Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you affected and if so, how, what's your plan?

• Not affected - not worrying

Votes: 143 54.6%
  • Not affected - worrying for someone else

Votes: 39 14.9%
  • Affected - not worrying (Why? e.g. Upgrading anyway?)

Votes: 25 9.5%
  • Affected - worrying, but will stick to Lion then :/

Votes: 18 6.9%
  • Affected - want to get it either way - hacking it will be!

Votes: 20 7.6%
  • Affected - want to get it - but don't think a hack will be a smooth solution

Votes: 17 6.5%

• Total voters

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
I read somewhere that mid2007 and up MBPs were listed as working in the developer notes.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Less than a year ago, I pried open my Macbook and 3 Mac minis and upgraded the RAM so I could install Lion on them. Why? Because Apple announced they were doing away with Mobile Me and if I wanted to keep the functionality, I had to move to iCloud which meant I had to move to Lion.

So if Apple is serious about this Intel graphics thing, I'm 4+ machines away from being able to run ML. I think we'll be on Lion for a long time to come. I thought Apple would relent and bring iCloud to SL. They did not. I now sort of half heartedly expect Apple to relent and allow ML to run on older Intel hardware. But after being disappointed by Apple's inflexibility with Lion, I'm not holding out much hope.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Wasnt sure if this would be the end of the road for Core 2 Duo systems, sounds like a mixed bag so far. Lion runs like a champ on my MBP, but for 10.8, I would really like the option of physical media for a tidy install.

My only odd thought, why remove Mac from OS X? Unless Apple plans on pushing releases to the PC camp as an alternative to Windows. :confused:

DrNoellyG

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
I have a spare aluminum 2008 macbook pro that I use as my media center computer, runs Lion pretty well for being an older machine. I don't know if it can officially support Mountain Lion, my guess is that it won't, but I probably won't be upgrading anyway because of the use that I have for it.

stewacide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
I have a 2007 white Macbook that runs Lion very well. Hard to justify a new MBA or whatever when it won't be any faster. I'll decide when ML comes out if I want to upgrade to another Mac, but I might just put Linux on this computer in protest and drop Apple completely (my htpc already runs Ubuntu and I love it, and it didn't cost me a thing!)

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Manage to install it on old Intel Macs (white 07)

I manage to install it on both my Mac Pro 1,1 and MacBook White 2,1.. The Mac Pro works flawlessly.. But somehow the Intel GMA 950 was not recognized on the White, rendering it completely unusable.. LaunchD is taking 80% of the preformace on the white. heres some pics to prove:
IMG_0399%255B1%255D.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

Well.. apple is just trying to make you buy a new Mac.. I bypassed the EFI64bit thing xD.. :D

UPDATE: Sound doesn't work on the white as well!!

Last edited:

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
I manage to install it on both my Mac Pro 1,1 and MacBook White 2,1.. The Mac Pro works flawlessly.. But somehow the Intel GMA 950 was not recognized on the White, rendering it completely unusable.. LaunchD is taking 80% of the preformace on the white. heres some pics to prove: Image

Well.. apple is just trying to make you buy a new Mac.. I bypassed the EFI64bit thing xD.. :D

UPDATE: Sound doesn't working on the white as well!!

How do you hacked the kernel to work on Mac pro 1.1?

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
How do you hacked the kernel to work on Mac pro 1.1?

Just use the guide i posted on my thread, that guide is for MacBook white, just change some steps like instead of adding MacBook2,1 above MacBook6,1 add MacPro1,1 above MacPro4,1 the IntelGMA950 kext installation part is not required on the Mac Pro provided you are not using the 7300GT or HD2600 graphics.. Minimum MUST be GT210!

Pics to prove MacPro1,1 works =)
IMG_0413%255B1%255D.JPG

This MP1,1 has upgraded clovertown processor woth HD6870 pc unflashed card :)

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This MP1,1 has upgraded clovertown processor woth HD6870 pc unflashed card :)

I'm starting to wonder if Apple deprecated the older machines simply because they wanted to stop having to port older video drivers.

