understand the caller ID issues with Messages when I asked, so I’m hoping there’s a cohesive solution in the works — there’s certainly plenty of time before Mountain Lion ships this summer.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
How do they make sure your iMessage doesn't get spammed?

i.e. What will stop people from making fake iCloud accounts and just sending spam to every phone number in America?

Last I looked, there wasn't any way to limit iMessage to only receive messages from people on my contacts list.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
When somebody sends an iMessage to the phone number, the Mac app wouldn't get it? Is that right? Am I missing something?

To me that seems to be the case :(

At first, I didn't get any messages sent to my phone number on my computer. But a few hours after having added my phone number in my Apple ID information on their webpage, I started receiving them (the new ones, no sync with the old ones).

So now, I receive all my messages across the board, but you still can't use your phone number as Caller ID on the iPad, iPod Touch or the computer, which means that if anyone sends a message to your phone number and you answer from another device than your phone - it will start a new thread on the receiving end. And if you don't have the phone number as Caller ID on your phone, even an answer from there will produce a new thread.

To fix this, I have the same caller ID everywhere, and told people only to message me on that address if they want to avoid multiple threads.

But this also mean you can really separate your different devices, using the same Apple ID. Kind of cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.