Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
UK
Well, as the title suggests...

What do you think? Do you think they might be feeling confident about Windows 8 taking off, or worried by this *very sudden* news regarding OS X?

Interesting to speculate...

HabSonic

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Canada
I'm pretty sure they don't care about Lion or Mountain Lion. They won the desktop war a long time ago and they will continu to lose marketshare even if they release the best product ever. They do care about missing the mobile transition (if it's not already too late). That's about it imo.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Windows 8

I have played with windows 8, if they fix some of the bugs and keep going in the current direction it'll be great. Its the first windows I've used since Windows ME, and I have actually enjoyed it.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
They should only be worried if they triy to copy some of the features. If W8 sports anything like autosave/versions, there is suddenly nowhere left to jump. If they leave those out or make them OPTIONS, which I think MS is likely to allow, then they will just continue to catch the Lion Maligned.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Agreed about MS Office. Apple needs to somehow make Pages the definitive go to word program, not sure how they could do that though...

I'm not even sure Apple is all that interested in that. Pages is the resource for people who just want to type stuff without all the complicated (yet sophisticated) MS Office settings. All the iWork tools have a long way to go (I think catching Excel would be impossible), but they have their niche and they probably aren't a huge money maker for Apple.

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Agreed about MS Office. Apple needs to somehow make Pages the definitive go to word program, not sure how they could do that though...

I have both Pages and MS Office 2011. They have overlap, but their default uses are opposite. Pages to me is more like a lite Quark Express (page layout software), while Word is more a functional Word Processor. Both can do either, but Pages shines at layout compared to Word, while Word has processing features such as Track Changes, Document Security, etc...

Pages is fine the way it is. I'd rather have both programs, one that excels at each than one that tries to everything. Pages for creating, Word for collaborating (especially with Windows users).

abugbitme

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I think MS has a real problem on their hands. They sell a few categories of products, server OS, client OS, (Do they even have a portable OS? Oh yes they do, it's just not successful.) and a productivity suite. They have lost the all but the first category already whether most people realize it or not. They are in BIG trouble. It could be a stock you could short sell and hold for a long time as they go down the toilet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.