Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I'm looking forward to iMessage and AirPlay Mirroring. These features I could really use. Game Center will be a nice addition and only makes sense to add. Everything is getting much closer to bring completely integrated.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
When do we get to mirror our iOS devices onto our Mac? My mini is already connected to my tv. I want to mirror my iPad to it so I can see it on my tv. Why can't my Mac do what an Apple TV can do?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
They haven't mentioned a single feature related to pro users.

What would you suggest?

No question they should do things specifically to help out people running high end apps, but what specifically is something that they would include in a day one announcement?

B00KemDAN0

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
When do we get to mirror our iOS devices onto our Mac? My mini is already connected to my tv. I want to mirror my iPad to it so I can see it on my tv. Why can't my Mac do what an Apple TV can do?

then you wouldnt have to buy an apple TV? :)

sportguy0913

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
USA
Apple surprised everyone this morning with a developer preview of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

I literally just bought Lion... sigh... that's the way the cookie crumbles... Hopefully it will only be $30 again. I'm thankful Lion was only $30, don't get me wrong, but I would have waited for MT Lion if I knew it was coming not too far away.........

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008

This and access to Photo Stream will make the upgrade worth the ?$29? price upgrade.

Can I skip Lion?

waiting for more info to come...

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Why no ibooks?

The reason I avoid ibookstore and buy books from amazon is the lack of an ibooks app for desktop computers

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Installed on my other machine. Saw that they had removed a substantial item from my workflow. Saw the shinies. Realized that this was not going to be a needed upgrade. Decided to skip this one.

Now restoring 10.7.3 from Time Machine. Easy.

What items have been removed?

--

I'm kind of surprised you can't run iOS apps on Mountain Lion.. and that Dashboard hasn't been improved / changed - its been forgotten since its release.

techsmith

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
Looks great! I am really crossing my fingers for a HFS+ replacement, but I have a feeling it won't be this release.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
then you wouldnt have to buy an apple TV? :)
I already own a Mac mini, 2 Macbook Pros, an iPad, and 2 iPhones, and numberous iPods. It's not like I don't give Apple lots of money every year.

Apple TV should be for people who only want to spend $99 to run their TV with a Mac. If I'm willing to spend $999 to run my TV with a Mac, I shouldn't get less features.

Hell, I'd even pay $99 for an OSX application that exactly replicated everything an Apple TV does (despite the fact that there's already a lot of overlap with OSX). What I do not want is yet another thing plugged into my TV.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
They haven't mentioned a single feature related to pro users. Nothing. It's all about being a consumer, consuming video and sharing your unemployment stories with your friends.

P.S. Why am I a newbie even though i joined in 2003?

Post count

macaddict06

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
about 3 meters from here. *points*
AirPlay mirroring

So, since all Macs have a vertical resolution >720px, is this a hint that a new 1080-capable AppleTV is forthcoming? I can't imagine users on iMacs, MBPs, MacPros etc being satisfied with permanently down-scaled image!

..hope this isn't wishful thinking

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

And we need game center on our Macs why?

What do we even need it for at all? It's just annoying.

bmwmcrzy

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2006
Does anyone know what the requirements are? most likely core duo 2 +

Last edited:

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
-not surprized with win 8 coming soon
-interesting new features
-hope no bugs (stable like snow leopard would be nice)
-really pushing the cloud
-wonder if there not getting ready to push osx out the door for a full IO os

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
iMessage, Notes, and Airplay Mirroring.

* Bout time. Been waiting for those features for some time. Notes and Mirroring long before there was Lion.

I'm also definitely thinking they should add iBooks. Or just some way to read them on the Mac. It's the only Apple platform (sans the TV) that can't read them even though I would mostly do that on the iPad.

prhammer

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
*Yawn*

Looks like I will be sticking with Snow Leopard for awhile.

Have to agree. Just one more step towards the ipadification of the Mac.

I didn't think they would fix any of the things that have kept me from Lion, but I still had hope. Today, hope died or at least got very sick! Right at the top of my list is that I still prefer the old approach to spaces. Maybe there will be more under the hood, but I'm not holding my breath.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Wait, how is this article different from the other one? Is there a list of ALL of the new features and changes anywhere?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I hate how Notification Center pushes the entire desktop away to the left. A semi-transparent sliding overlay similar to Growl's default UI would be much more elegant.
I am with you on that. It just does not work really moving everything and it would be annoying if you are working on say a paper or email to have it moved on you when all you want to do is have a quick glance.

I'd like this. Maybe Apple will give us an option. But you can use a gesture to activate notification centre so maybe it won't be that bad.

Apple gives you an option to do things more than one way? Come one we both know that is not really Apple's way. They tell you what is best.

Personally I do not like them putting iMessaging into the desktop. It is going to cause issues because how we write message from a computer is very different than from a phone and much faster. It makes communications between someone on a phone and a computer rather annoying. Anyone who has used one of the meany IM clients that bridges the gap between the 2 more than likely have noticed this frustrations in there are two different styles of writing and responding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.