The fact that the 7300GT and X1600 don't work would explain this nicely.

Heh, I still have a 7300GT in a drawer. That card was pathetically slow even in 2006; I think I only used it for a few weeks before upgrading to an X1600 (and eventually a 3870). It's only useful as a spare, pretty much. :)

jhnnyklry9394

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2010
I've been saving up for a new 15" MacBook Pro to replace my Black MacBook for a little while now so I'm all set for the upgrade.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I'm running with a Macbook Pro 2,2 and will be hacking the hell out of ML to get it to run. With iCloud/Lion, the biggest feature I wanted was seamless Pages editing from my desktop, notebook, iPad, and iPhone. Now it looks like I'll have to have ML to actually make good on that hope, and with my notebook out of the equation, its no longer appealing to me. So, I'll take what I've learned from my Hackintosh and run with it. Something I find a little more than funny is that by obsoleting all these models, Apple has inadvertently pushed more users into a space where they become comfortable hacking kexts, kernels, and the EFI, furthering the OSx86 movement.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I would have been affected if my original macbook was still functional - it just recently had screen issues and needed a replacement and I just got a 2011 MacBook Pro that will perfectly support ML (which I plan on installing shortly after it’s released. Might need to get more RAM but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. I’m not worried nor am I upset about the timing of the OS announcement. I needed to get it when I bought it.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I'm running with a Macbook Pro 2,2 and will be hacking the hell out of ML to get it to run. With iCloud/Lion, the biggest feature I wanted was seamless Pages editing from my desktop, notebook, iPad, and iPhone. Now it looks like I'll have to have ML to actually make good on that hope, and with my notebook out of the equation, its no longer appealing to me. So, I'll take what I've learned from my Hackintosh and run with it. Something I find a little more than funny is that by obsoleting all these models, Apple has inadvertently pushed more users into a space where they become comfortable hacking kexts, kernels, and the EFI, furthering the OSx86 movement.

It's funny you mentioned that, a friend of mine brought by an older looking Dell notebook running Lion almost perfectly. The drawback was he could not get OpenGL working properly other than that, it actually ran rather well. I remember the early OS X86 craze with early Tiger builds.

I managed to get my old Pentium 4HT Gateway notebook working very well but could not get audio as Gateway used an odd sound solution. What was rather surprising was getting much older PC hardware working including the old Intel 855 GME video chipset working. Other hardware in my old Gateway just by happenstance was used in the MacBook 1,1 (wireless, Bluetooth, FireWire, and Ethernet worked right away, the only hurdles were native .kexts for the older 855 Intel video and my audio never worked. Rosetta BTW, screamed on the Pentium 4 HT processor running at 2.8Ghz (supporting emulated features of a G3 processor at the time when showing hardware info in Photoshop 7 but a speed that a G3 would never see).

It was a fun project to try out but being so early for Intel in the wild really limited it's usefulness and I was forced to use Windows until I bought a newer Mac. :apple:

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
It's funny you mentioned that, a friend of mine brought by an older looking Dell notebook running Lion almost perfectly. The drawback was he could not get OpenGL working properly other than that, it actually ran rather well. I remember the early OS X86 craze with early Tiger builds.

I managed to get my old Pentium 4HT Gateway notebook working very well but could not get audio as Gateway used an odd sound solution. What was rather surprising was getting much older PC hardware working including the old Intel 855 GME video chipset working. Other hardware in my old Gateway just by happenstance was used in the MacBook 1,1 (wireless, Bluetooth, FireWire, and Ethernet worked right away, the only hurdles were native .kexts for the older 855 Intel video and my audio never worked. Rosetta BTW, screamed on the Pentium 4 HT processor running at 2.8Ghz (supporting emulated features of a G3 processor at the time when showing hardware info in Photoshop 7 but a speed that a G3 would never see).

