Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

echo44

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
So far I have narrowed it down to
Yahoo
In motion
blue host
MacHighway
any advice if cost is not an option?
Seems like it is very hard to find any reviews on the
web that aren't on the take?

echo44

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
I looked at their site they don't seem to
have great tools for a rookie to build a web site?
Anyone try Yahoo?

zepfhyr

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009
Dreamhost FTW

I have been extremely happy with my hosting @ dreamhost.

Agreed. I have been using them for the last several years and love them. As far as I know, they're still giving new sign-ups unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage plans for $8.95/mo (I believe that requires a two- or three-year commitment, though. I pay $120/year).

You can currently get a 2-week free trial here.

----------

Oh, and if cost is not an option, then Dreamhost has a number of excellent features that other hosts don't have. Primarily, a number one-click installs of some of the most popular software and free configuration with Google Apps.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I wouldn't consider myself advanced, nor a rookie, but I use AngryHosting. They have some scripts you can run for auto installing joomla, wordpress, other CMSs, etc.

If your site is just a personal site with limited viewers or anything of that sort, hosting is super cheap. Starts at $1/month for 'simplistic hosting', no commitment. 1GB storage, 10GB transfer, and hosts 1 domain.

I personally go with 'basic hosting', only because I need an SQL database. It's $2.50/month and comes with 2.5GB storage, 25GB transfer, hosts 2 domains, etc. A lot more than I need, but yeah... needed the SQL database.

So if you want to test the waters for a month, $1 isn't a bad deal. I've heard good things about Dreamhost though. I used to use Hostgator, but that was too expensive for my needs (definitely a lot of features though)

btdpi007

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
North Carolina
+1 for Dreamhost. I've really enjoyed my experiences with them. I don't know if whether other host do this as well, but I really, really like how Dreamhost is really forthcoming regarding any issues (you can subscribe to rss, twitter, look at their site).

I've set-up a site and maintained through SFTP and through Wordpress and every easy. Also, the integration with Google Apps was seamless. Thumbs up from me.

rockden

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2012
i have four year experience hostgator hosting company and my 100 website hosted in this company i am not doing marketing these company but i really llike these plain and prove the best deal i think yahoo hosting company much batter and i make a plain to creat a new website an taking yahoo hosting company

theia

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
I looked at their site they don't seem to
have great tools for a rookie to build a web site?
Anyone try Yahoo?

I haven't tried or known anyone who host their site in Yahoo. Majority of my colleagues host their site in Blue Host and Host Gator.

henrydoown

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2012
Laguna Hills, CA 92653
Now most business or developer to very important part of web hosting. Web hosting is very competitive industry. You can find very cheap hosting rate as low price available in market.

MacOverWin

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
You will have to factor in many things in finding a "the best web hosting" company.

First off, is your website dependent on uptime? That is, is this a personal or business website?

That will help you in making a more in tuned decision. If it is a business website serving transactions etc, I would focus on a host that has a good history on what they advertise (99.9% uptime).

Then, as always, support and customer service must be paramount.

Another option, if you are technical enough, is hosting your own website. I currently host a few sites on mac minis and use a provider to host it in their Data Center.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
So far I have narrowed it down to
Yahoo
In motion
blue host
MacHighway
any advice if cost is not an option?
Seems like it is very hard to find any reviews on the
web that aren't on the take?

I've had hosting since 1996', had several hosts over the years.
RackSpace is by far the best. Not even close, but you pay for it.

MacOverWin

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
I've had hosting since 1996', had several hosts over the years.
RackSpace is by far the best. Not even close, but you pay for it.

I have been using Clarity Web Hosting for years.

All comes down to what you need it for. I cannot afford to be down, otherwise it will be bread and water for dinner :)

Last edited:

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I host my own sites with my home server, but prior to that I used GoDaddy. I am a huge fan of Bob Parsons though, so I will have to admit I am bias.

3xSolution

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2012
Safari

Is anyone having trouble with Safari and web hosting. Intuit told me I needed to switch to Firefox or Internet Explorer. Can Mac users even use IE? What web host works with safari? What are wordpress?

Sammi :)

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2011
Sheffield, UK
It depends on what you need it for. Whether you're hosting a small site of your own or if you're hosting lots of sites for other people or large ones.

I'm a web designer and I like to host my website and some websites I've made for friends or small sites for clients on Webfaction. They've been nothing but brilliant and I've been with them for a year now. Previously I used In Motion which weren't bad but being in the UK, sometimes my websites were slow because the data centres were in the US on the East Coast.

PodPacker

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006
HostRocket

I love these guys! Reliable! Reliable! Reliable! (I could be on stage dancing and clapping out of breath like a certain CEO).

24-hours-a-day-7-days-a-week customer service without waiting hours to speak with a human being.

Dirt cheap also.

Last edited:

oldmanwalking

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2012
I host my own sites with my home server, but prior to that I used GoDaddy. I am a huge fan of Bob Parsons though, so I will have to admit I am bias.

I don't know Bob Parsons. From what I've read, I don't have any interest in that changing. But. godaddy.com provides by far the best hosting service I've used. GD enables nearly effortless addition of CMS software - Joomla, Drupal, WordPress, etc. Their tech service is worth waiting for. Friendly, informed, and effective. There are so many possibilities, that it makes it worth a visit to check the site.

There could be a smoother user interface, but it continues to improve almost weekly.

Wingscofounder

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2005
NY
I use Squarespace.com as a platform to build and to host. Came highly recommended by a variety of podcasters, including Leo Laporte. The prices are very reasonable. Go check out their tutorials. You can even try them out for free.
FYI, we pay them, so no kickbacks for us :D

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Yeah I hosted with them before. They are very good, and there are always coupon code available. The only thing I don't like about them is they call a lot to try to get you to set things up (hosting, email, etc...) You have to go into your account and request they don't call you.

I don't know Bob Parsons. From what I've read, I don't have any interest in that changing. But. godaddy.com provides by far the best hosting service I've used. GD enables nearly effortless addition of CMS software - Joomla, Drupal, WordPress, etc. Their tech service is worth waiting for. Friendly, informed, and effective. There are so many possibilities, that it makes it worth a visit to check the site.

There could be a smoother user interface, but it continues to improve almost weekly.

PodPacker

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006
GoDaddy

GoDaddy is the BP of web hosting.

No one remembers what BP did to the ocean and everyone seems to have forgotten that GoDaddy was ready to roll over on everyone who used their hosting services when SOPA and PIPA threatened our cyber liberties. You don't think they will do it again? Dumb!

oldmanwalking

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2012
GoDaddy is the BP of web hosting.

No one remembers what BP did to the ocean and everyone seems to have forgotten that GoDaddy was ready to roll over on everyone who used their hosting services when SOPA and PIPA threatened our cyber liberties. You don't think they will do it again? Dumb!

The question was about hosting, not about politics, ethics, or morality. GoDaddy is a great site for hosting. There were no questions about oil spills. Want the environment clean? Walk; don't ride. Or you could call those who disagree with you, "dumb".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.