Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m4rk0

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
guys, need some help please.

i was messing with a friend's jailbroken iPhone, i needed it in dfu mode to restore it but i probably did something wrong because phone is stuck with a blank screen and nothing can make iTunes recognize it.

it's an unlocked iPhone 4 running a jb 5.0.0 iOS.

i really can't get it to boot no matter what.
it doesn't even show under usb devices currently connected.

i left it connected to the wall charger -i read somewhere that while in dfu mode, phone isn't really charged, but someone said it helped somehow- without any success.

i'd prefer not to have apple service it because i guess they can boot it and see it has been jb.

thanks.

m4rk0

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
i tried, but neither of them can see the iPhone; tiny umbrella's buttons are grayed out.

m4rk0

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
can anyone chime in please? this iPhone is (apparently) dead

m4rk0

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
yes, i did try another computer (and another cable as well).

tiny umbrella doesn't show anything: no logs, no buttons enabled.
iTunes doesn't show any "iPhone found in dfu/recovery mode".
system information doesn't show any usb device connected to usb ports.

i really doubt i am doing something wrong here, i tried every possible combination..

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
With USB connected did you try to put the phone in DFU again?

Easiest way is holding power and home togeteher, count to 10 and release power, while holding home for another 7 seconds, sometimes the phone gets into a semi-off/DFU state. Looks like its completely dead, leave plugged in USB for 10 min before doing the above.

m4rk0

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
yes, i tried it, but i will try once again.

which application should i have running while trying to put in dfu mode again? iTunes, tiny umbrella, fix recovery?

btw, i tried using "fix recovery" from http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/ , after launch terminal.app outputs:
Code:
i7:~ m_admin$ /Users/m_admin/Desktop/fixrecovery-osx/fixrecovery43 ; exit;
Initializing libpois0n
[b]No matching processes belonging to you were found[/b]
Waiting for device to enter DFU mode
Device must be in DFU mode to continue
[..]
i am not sure how fix recovery should be used, honestly.

lgreenberg

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Chester Springs, PA
Have you tried forcing it into recovery mode.

1. Power off.
2. Hold down home button.
3. With home button held down plug in cable, connected to computer, iTunes open.
4. Continue holding home button until connect to iTunes appears on screen of phone.

m4rk0

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Have you tried forcing it into recovery mode.

1. Power off.
2. Hold down home button.
3. With home button held down plug in cable, connected to computer, iTunes open.
4. Continue holding home button until connect to iTunes appears on screen of phone.

i just tried but nothing happens.
this thing is possessed :eek:

m4rk0

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
TriJetHero

in your opinion, how many chances are there that apple has some diagnostic tools which can connect via dock connector and find out device has been jb?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
If it is dead they wont see it.

If they can revive it they will see, worst thing that can happen is they refuse to replace.

But than again, if they can revive it you can restore it.

If still under warranty try to take it back to apple.

m4rk0

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
If it is dead they wont see it.

If they can revive it they will see, worst thing that can happen is they refuse to replace.

But than again, if they can revive it you can restore it.

If still under warranty try to take it back to apple.

yeah, that's what we did; we called apple, purchased an apple care and will get a replacement unit soon. :D

thank you for your help.

leighton182

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
need help

hello im new here but i could do with some help a while back my iphone 4 decided to randomly turn itself off while on charge after this it just showed a blank screen will not turn on ive tried redsnow tried the reset with the home and power button tried doing that backwards leaving it on charge the only thing it does do is go into dfu mode ive also taken the battery out and put it back in nothing but the other day it did show a pic of a battery with low battery then i tried to reset it and its stuck again in dfu mode or whatever it is blank screen if anyone could help that would be great.

dduttonnc

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Old thread but I guess this is an issue with the 4,4s and 5 line

1 month ago I put my 5s to charge at 50%. Left it alone for 30mins TOPS.

I came back. Black screen. Nothing worked. Nothing helped. iTunes could see it but it was in DFU. But nothing. Nothing would kick it out. Any button combo just rebooted it back to DFU with the screen black

If I restored it, the process would start, I'd get an apple logo with a progress line. Then error 40 would stop it. Tried it on 2 windows and 1 Mac with 4 USB cables. Apple said this a known issue on any phone from 4-5s regardless of iOS. That it's a HW malfunction ... Usually I'm the USB port

Even letting the phone drain out of power and turning off did not work. Plugged it in and nothing. 5 mins later, iTunes saw it in DFU. Still black screen

I think anytime, anyone gets a black screen (and button reset combos fail) and iTunes won't see it.. Or it can't be restored , it's a HW failure.

chenman

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2016
Yup, same thing just happened to my ip6+ the other day. Only almost 2yrs old. Battery drained completely, then went to recharge it and no boot? held down power and home button and got it to go dfu with iTunes. tried restoring, on multiple mbp's and different usb cables, get error message 4005. This is pretty lame! Apple devices are really going to *****. they don't work like they used to when Steve Jobs was running the ship!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.