It was a fun project to try out but being so early for Intel in the wild really limited it's usefulness and I was forced to use Windows until I bought a newer Mac. :apple:

The whole scene now is much more matured, to the point where I can safely say a hackintosh i5 is my main setup, with a performance-per-dollar ratio that blows any mac out of the water. Sure I miss the elegance and beauty of the hardware, but on my college kid budget it was the best solution for me at the time, and it only fuels my desire to get a MBA once my student debt is in a better position. Hopefully all of the work from the community can give a stay of execution to many of the older Macs with ML, my X1600-toting Macbook Pro included.

linkboy

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
Thanks for your reply. May I ask what you base your assessment on?

I have a 2.2ghz MBP with the Core2Duo in it (the last before the Unibody MBP's came out).

I've currently got Mountain Lion on it and its running great.

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
Got DP2 running on my upgraded Mac Pro 1,1 (1,2 firmware update, E5345 CPUs)
Had to use Chameleon to emulate EFI64 and boot it, but runs pretty well.
jabbamac.jpg

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
I did not wait till I was going to be affected by anything - once I discovered the built in obsolescence of OS X and the software running on it I switched back to Windows 7. I might stick with the hardware since in the PC world there is no similar small form factor computer with the same low background noise as a Mac mini but Windows 7 it is for me for the time being.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I am confused as to whether my Macbook Pro will be able to run ML. I have the last MBP released before the macbook went unibody. (Macbook Pro 4.1, 2.5 GHz Core Duo 2, mid 2008).
Although according to system profiler I am not running a 64-bit kernel, I do have the Nvidia 8600M chip which I read somewhere means I would be able to run ML.

Can anyone confirm this? :confused:There doesn't seem to be definitive answer anywhere. :confused:

Perhaps ML will run until the defective 8600M dies on you and you can't use it at all.

Cheers,

50voltphantom

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011
So far, my 2008 iMac still appears to be supported. Mountain Lion would be the 4th OS to run on this machine. Not too bad.......

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
I'm running an old Mac mini with a GMA 950 that I use as a server. I would really like to be able to have ML Server loaded on it, but if not, no big loss. My Main machine will be supported, though.

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
My ][e can't run this?!?! I'M OUTRAGED!

Not to single out Gemütlichkeit, as I'm not sure if his sarcasm is real or not, but I've seen this sort of (serious) mocker come from a lot of people lately. My complaint isn't that my old hardware can't run OS X 10.6, my complaint is that I purchased my Mac Pro 1,1 SPECIFICALLY because Apple advertised it as 64 bit, and I wanted something that would be compatible in the future when 64 bit was mainstream. It is capable of running any 64 bit app, AND Windows 64 bit, the only reason 10.8 won't run is because Apple hamstrung it with a lousy EFI.

Also, the argument of "oh well its 6 years old, blah blah blah doesn't cut it. With a SSD, 10 gigs of ram and 2GB Radeon HD 6870 it can run circles around any iMac or Mac Mini that is "supported".

Bottom line, APPLE LIED TO ME about what I was spending $3k on. :(

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Not to single out Gemütlichkeit, as I'm not sure if his sarcasm is real or not, but I've seen this sort of (serious) mocker come from a lot of people lately. My complaint isn't that my old hardware can't run OS X 10.6, my complaint is that I purchased my Mac Pro 1,1 SPECIFICALLY because Apple advertised it as 64 bit, and I wanted something that would be compatible in the future when 64 bit was mainstream. It is capable of running any 64 bit app, AND Windows 64 bit, the only reason 10.8 won't run is because Apple hamstrung it with a lousy EFI.

Also, the argument of "oh well its 6 years old, blah blah blah doesn't cut it. With a SSD, 10 gigs of ram and 2GB Radeon HD 6870 it can run circles around any iMac or Mac Mini that is "supported".

Bottom line, APPLE LIED TO ME about what I was spending $3k on. :(
Apple didn't promise you anything and what you did was just assume. Apple is running a business, I know going in that one day my hardware don't run the latest software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.