Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lukeit

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Shanghai, China
ML installation

I have downloaded ML but it is still "sitting" in the application folder waiting for tonight... One question though about installation process... is there an option to upgrade from 10.7 or a clean installation over Lion is the only way possible?

I'm shivering to the thought of having to reinstall ALL my applications, and passwords, and preferences ...

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Anyone else notice the change in the text rendering in 10.8 when compared to 10.7?

Some texts (in various apps) appear "faint". Like they changed the aliasing method?

http://cl.ly/1G0b1P3x2C202I21193G

http://cl.ly/0i3Q0O3i2R1E2u3q0D0s

Actually this is a good sign. Traditionally, Mac OS X has rendered fonts too thick and bold compared to other platforms.

As a web designer, when we mockup websites in Photoshop with custom fonts, they look great. But when you finally build them and load them in Safari, the fonts all look like you have set them to bold, even when they are not. Perhaps this will fix a much-complained-about font rendering issue on Mac.

hidea

macrumors regular
May 10, 2006
Actually this is a good sign. Traditionally, Mac OS X has rendered fonts too thick and bold compared to other platforms.

As a web designer, when we mockup websites in Photoshop with custom fonts, they look great. But when you finally build them and load them in Safari, the fonts all look like you have set them to bold, even when they are not. Perhaps this will fix a much-complained-about font rendering issue on Mac.

That's got more to do with Photoshop's way of aliasing texts, though. I did a bit of digging around, it's a shift in CALayers.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Is the searching in Launchpad initiated by just typing? Or do you need to move your cursor to the search field and click it before you type?

I know I've said several times today about the ability to move devices (or shared) to the top of the finder sidebar (finally!)

Also searching within Launchpad, instant filtering.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Is the searching in Launchpad initiated by just typing? Or do you need to move your cursor to the search field and click it before you type?

Just type away and it starts filtering, no need to click anywhere :)

Really Love the 2 finger slide for the notification centre. Although I am not sure how useful notification centre will actually be on a Laptop

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Finder still has the grey icons.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-17 at 08.13.22.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-17 at 08.13.22.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,031

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain

It's a browser thing, you can fix it with CSS3. If you think your custom fonts looks fatty in Safari...try Firefox, they are megabold

----------

Also, Firewall is OFF by default after installation . . . that's not great Apple.

It's been always like that

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
I've not seen this mentioned anywhere else but there's a new (to me) icon in the System Preferences pane called Ink that has something to do with hand writing recognition. Also, it's a 32-bit preference pane so requires a restart of System Preferences when selected.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-17 at 08.23.59.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-17 at 08.23.59.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 932
  • Screen Shot 2012-02-17 at 08.24.34.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-17 at 08.24.34.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 642

shmonkus

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
United Kingdom
Mountain Lion looks awesome, however I have 2 burning questions:

1. Will it make the tea, and do the dishes?

2. More importantly, will it incorporate better TRIM support for 3rd party SSD's without resorting to using 3rd party enabler apps?

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
I've not seen this mentioned anywhere else but there's a new (to me) icon in the System Preferences pane called Ink that has something to do with hand writing recognition.

You probably have or had a tablet connected to your computer?

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I've not seen this mentioned anywhere else but there's a new (to me) icon in the System Preferences pane called Ink that has something to do with hand writing recognition. Also, it's a 32-bit preference pane so requires a restart of System Preferences when selected.

I believe thats a third part app, I used to have it installed on Lion.

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Still no TRIM support for third party drives. I was hoping they would sneak that in.

simonthevillain

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
horizontal scrolling

Can anyone tell me if it is still possible to scroll horizontally with two fingers although the two finger swipe gesture seems to be reserved for the Notification Center?
Is it possible to disable the gesture for the Notification Center?

adamtheturtle

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
Can anyone tell me if it is still possible to scroll horizontally with two fingers although the two finger swipe gesture seems to be reserved for the Notification Center?

I'm not sure about disabling the gesture but Notification Center is only opened when you swipe from the right edge, something you're unlikely to do when horizontal scrolling.

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007

Already been answered several times.

Here's a fun one: The checkbox for "Reopen windows when logging back in" now remembers your selection. Uncheck it once and it stays off forever.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-17 at 3.53.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-17 at 3.53.26 AM.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 330

Cmd-the-World

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Strange, this was a fresh install of ML in a Parallels VM . . .

It is not a third party app it is a systems preference that, as far as I can remember, has been present in Snow Leopard and definitely in Lion (and I think earlier as well). It only shows up when you connect a graphics tablet.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
This is now probably my favourite small thing: You can send any file to IOS or OS X with Messages! :D

Attachments

• screenshot_53.png
    screenshot_53.png
    185 KB · Views: 933
  • IMG_0032.PNG
    IMG_0032.PNG
    284.3 KB · Views: 930

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Mountain Lion looks awesome, however I have 2 burning questions:

1. Will it make the tea, and do the dishes?

2. More importantly, will it incorporate better TRIM support for 3rd party SSD's without resorting to using 3rd party enabler apps?

Still exclusive to Apple SSDs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.