Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

messages-1.jpg

Consomac has discovered that the OS X Lion Messages Beta that was released yesterday will not be a permanent feature for Lion users. Messages is the new iMessage-compatible version of iChat that will be included in OS X Mountain Lion. Apple also released a public beta version for OS X Lion users to try the app in the meanwhile.

Based on the text strings found in the App's resources, it has been revealed that Messages will no longer be available for Lion users once the beta expires. Instead, Apple tells users to visit the App Store to purchase OS X Mountain Lion to continue to use Messages:
Thank you for participating in the Messages Beta program. With the inclusion of Messages in OS X Mountain Lion, the Messages Beta program has ended.

To continue using Messages, please visit the Mac App Store and purchase OS X Mountain Lion.
OS X Mountain Lion will be a paid update and is expected to be released in late summer.

Article Link: After Beta, Messages Will Be Exclusive to OS X Mountain Lion

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Clever marketing. Get people using the beta, get people to upgrade to ML. Though I also suspect the folks who are reading this and downloading a beta would be upgrading to ML anyway...

Cancelled
Jan 13, 2004
A stupid, artificial bad move from Apple. Or at least make iChat able to send the iMessages, even if you cannot use whatever the latest whizzy feature is.

Damn you Apple. I love your products but unbelievable greed excretes form every pore of you. If it isn't bad enough that my 2007 blackbook won't run Mountain Lion you now are denying your faithful customers useful features. Listen i can't afford a nice shiny new Mac to have this feature, so how about you cut the little guy some slack and make this available to all. :mad:

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
This is only surprising to Apple loyalists who think Apple makes the grass grow.

Aniday

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Kinda sucks considering they replaced iChat. Will they have to push an update to Lion users to rip them off of an update? wtf

Bodypainter

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
This Is The side about Apple that i don't like at all. They are artificially limiting The User and know that this Is how they can Pressure him to Upgrade. it's incredible that such behaviour would lead to People hating Microsoft if they die that, but Apple Fans so Not speak up against it and 'swallow' this unfaithful Trick against Apples own customers.

Aniday

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
They're encouraging piracy with this, really. No computer savvy person would put up with this enough to pay over 15 bucks for this update.

String

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Some people who can use Lion but can't go up to ML, gma users, might be annoyed.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
We don't know all the details yet. I mean a string buried in the beta version doesn't mean its a done deal. I'll reserve judgement until we know for sure.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Damn you Apple. I love your products but unbelievable greed excretes form every pore of you. If it isn't bad enough that my 2007 blackbook won't run Mountain Lion you now are denying your faithful customers useful features. Listen i can't afford a nice shiny new Mac to have this feature, so how about you cut the little guy some slack and make this available to all. :mad:

I don't know what you expected, your Macbook is 5 freaking years old, of course it can't get every shiny new OS, jeez. You can still use Snow Leopard or Lion on it, so what is the problem? I nevery understand why people are so obsessed with getting the newest software, but don't want to pay for it or upgrade their hardware. Maybe Apple knows, that Messages can't be integrated without problems in Lion, that's why it will be ML exclusive.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Not the smartest move. The "closed garden" approach may work for a lot of things, but not for messaging where you want to be able to message all your friends/family/colleagues, not just those who are Mac users who have upgraded to Mountain Lion.

lamboman

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
What do you expect? It was a feature marketed with Mountain Lion, if it was to be released for older operating systems, Apple would have done so through the App Store, or at least made it clear that this would be the case.

Slogan

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

To be honest, this isn't that surprising. Personally there's no real compelling reason to upgrade to ML (yet), so they have to have 'something', right?.

jehrler

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003

I agree this is a pretty classless move if, in fact, they keep those of us with Core 2 Duo machines with integrated graphics locked out of ML.

Obviously it can work see the public beta and, just as obviously, this is not a graphics intensive app. Heck, they have a version of Messages that runs on an iPhone!

I really, really hope they rethink this and at least offer it as a .99 app on the App Store.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
This looks like a cheap way to get people to buy ML. I wish they waited and released some real must have features, not a load of iOS baubles.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Just uninstalled the beta from my Mac. Didn't like it to begin with, but no point keeping it as it'll expire.

If ML is going to cost money (which it seems that it will) I certainly will be sticking to Lion. There's not a single feature that I like of ML.

Wish they put out a real OS update. Nothing big since 10.5 IMO.

10.5 - revolutionary
10.6 - fix 10.5 issues
10.7 - OK, but no "wow" factor. Launchpad as another way to access apps? Well .. okay.
10.8 - 10 new changes to Lion (so far?) Not going to pay $30 for that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.