Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple computer do you use for your digital music?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
SOMETHING FOR HI FI LOVERS

Lots of threads but none for Hi Fi lovers.

So:

1) Show off your Hi Fi setups.

2) Ask your questions.

3) Make your suggestions

Preferably with some :apple: device in it.

I am at the moment putting together my setup.

Last edited:

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
These are my pieces.

2075_vienna%20acoustics%20Mozart%20Grand.jpeg
These are the Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands SE Edition

c_a-1688-bimg-dac25ascalato.jpeg
My Onix DAC

primaluna%20dialogue%20two.jpeg
This is my PrimaLuna Dialogue Two Amp

080826-iMac-hlarge-925a.jpeg
An iMac

I am attaching them to my old 24 inch iMac that has all my music in iTunes. Apple lossless.

However I am looking for a very high-end stand:

Anyone have some suggestions?

Last edited:

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
I'll play along:)

This is my temporary setup until my house is finished in May.

Equipment includes:
-Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands and Maestro Grand
-Marantz SR6003
-Apple TV
-Pro-ject Xpression III
-Vincent Phono

Setup, Although I have all new furniture now.
IMG_0025.jpg

ea485303.jpg

Turntable setup
5505322a.jpg

my old setup that I really miss :(
004-12.jpg

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
I'll play along:)

This is my temporary setup until my house is finished in May.

Equipment includes:
-Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands and Maestro Grand
-Marantz SR6003
-Apple TV
-Pro-ject Xpression III
-Vincent Phono

Setup, Although I have all new furniture now.

Turntable setup

my old setup that I really miss :(

Awesome setup.

And a fellow VA lover.

Two questions:

1. How do you find the Marantz + VA combo?

2. How are VA speakers for your movies?

I am now in a position where my HT and my HiFi setups will be separate. I find that HT & HiFi are two competing philosophies that don't play well together.

I was always tweaking in order to get the best out of both.

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
Awesome setup.

And a fellow VA lover.

Two questions:

1. How do you find the Marantz + VA combo?

2. How are VA speakers for your movies?

I am now in a position where my HT and my HiFi setups will be separate. I find that HT & HiFi are two competing philosophies that don't play well together.

I was always tweaking in order to get the best out of both.

Thank you sir and be sure to post some pics when you get everything pieced together! Im certainly jealous of those new Mozart Grand SE's! Very nice.

1. I find the combo to be "good enough". I've always had an external amp for my receiver until recently. The difference in power is certainly noticeable but for listening to digital music I find the internal DACs to be sufficient and for movies its a very enjoyable experience. I have always wanted two setups for music and movies but I have just never had the space... but if properly setup you can still get a fantastic blend of both worlds. Anyway, while the Marantz receiver is meeting my basic requirements I know it can certainly be much better. I used to have a separate pre-amp and amp that I would use for my turntable setup and the music experience was spectacular. Now I just use the Marantz receiver for everything. I still find music enjoyable so thats all that really matters :cool:

2. I find the VA for movies to be great, but that is just my opinion. Some people like a little bit more lively sound for movies, but my personal taste enjoys the laid back warmth compared to the aggressive attack on ear drums that many speakers are voiced for in the Home theater world. When auditioning the VA in store I never really like them for movies, just music. When I was able to get them home and properly setup the sound was fantastic. Like I said before my setup is currently less than ideal until my house is finished but I certainly still enjoy my movie experience through VA speakers.

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
Thanks for that.

I hear you when you say that you are still waiting for your house to be finished. I am in the process of moving myself. And I am still not sure where I will be going.

All my new HiFi equipment is on order and some of it won't arrive for a while. But I had been mulling over the idea of using the VAs for movies. I am still undecided as I have never heard them setup for movies. Your input is leading me towards the idea of at least trying them out. Which si more complicated then it sounds.

Do you have any thoughts on a good phono setup that plays nicely with the VAs? My new PrimaLuna valve amp will come with a phono stage.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Here is my setup (not sure if it qualifies as "Hi Fi", but I like it):

6710409369_15a0646516_b.jpg

Equipment:
Mac Mini
Denon AVR 4311CI
2 Emotiva UPA-1 amps
Project Debut III, Speedbox, Belari VP129 phono amp
PS3
Panasonic Bluray
Oppo 980H (for SACDs and DVD-As)
Wii
Apple TV2
Roku 2 XS
Directv HD DVR

Monitor Audio Silver RS6, RS LCR, RSFX, eD A2-300 sub

I have a couple other systems with NHT SB2 speakers in the bedroom and office, but I mainly use the main system when I listen to speakers. I also have some headphone setups around, but I will save that info for another thread.:D

I voted for Mac Mini since I use it as my main music server with a few airplay devices around the house. I also listen to music on a MBP, iMac, iPhone and iPad (thanks to MOG and airplay), but the mini is the main source.

