Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7583267/hall-fame-catcher-gary-carter-dies-age-57
Gary Carter, the Hall of Fame catcher whose single for the New York Mets in the 1986 World Series touched off one of the most improbable rallies in postseason history, died Thursday. He was 57.

Carter was diagnosed with four brain tumors last May, two weeks after finishing his second season as coach at Palm Beach Atlantic University. In recent months, the family hoped that, with chemotherapy and other treatments, the tumors were in check. But in January, the family revealed that doctors found several new tumors on Carter's brain.

"I am deeply saddened to tell you all that my precious dad went to be with Jesus today at 4:10 p.m. This is the most difficult thing I have ever had to write in my entire life but I wanted you all to know," Carter's daughter, Kimmy Bloemers, wrote on the family website.

"He is in heaven and has reunited with his mom and dad. I believe with all my heart that dad had a STANDING OVATION as he walked through the gates of heaven to be with Jesus," Bloemers wrote.

Carter made a last public appearance at the beginning of February when Palm Beach Atlantic opened its season. Mets spokesman Jay Horwitz said Carter died at a hospice in the West Palm Beach, Fla., area.

The effervescent Carter, nicknamed "Kid," was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2003 after retiring in 1992. The 11-time All Star finished his 19-year career with a .262 average, 324 home runs and 1,225 RBIs.

"Driven by a remarkable enthusiasm for the game, Gary Carter became one of the elite catchers of all-time," commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement. "'The Kid' was an 11-time All-Star and a durable, consistent slugger for the Montreal Expos and the New York Mets, and he ranks among the most beloved players in the history of both of those franchises. Like all baseball fans, I will always remember his leadership for the '86 Mets and his pivotal role in one of the greatest World Series ever played."

Carter played nearly two decades with the Mets, Montreal, San Francisco and the Los Angeles Dodgers. He led the Expos to their only playoff berth and was the first player enshrined in Cooperstown wearing the Expos logo.

"When you think of the great baseball field generals, you think Gary Carter," Hall of Fame president Jeff Idelson said in a statement. "He ran the game from behind the plate with strong leadership and passion. The Kid's contribution to our national pastime is big, but his heart was even bigger. We'll always remember his caring way, ever-present smile and strong devotion to family, community and the Baseball Hall of Fame."

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Only a Giant for a single season, but by far my favorite catcher in the 1980s. Class player, class guy, gone way too soon.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Montreal Canadiens tribute to Gary Carter

I was a huge baseball fan when I was a kid. Played for years. LOVED the game. Actually had a gf break up with me b/c she said I talked about baseball too much lol

Carter was a class act, I always remembered him smiling. I remember watching the Dodgers - Expos in 81' (?) , sitting by myself, watching the game on an ol' black and white TV while all my friends were outside playing then crying when Rick Monday won the game :(

This video doesn't show it, but the Habs players all wore Canadiens jerseys with Carter's #8 on it then auctioned the jerseys off later for the Gary Carter Kids Foundation.

The first part is in French, but the English is after.

Though you folks would appreciate it:

http://www.businessinsider.com/watc...-canadiens-paid-tribute-to-gary-carter-2012-2

btw, I forgot to mention that I'm more of a closet fan now. Ironicially, it was the big strike where the Expos were leading the season and it was cancelled, that turned me off. In my mind, that ruined a good part of baseball what with the big idiotic contracts and free agency. Better for players, but I feel the game is now more of who can spend more rather than a GM and its scouting team doing the right job enough. I know it doesn't always work out that way, but disappointing.

I do, however, have an annual fall tradition where we end up watching most of the world series while moose hunting in a remote hunting cabin with satellite. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.