Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drask

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Hello there,

I'm planning to start learning objective-c so I can focus on iOS apps late on, my brother owns the third edition, would it be a good idea to buy the 4th one from amazon? or just ask my brother for the 3rd one?

Also if I get the 4th one, is it a good idea to get it as an eBook? I own an iPad so I can read it there, but i read that it isn't good in the kindle version, so i was wondering if it's readable in the iPad and/or iMac kindle app.

Thanks for for time

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
The 4th edition covers changes in Memory Management, namely Automatic Reference Counting. I haven't seen the 4th edition, but I would hope it doesn't ignore more traditional memory management techniques in favor or ARC. Someone else may be able to comment on that.

There is no real harm in using the 3rd edition. Be sure to follow that up by reading and understanding ARC.

What exactly is wrong with the Kindle edition?

Drask

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
The 4th edition covers changes in Memory Management, namely Automatic Reference Counting. I haven't seen the 4th edition, but I would hope it doesn't ignore more traditional memory management techniques in favor or ARC. Someone else may be able to comment on that.

There is no real harm in using the 3rd edition. Be sure to follow that up by reading and understanding ARC.

What exactly is wrong with the Kindle edition?

So are you saying the 3rd edition would be better? I mean I know the 4th edition covers ARC but not sure how important that is (since I'm just familiar with java and c++), wouldn't it be learning something that it is kinda obsolete? The reason I'm asking is because i'm not sure how big the difference in the book is, I mean is just $20 at amazon but still I could save them if it's not a big change.

The problem i read with the kindle version is that it isn't good for code reading, they say it's excellent for novels or just text but not for code or screenshots, I'm asking if the iPad version is hard to read as well.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
He's the owner's book, of course he will say that, otherwise he wouldn't make more and more editions, I was hoping for someone who already read (or has been reading) the current 4th edition and the third one.

Thanks for your reply though, much appreciated.

:confused: He said you don't need the 4th edition if you have the 3rd?!? I don't know what you read.

That said, I own the 3rd as hardcopy and got the 4th as a Nook book on sale that I can use on my Nook and iPad. The only edition I've read fully is the second which I traded in for the third.

B

Drask

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
:confused: He said you don't need the 4th edition if you have the 3rd?!? I don't know what you read.

That said, I own the 3rd as hardcopy and got the 4th as a Nook book on sale that I can use on my Nook and iPad. The only edition I've read fully is the second which I traded in for the third.

B

Haha totally my bad, how's your iPad version? is it readable? or would you recommend the book to be way better?

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2003
Personally I always prefer physical versions of textbooks than electronic ones, simply because I find it easier to flick around the book, make notes, etc etc.

somology

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2010
I have the pdf version of both 3rd and 4th

I purchased the 3rd and 4th edition books from informit.com with a coupon from safari books online, because I sometimes like to print out and markup, but still use it on my iPad.

Being new to Objective-C and Xcode, it was a little hard for me to follow the 3rd edition during the first few chapters, since there were changes that affected coding basics. But now I can understand why.

I also am using Big Nerd Ranch's Objective-C Programming book and switching between both books. It is a great book, because it starts out with C programming that Kochan includes in a later chapter. It helps speed up the learning process for me. Plus, the BNR book online forums are current and great for beginners.

Have fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.