Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCP-511

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
This is a bad move by Apple. There are a lot of people who live out in rural areas where high speed internet access are not available. We can't download OSX. This is the end of the road for us. I upgraded my son's computer to OSX Lion because I could get it on the USB thumbdrive. I paid the extra ($69 total) to get it on the thumb drive. Downloading it is just not feasible. Apple is alienating many users this way.

I fully agree. My broadband is really baud-band, its terrible and I can't download things that large. I'm in a rural area and stuck on cheesy wireless internet. If not for the thumb drive option, I'd not be able to update. Sad thing is its $40 a month and no where near DSL speeds, but there's no other options.

hyungsup

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2009
I don't really think this is a problem....

The focus has been cloud computing!

If people use extremely slow broadband, then they should keep on using snow leopard or lion if then already have it.

Cloud computing is pretty much useless if you have slow internet connection...

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
I've never used the Mac App Store and I never will. I'll just stick with Snow Leopard until my MacBook Pro breaks.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Well, of course they got a lukewarm response to an offer of a $69 thumb drive. For $69 I can get an ticket on Southwest from just about anywhere in California to fly to Cupertino to download Lion! They can't be surprised if they price something unreasonably high that they then find that nobody wants to buy it. Had the premium for a physical copy been more like on the order of $10, their "test" would have been far more meaningful. Even then, for me, if I had nothing more than my iPhone's 3G data plan with which to download Lion, the overage from doing so would have only been $10 (assuming that I didn't have to do it more than once - Apple's retry stuff had better be perfect).

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
This is a bad move by Apple. There are a lot of people who live out in rural areas where high speed internet access are not available. We can't download OSX. This is the end of the road for us. I upgraded my son's computer to OSX Lion because I could get it on the USB thumbdrive. I paid the extra ($69 total) to get it on the thumb drive. Downloading it is just not feasible. Apple is alienating many users this way.

What, you can't download it at all? What is your download rate? My grandparents in a small town in Arizona get 6mbps download on their Quest DSL, and it's fast enough.

Even if you have something very slow, you can just let it sit and download for a day. My friend has a 300kbps download rate, and he's downloaded 10GB games from Steam.

----------

I don't really think this is a problem....

The focus has been cloud computing!

If people use extremely slow broadband, then they should keep on using snow leopard or lion if then already have it.

Cloud computing is pretty much useless if you have slow internet connection...

Not really. 300KB files are not a problem even for dialup.

I'm unaware of any data limit on my internet service. But, this question is about the moment. I'm concerned how things can change in the future.

I mean...I use to have unlimited AT&T data on my phone and look how that has changed.

No, there is a separate line for your house on the fiber. They don't care one bit how much of it you use.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I absolutely positively could not agree with you more. Even though it does not effect me, I find this very unsettling.

I am a very loyal and enthusiastic Apple user, it bothers me greatly that Apple can be so difficult, rude, selfish, and arrogant, as to pull crap like this.

I try really hard not to call them greedy, but they are.

Apple is one of the the most self centered of all tech companies. Just because they weren't selling as many Lion USB flash drives as they may have expected to, is no reason to stop offering them to those who truly need one.

The high price is nothing surprising, Apple has never held back on pricing their gear at well above average in many, many cases.

No one can sell like Apple can. No one can convince people to spend money like Apple can. The fact that this new OS is being offered only via download is total rubbish.

I hate it when Apple infuriates me over nonsense like this. And hate is a word I almost never use. Now that Jobs has passed, this latest announcement proves the greed will continue unabated.

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
Apple doesn't give a **** about the .1% of people like you who don't have real internet. And they shouldn't. Move.

Do you use the same philosophy when it comes to politics? Medical care? Civil Rights?

Who cares about those people. They don't count anyway.

Jelite

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
UK
Thats interesting. The fastest I can get in my area is 256kbps.

Not everyone lives in a big city. I live in next to one of the biggest towns in Europe and can't even get a Mb. I think the article is rather questionable.

Im sure there are places with terrible speeds but to say the average for the uk is 0.5mbps is nonsense.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA

Wrong take a trip to an apple store and they will help you install it there.

This is not Windows please how many people have actually had to re-install their OS Lion?

Also who do you upgrade?

How do you get new programs?

how do you do anything?

Glad Apple has left this issue behind, moving on I hear Windows 8 rocks muhahahahahahaha. :rolleyes:

----------

I fully agree. My broadband is really baud-band, its terrible and I can't download things that large. I'm in a rural area and stuck on cheesy wireless internet. If not for the thumb drive option, I'd not be able to update. Sad thing is its $40 a month and no where near DSL speeds, but there's no other options.

