Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BlogdoiPhone claims to have somehow obtained a "pre-GM" version of iOS 5.1. GM refers to Golden Master version of the software which is typically the final production version.

Only two new minor findings have been discovered. One is an ever-present camera icon on the lock screen of iOS 5.1. In present versions, the camera button only appears if you double-tap the home button. In this version of iOS 5.1, the camera icon is there at all times, but instead of a button, it's a slider.

Sliding up on the camera icon seems to reveal the Camera app that allows you to take photos without fully unlocking the iPhone. Presumably, this is quicker than the existing solution which actually requires the Camera app to be launched.

The other finding is the presence of a Japanese language setting in Siri. This has been rumored to be an impending feature for Siri.

Apple has been seeding developers with versions of iOS 5.1 beta for some time, but the last release was January 9th. Apple may be waiting to release iOS 5.1 alongside the new iPad which is expected on March 7th. We're not certain about the legitimacy of BlogdoiPhone's screenshots, but carriers presumably do get early builds that may not make it into developer betas.

Article Link: iOS 5.1 'Pre-GM' Seed Leaked? Camera Slider, Japanese Siri

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'd probably still use double-tap and camera push. Find it quicker than tap home then slide.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Looks cool, but the 5.0.1 way of doing this doesn't actually open the Camera app, it just uses the camera while locked. If you unlock it afterwords and check the multitasking tray, Camera isn't there.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I'm not sure if I like them shrinking the lock button like that. If I want the camera screen, I know to hit the home twice :/

Starship77

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
I'm not sure if I like them shrinking the lock button like that. If I want the camera screen, I know to hit the home twice :/

Yeah, but many people don't know about this "double tap to camera" shortcut. Many times I see people asking me "What did you do there??", because they never imagined it was possible. With this, it will be quite obvious to everyone. ;)

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
Provided this isn't fake/cut from the actual GM, this is a smart move. I know we all know that camera shortcut's there, but I lost count of how many people I've had to show it to. Apple doesn't point out that many things on first launch, and most people don't even read those. I mean, plenty of people don't even know the multitasking bar exists (depressing, I know!).

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Someone in the jailbreak community will come out with the tweak now since they've seen the pictures. I'm going to be stay on 5.0.1 until 5.1 is jailbroken.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
still no new Siri features? seriously? come on now apple, it took the cydia guys half a day to come up with new amazing commands

Coltaine

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Today's been quite a ride.

Just when you think things start dragging along, it goes BOOM and better have your seatbelt fastened tight.

New OS X on the horizon, tons of new, incredible features on the horizon, iOS 5.1 with more incredible new features on the horizon, iPad 3 on the horizon...

It's pretty cool how Apple really catch you totally off-guard.
And the most amazing thing: you don't even know exactly, how they did it. Talk to a few journalists, quietly seed out some Mountain Lion previews, get everything into just the right position and then...it all goes topsy-turvy.

Today was a good day!

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
When iOS 5 first came out I was using a jailbroken iPhone. I saw the camera button on the lock screen, and I thought it was really cool. I downloaded an application from Cydia that allowed me to do the same thing on my jailbroken iPhone 4S which was on iOS 4.3

The problem was that it was always there just like you see on this new version of iOS 5.1

At first I thought the idea of that was really cool and even better then the implementation from Apple, but I soon discovered that my iPhone was more often than not open with the camera application in my pocket wasting battery. I found that several times durring the week my iPhone would be burning up and I would take it out of my pocket and see that the camera application was open accidentally hit by my fingers

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
it's too bad you can't swap out the Camera app for another, such as Camera+ (for lock screen access, I mean).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.