Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3rd Doctor

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Will be interesting to see how apple/valve handle this, with apple trying to push developers to using the mac app store exclusively, will we see the steam app on the mac app store come 10.8 launch?

Of course you install games through steam, but will apple be happy with this in the long run? (i'm thinking in future versions of OS X after 10.8) Or will apple want to cut off any outside 3rd party software provider for apps/games and only allow publication on the mac app store?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
A store in a store? No.

Steam on iOS contains the store, though the reason Apple probably allows this is because the store is for a different platform, which wouldn't be the case if it were a Mac App Store app.

Irrespective of the store issue, Steam breaks all sorts of app store guidelines.

adamtheturtle

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
There are some "store in a store" apps - especially book apps. However the MAS guidelines would stop Steam entering.

It will be interesting to see the tradeoffs between supporting Steam and Game Center however.

tblrsa

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Valve does not have to offer Steam in the MAS I think. They just need to provide valid signatures and Gatekeeper should be fine with it, as far as I understood the concept.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Steam isn't the issue - Valve likely pays for a developer account and can get a certificate - but will the games be signed? Very unlikely.

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Will be interesting to see how apple/valve handle this, with apple trying to push developers to using the mac app store exclusively, will we see the steam app on the mac app store come 10.8 launch?

Of course you install games through steam, but will apple be happy with this in the long run? (i'm thinking in future versions of OS X after 10.8) Or will apple want to cut off any outside 3rd party software provider for apps/games and only allow publication on the mac app store?

I think Apple cannot require the App Store for Mac. It's antitrust. I think it will eventually fall on iOS also. There must be competition in the software provision market.

The fact is that the App Store on iOS is a PIECE OF CRAP. It's the crappiest way to browse potential software purchases that I've ever used. Apple does not even deserve to make 30% on App sales. It does a terrible job of organizing content, provides few search options for users, and is not forced to change or do anything different because there is NO competition, due to their anti-competitive practices.

I sure hope the FTC knocks apple down a few notches for that one. I love the OS, I love the platform, I am a lifetime customer and user, but I will be damned if I will be forced to get my software exclusively from Apple or distribute my software exclusively through Apple. They can go F themselves if they think they can pull this on devs and distributors. We'll see 'em in court!!!

EDIT: They do it in the name of "security" but that's total BS. It's like the contractor who built your house requiring you to pay a door man that only they approve of, even though you own the house and the land it's built on. It's a total crock of S!!! It's my freaking house and I can do whatever I want with it. I own it! They want to say that because you have to click "agree" to some 68-page agreement (an agreement is not an agreement unless BOTH parties are in agreement of EACH OTHER'S terms) that forces you to "agree" that you're only allowed to use software in whatever manner APPLE decides it wants you to, which they can change at any time without even notifying you, and that you are violating copyright if you use it in a non-approved manner, etc.... so much heinous BS...

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
No doubt that Apple will soon only allow App Store apps on OS X, resulting in many people being without the great games that Steam provides. The only way I see things working for both Apple and Valve is if Valve start bringing out their games for the App Store. However since Valve is strict on the fact that Steam is needed for their games, I can't see it happening and I can only see that Steam won't be available for Macs on the newer App Store only OSs.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
There has been plenty things Apple have said over the years that they have gone back on.

Perhaps. But the statement:

No doubt that Apple will soon only allow App Store apps on OS X
Is downright false unless you have proof of such a thing. Apple knows that such a thing is not a practical option. All evidence to date points to explicit statements from Apple that users will always have the option of installing their own applications.

Apple themselves relies on Applications that they know damned well are not going to be sold in their app store. That should be proof enough. Their engineers are not going to shoot themselves in the foot like that.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Perhaps. But the statement:

Is downright false unless you have proof of such a thing. Apple knows that such a thing is not a practical option. All evidence to date points to explicit statements from Apple that users will always have the option of installing their own applications.

Apple themselves relies on Applications that they know damned well are not going to be sold in their app store. That should be proof enough. Their engineers are not going to shoot themselves in the foot like that.

Heh, okay. I'll adjust my statement.

It is in my opinion that there is no doubt that Apple will soon only allow App Store apps on OS X.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Why wouldn't they be?

All of you are overthinking this.

Lets say you are a game developer. You have been developing games as part of a team for about ten years now, releasing both Mac and PC versions over the years.

Now Apple make it so only signed Apps can be run (unless you change a setting). Are you really going to go through your entire Mac discography that you have previously released and have all of your apps signed? Or are you going to continue developing your new game and earn some money?

Many people here say that it is up to the app developer to make sure an app is compatible with the OS. I say it is a shared responsibility. OS's and Apps need each other like flowerpots and dirt nowadays.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Steam will stay where it is and things will continue how they were: not everything can be on the App Store, and not everything will be on the App Store. Steam, Adobe Creative Suite, and many big names do NOT comply with Apple's guidelines, but who cares? Apple won't force us to install only Mac App Store games, because then people won't buy Macs, it's that simple. Try telling someone that you can't play games on Macs, and that you can't run Photoshop...

If Steam came to the App Store, they'd have to give 30% to Apple on every game purchased too. They won't do that.

The Mac App Store is nice for those micro-applications that don't do much, but for anything else, you need to go into the wild.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.