Well there is that move out of the boondocks alternative. :D

----------

I've never used the Mac App Store and I never will. I'll just stick with Snow Leopard until my MacBook Pro breaks.

Windows 8 rocks, I think your ready to move over, what do you say? :rolleyes:

----------

I absolutely positively could not agree with you more. Even though it does not effect me, I find this very unsettling.

I am a very loyal and enthusiastic Apple user, it bothers me greatly that Apple can be so difficult, rude, selfish, and arrogant, as to pull crap like this.

I try really hard not to call them greedy, but they are.

Apple is one of the the most self centered of all tech companies. Just because they weren't selling as many Lion USB flash drives as they may have expected to, is no reason to stop offering them to those who truly need one.

Its exactly why I love the Company. I miss Jobs and his snooty attitude. Life was good when he was pissing off the competition and users. ;)

garbeth

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Brisvegas
And how many of those people use mac os x?

I dont see why you should get mountain lion in first place if you dont have internet - i mean all new features are requiring you to have high speed internet, especially for software updates and icloud photostream. And i have never seen anyone complaining that apple dont release every single software updates via discs or usb drives for those who dont have broadband.

If you dont have broadband, you probably wont be making good use of the operating system anyway, so it is not the operating system of choice for you.

Wow...... I just don't know how to reply to that. So ignorant.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Wrong. A lot of people out in rural areas do not have broadband of a speed sufficient to make downloading OSX feasible. The world is not yet interconnected at high speeds. It is attitudes like yours that creates the digital divide. Reality check, please.

It's not the end of the road for people with slow internet connections. You can still download it. So what if it takes two or three days? Like people have never left downloads on for days at a time before? ;)

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Wow...... I just don't know how to reply to that. So ignorant.

I don't understand. Tell me anyone who has complained that Apple don't release software updates on a disc because there are people who don't have internet. If they can download software updates, they can download operating system.

End of story.

webcity

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
United Kingdom
I agree with everyone that says this is a terrible move by Apple.

The house I lived in up until a year ago had such a poor broadband speed (of 0.5Mbps) that was one of the deciding factors in us moving. Can you imagine having to download Lion on a 0.5Mbps internet connection? It would be a joke.

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011

I don't understand people like you. Couldn't you use your dedication with something that makes sense, like curing world hunger? I don't see why you'd want to "never" use the MAS. It's convenient as hell. Is there a lot of software on it? Not really. But what's on it is easier to download/install/update than any other distribution system before it. Some people are so peculiar.:rolleyes:

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK

nzlucas

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
London
+1

We don't have 'local' Apple stores in England.

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/storelist/ There is plenty of stores around the country!

I have a reasonable connection speed, it took about a day to download lion, so it is do-able, but not practical. Apple TV is a waste of time here, I can't stream anything. So I have a boxee with my own content on it.

Is your computer wired to the router? or are you you using wireless? You are assuming that your connection was the reason for the slow download, but if you are having trouble streaming to a Appletv then its your router and your wireless is probably out of date. Demand a new router from ISP and upgrade to N wireless and you will have no problem streaming to a Appletv with a decent connection as you claim to have. Plugging in to the router with a network cable will make any big downloads faster.

But what made me post was the ignorance of some people here.

It isn't a minority of people with poor broadband. A lot of people have poor broadband in England. And it's nothing to do with ISP's, its to do with the technology we have.

Can you quantify this statement? ISP's are giving out N wireless router these days. Also check this to see who has bad BB http://maps.ofcom.org.uk/broadband/

The picture you paint is that the UK is backwards and everybody is running Windows NT!!!

What made me post here is that none of your comments make sense and you gave no information to back up your opinion.
C

Lahmy88

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Shepparton, Victoria, Australia
It might be because I grew up with Windows, but I prefer to 'clean-install' operating systems. So as long as I can burn the Mountain Lion to disc like I could Lion, no problem ;) (I hate the thought over an OS installing 'on-top-of' the older one. Just isn't right :p

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Hi, I'm from the UK.

Over here, our average downspeed is currently 0.5mbps. Yeah, that's the whole country.

Absolute nonsense. The *average* UK broadband speed is currently 7.6Mbps, up from 6.2Mbps a year ago.

Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/ne...oadband-speeds-up-22-percent-finds-ofcom.html

I appreciate there are rural areas in the UK (as in many countries) that have issues getting high speed broadband. But I would be very surprised if there is any city in the UK where you can only get 0.5Mbps.

alexexexex

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2005
Hi, I'm from the UK.

Over here, our average downspeed is currently 0.5mbps. Yeah, that's the whole country.

Downloading Lion is a pain in the ass unless you live in a big city over here.

The UK's average broadband speed is 7.6Mbps, says Ofcom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.