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
Here is my setup (not sure if it qualifies as "Hi Fi", but I like it):

Equipment:
Mac Mini
Denon AVR 4311CI
2 Emotiva UPA-1 amps
Project Debut III, Speedbox, Belari VP129 phono amp
PS3
Panasonic Bluray
Oppo 980H (for SACDs and DVD-As)
Wii
Apple TV2
Roku 2 XS
Directv HD DVR

Monitor Audio Silver RS6, RS LCR, RSFX, eD A2-300 sub

I have a couple other systems with NHT SB2 speakers in the bedroom and office, but I mainly use the main system when I listen to speakers. I also have some headphone setups around, but I will save that info for another thread.:D

I voted for Mac Mini since I use it as my main music server with a few airplay devices around the house. I also listen to music on a MBP, iMac, iPhone and iPad (thanks to MOG and airplay), but the mini is the main source.

Yeah no, I think you qualify. :D

Awesome stuff- how do the monitor speakers work for you? Home theatre? Hi-Fi (audio)? It is a brand I don't know too much about.

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
This is my setup at the moment which, until March when my new toys arrive, is also my music setup.

_DSC0012.jpg

B&W MT-30 (PV1 subwoofer)
Onkyo 608 receiver
Mac Mini + Drobo
HP Media Server with iTunes music

I can't wait to get my HiFi setup underway.

My question: Anyone have any HiFi rack solutions?

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Yeah no, I think you qualify. :D

Awesome stuff- how do the monitor speakers work for you? Home theatre? Hi-Fi (audio)? It is a brand I don't know too much about.
Monitor Audio is a British company that has made speakers for around 40 years. I use them in a 5.1 system, but use the RS6 more often for stereo than I do for 5.1. I listen to music quite a bit more than I watch movies.

I am very happy with two channel sound from my 4311CI/UPA-1/RS6 setup.

My other systems aren't what some would call "Hi Fi", but I really like the sound of the NHT SB2 speakers and I use them in two separate setups. I had them in a 5.1 setup in the bedroom, but I replaced the surrounds with a cheaper pair of Insignia speakers and stuck the NHTs in my office for 2 channel audio.

(sorry about the wide angle lens distortion)

6147984121_f9c5940063_b.jpg

5969055730_6322600bf9_b.jpg

veteq

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
Here is mine,

sys0.jpg

sys1.jpg

Mcintosh C2200 pre-amp
Mcintosh MC275 amp
JA Michell TT with a Lyra Dylos Cartridge (1st arm) and Denon 103R (2nd arm), Bent SUT
Focals 1028BE speakers.

Doesn't get used much once the warm weather arrives but greatly enjoyed in the winter months

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Here is mine,

Mcintosh C2200 pre-amp
Mcintosh MC275 amp
JA Michell TT with a Lyra Dylos Cartridge (1st arm) and Denon 103R (2nd arm), Bent SUT
Focals 1028BE speakers.

Doesn't get used much once the warm weather arrives but greatly enjoyed in the winter months

Holy crap that a lot of Mcintosh gear. Beautiful setup!

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Simply awesome set up Veteq..I love me some McIntosh, its a shame such equipment is so dog-gon costly.

veteq

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
^ that is beautiful. What stand do you have for all of your components?

thank you all for the comments

I just can't remember the stand's brand. I got it because it was fully adjustable and solid enough to take the weight of the components.

When it comes to digital sound.
Imac ---> the logitech touch (the one with the clock)-->DAC (wired4sound, amazing unit) --> Mcintosh C2200

ttate90303

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
California
thank you all for the comments

I just can't remember the stand's brand. I got it because it was fully adjustable and solid enough to take the weight of the components.

When it comes to digital sound.
Imac ---> the logitech touch (the one with the clock)-->DAC (wired4sound, amazing unit) --> Mcintosh C2200

From the looks of it the stand appears to be a Salamander Archetype 5. Very nice setup.

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
Here is mine,

Mcintosh C2200 pre-amp
Mcintosh MC275 amp
Focals 1028BE speakers.

That truly is awesome equipment. Thanks for sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.