Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BizRunner

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
Iowa City, Iowa
It sounds crazy I know, but I feel like OSX is getting to the point where ML may be a free upgrade from Lion. It seems like they are heading the route of iOS.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I sure hope not. Apple's developers and the company itself deserve to get paid.

Enough with all this FREE Entitlement drivel.

I don't care what it costs, I care how it performs. Period.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It sounds crazy I know, but I feel like OSX is getting to the point where ML may be a free upgrade from Lion. It seems like they are heading the route of iOS.

I was thinking that, too. I can't imagine it costing more than $29, but it might be a little too much to be free.

adamtheturtle

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
I can imagine a situation when Mac software updates become free like iOS ones. It benefits the store having developers able to require iOS 5 even now because of its widespread adoption.

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I was thinking that, too. I can't imagine it costing more than $29, but it might be a little too much to be free.

I expect it'll be free otherwise how would Internet Recovery know what you're entitled to? If they're moving to the iOS model, we'll see annual major releases and it'll deprecate hardware faster than before.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it was cheaper than the last couple of updates. So far, it doesn't feel like a "major" update, like the leap from Tiger to Leopard, or even Snow Leopard to Lion. I would bet an even cheaper price tag of $19.99.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still happily pay $29.99 for ML.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I expect it'll be free otherwise how would Internet Recovery know what you're entitled to?

They could have pre-ML macs only be able to download Lion with Internet Recovery. Then you'd have to download ML on top of that if you bought it.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
They could have pre-ML macs only be able to download Lion with Internet Recovery. Then you'd have to download ML on top of that if you bought it.

Exactly! In fact that is how it would have to work. If you sell your Mac which came with Lion, the purchaser would only be entitled to Lion and not ML even if you paid for it since App Store software licenses are non-transferrable.

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Exactly! In fact that is how it would have to work. If you sell your Mac which came with Lion, the purchaser would only be entitled to Lion and not ML even if you paid for it since App Store software licenses are non-transferrable.

And yet no iPhones or iPads work remotely this way... Why should they be any different? At its heart, apple is a hardware company.

Mister9

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
I'll be kind of upset if I have to pay for the update. I still want my money back for Lion..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'll be kind of upset if I have to pay for the update. I still want my money back for Lion..

You don't have to pay for anything. 10.8 is not an update but an upgrade, if you don't want it, then save your money. Nobody is forcing you to upgrade.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010

uh, you know when you do internet recovery, they make you sign in? After you sign in, you could be presented with a prompt that allows you to choose between Lion and Mountain Lion...

jingjianasdfq63

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
uh, you know when you do internet recovery, they make you sign in? After you sign in, you could be presented with a prompt that allows you to choose between Lion and Mountain Lion

Macintosheux

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
Lyon, France
Nope.

http://translate.google.com/transla...somac.fr/news-1339-messages-pas-sur-lion.html

messages.jpg

riam

macrumors regular
May 7, 2010
Mty, Mexico
I think apple is making a bad decision with ML, they plan to release it jus a year after Lion, and they are concentrating their efforts in making a paid update, but there are still some known issues with wifi in Lion so now what we will have to pay to get another update when the last one doesn't even work correctly this is Crap. I think they should fix issues with lion first and stop thinking of charging more money to people for minor updates, because all the ML features are missing things in lion.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Hoping for $9.99, probably $19.99, could be $29.99. Just my guess.

hotgrease

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2010
Seems like just a few integrated apps - it really should be free. Going to skip if it costs anything.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
And yet no iPhones or iPads work remotely this way... Why should they be any different? At its heart, apple is a hardware company.

iOS upgrades have been free (with one exception) so there is no issue there. However any apps you buy for iOS are non-transferrable, just like the Mac Store apps (and the OS X upgrades are Mac Store apps). They are all tied to your Apple ID.

Companies don't have hearts. Selling intellectual property (apps, tunes, movies) is a major profit source for Apple. The "churn" keeps developers happy, too.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I expect it'll be free otherwise how would Internet Recovery know what you're entitled to? If they're moving to the iOS model, we'll see annual major releases and it'll deprecate hardware faster than before.

easy. Just issue a firmware update to have it download ML instead of L.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.