Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
I have an iPad 1 that I've had since just after launch. I've been noticing lately that apps have been crashing more and more frequently (and this is across the board...native apps as well as 3rd party apps). In the past 20 minutes the app store has crashed twice, safari once, and ESPN The Magazine app once.

Are other folks out there experiencing similar problems?

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I've actually experienced very few crashes. I do notice bigger apps like Netflix crash quite often, and the iPod app crashed when I was doing a homesharing, but all in all, very few crashes.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I'm with you. I've noticed a more frequent crash episodes than in all the months I've had the iPad2. I've been vigilant about closing background apps and Safari tabs, but that only slows it down. i checked the data in Settings and see there are repeated instances of low memory and crash reports. Can't figure out why. Deleted a bunch of apps - that seemed to help for a while. But still, my iPad suddenly seems unstable. I don't understand it.

phiberglass

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
iPad 1 here. Crashes all the time. Safari is the biggest culprit. Opening multiple tabs consecutively causes this almost 100% of the time. Otherwise it's random in apps, gets annoying though.

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I have original iPad since release day. Probably more use than most people (average of over 6 hours a day for two years). Safari crashes constantly now and other apps crash occasionally. Can't wait for iPad 3

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I have an iPad 1 that I've had since just after launch. I've been noticing lately that apps have been crashing more and more frequently (and this is across the board...native apps as well as 3rd party apps). In the past 20 minutes the app store has crashed twice, safari once, and ESPN The Magazine app once.

Safari crashes a lot on my ipad 1

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I have the ipad2 and I've noticed my apps have been crashing also but more so on my iphone4 actually! I. Have Verizon which is pretty reliable so I have no idea what's going on.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I also see Safari and other browsers crash a lot on my iPad 1. Beyond that I don't see too many crashes.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Everyday, all day, Safari and some of my other apps... Since iOS 5 update. :(

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Safari crashes quite often on me. Turning off bookmarks helps, but still crashes daily.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
I always notice this when a new iOS comes out...

iOS 4 made my 3rd gen iPod run like crap, and iOS 5 made it worse. iOS 5 did the same thing on my 4th gen iPod touch, so I can only assume the same thing happened to the original iPad - which was insanely fast when launched.

My iPad 2 blitzed iOS 4, and blitzes iOS 5 too - I hope this doesn't change for ios 6, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
iPad 2 here and I can not remember the last time mine crashed. I am not positive but I do not think it has ever crashed. I can't remember the last time I shut it off and rebooted!

I use mine on the Internet for 2-3 hours 7 days a week

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
iPad 1 crashed more often compared to iPad 2; if you get access to the crash logs I assume most of them are because of low memory. One of the main reason why I upgraded to iPad 2.

Keep memory footprint low; not too many apps in background might help

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut

Yes. To the point that I am becoming less inclined to ever buy a new one. It's very frustrating, especially as the local Genius Bar guy tried to sell me some bullcrap about memory usage and multi-tasking.

iOS 6 better fix it. Come to that, if they lock me out of iOS 6 because I have a first-gen iPad, I'll be looking at non-Apple alternatives. This isn't a knee-jerk reaction or hating. It's the only sensible step given how much the utility of my iPad is diminished by this behavior.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
No, on an iPad 2. But I don't use Safari. Maybe try switching to another browser for a few days and see if it stops?

stordoff

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2009
iPad1. Crashes all the time.
I have notifications all off and no programs open but safari- still crashes.
100% since ios5. Never happened on 4.

Got to be memory leaks/hogs of some sort.

Certainly looks like low memory is the issue (for me at least)
8bn27.jpg

qtaran111

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Yep, same. iPad 1, Safari crashes all the time. I think other apps crash too but Safari more noticeable as its the app I use most often.

I wonder if its worth trying a Reset/Restore?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.