Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Original Posts Deleted. Reason: To add space for MLPostFactor Explanation.

Right, I take the advantage of this empty space to explain how MLPostFactor works.

I will try my best to explain it here.
Before i get very technical, lets do a basic overview of what "Mountain Lion" is.

What is Mountain Lion. What makes it so different comparing to Lion?
Alright, Mountain Lion is the 8th version of OS10. What makes it so different comparing to Lion? Before i get to that, let me explain what "Kexts" is. Kexts is Kernel Extensions in short, it basically like Drivers on Windows. There are 2 versions of kexts. 1 is 32-bit the other is 64-bit. Lion uses mostly 32-bit kexts where as Mountain Lion uses mostly 64-bit kexts.

32-bit kexts vs 64-bit kexts

I took some time to create these 2 charts/pictures.
Picture explains everything.

Kernel Architecture
Basically explains how the kernel works.
Kernel_Architecture.png

Direct Link to view it larger -> http://postimg.org/image/vcdw5zvhz/

OS Architecture.
Lion versus Mountain Lion versus MLPostFactor.
OS_Architecture.png

Direct Link to view it larger ->http://postimg.org/image/tnh0j2qaf/
Obviously, this is a simplified version.. REALLY REALLY simplified for newbies.

You need to understand the above before you understand what im trying to explain next.

So I understand now the "hacked" Mountain Lion on my unsupported Mac is running 32-bit mode. Can i ask what has been replaced? What we're the "hacked" files?

- Umm.. Honestly, i don't know where to start. Talk about extensions/kexts, they are either from 10.7.5 or Mountain Lion DP1. The other things that are replaced/modified are: PlatformSupport.plist, OpenGL.framework, OpenCL.framework, EFI, Mach_Kernel, mDNSResponder etc etc. I will post the full list when I'm free.

Will this work for Hackintosh?
- Frankly speaking, i don't know. Chances are it will, but not without modification. Maybe you should try it with Chameleon from Mountain Lion Developer Preview 1 or Lion.

What exactly is not working currently?
- iSight (low FPS, so deemed not working)
- NumLock LED stays on (NumLock key works, only the LED)
- Disk Utility won't repair permission (Fixed, coming in V0.3)
- Bonjour/Network Sharing does not work. (Fixed, coming in V0.3, in the mean time, a manual fix is available, see Post #1710)

Dock appeared to be transparent?
1. Open Terminal and type

Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock hide-mirror -bool yes
killall Dock

MLPostFactor V0.2.2 supports upgrade from existing systems!
Be advised, clean install is always recommended, you might encounter bugs with upgrades.

To upgrade from V0.1 to V0.2.2, simply follow the guide but skip step 4 and 5, straight to step 6

If you want to do combo update from 10.8.x to 10.8.3 follow the steps below:
1. Download the combo update but don't install.
2. Follow the guide above till step 2 (but select 10.8.3!! Very Important!).
3. Install the Combo Update, reboot into the "Install" partition important!!!
4. Go to Utilities, and select MLPostFactor. Once complete,
5. Reboot into 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
6. Enjoy!

Q&A For MLPostFactor! READ FIRST BEFORE YOU INSTALL
Read the BOLD one twice!

1. USB is optional. (Not required)

2. 4.XXGB Mountain Lion.app is REQUIRED to be in the Applications Folder.

3. PIRATED COPIES NOT SUPPORTED. Which means ISO, DMG, ZIP, etc!

3. Stuck at white screen? Boot into "Install" and repair permissions for ML.

4. Clean install is recommended is ALWAYS recommended! If you experience any issues using upgrades, do consider a clean install.

I will not reply to any PMs/tweet for those questions above. Im getting too much (way too much! and non stop email notification sent to my phone ) questions like the ones above!

Last edited:

stewacide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
What driver are the graphics using? A heretofor unknown 64bit Intel 950 driver? (put "kextstat" into the term)

----------

Unless 64bit drivers are released for the graphics the solution is probably to run ML with a 32bit kernel. Try hold down the "3" and "2" keys during startup.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
What driver are the graphics using? A heretofor unknown 64bit Intel 950 driver? (put "kextstat" into the term)

Yup.. its the Intel GMA 950. On my Mac Pro, Im using a AMD HD 5770. And that has no issues at all, The second card - Nvidia 7300GT was not recognized. The Mac Pro is the very first one that came out in 2006.. Mac Pro 1,1 with upgraded processors (8 core)

stewacide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
I suspect the 950 is just using some fall-back framebuffer driver with no hardware acceleration (hence terrible performance).

Unless you can get a 32bit kernel to boot (to use the 10.7.3 driver) it's probably hopeless (short of someone getting ahold of the driver source and compiling for 64bit). See if the "3" "2" trick works (should if ML is still shipping with a 32bit kernel included)

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I suspect the 950 is just using some fall-back framebuffer driver with no hardware acceleration (hence terrible performance).

Unless you can get a 32bit kernel to boot (to use the 10.7.3 driver) it's probably hopeless (short of someone getting ahold of the driver source and compiling for 64bit). See if the "3" "2" trick works (should if ML is still shipping with a 32bit kernel included)

No, that wont work, Mountain Lion simply doesnt have the required kext.. i scroll thru the kext list, the IntelGMAX3100.kext and IntelGMA950.kext, RadeonX1600.kext isnt there..

UPDATE: I tried kexts from 10.6.8.. The results, i get full acceleration on extrenal screen. Internal screen remains blank duh~

stewacide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Can it boot into 32bit mode tho? (on any hardware?)

If so then that + the kexts from Lion might work.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Can it boot into 32bit mode tho? (on any hardware?)

If so then that + the kexts from Lion might work.

How to tell if its booting into 32bit mode? Kext from snow leopard works but only external display.. Internal still either blank screen (when plug into ext) or framebuffer mode (when not connected) Lions kext will do nothing lol.. its rufusing it..

stewacide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
See screenshot. If it's booting in 32bit mode it should say 'no'.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-17 at 3.03.00 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 2012-02-17 at 3.03.00 PM.PNG
    103.6 KB · Views: 15,363

stewacide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Lack of 32 bit kext support is listed as a "known issue"

http://pastebin.com/EkUY1E5s

I can see why Apple would want to remove this support, to force 3rd parties to release 64bit drivers and hence not block the rollout of the 64bit kernel. The problem is that Apple won't do this itself! (how likely are 3rd parties? Expect a lot of your aftermarket hardware to not work with ML ever if this remains)

stewacide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Just to double-check it's telling the truth, if you open System Monitor and find kernel_task is the 'kind' Intel or Intel (64 bit)?

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Just to double-check it's telling the truth, if you open System Monitor and find kernel_task is the 'kind' Intel or Intel (64 bit)?

Well.. i System Monitor cant be opened now.. for some reason.. I think due to Launchd also.. Most of the system related tools/apps will quit immediately.. Like Spotlight search, System Preferences, activity monitor etc

IMG_0402%255B1%255D.JPG

Update: manage to get it open, it says Intel without 64.. that means its in 32bit mode :) See pics..

IMG_0404%255B1%255D.JPG

IMG_0405%255B1%255D.JPG

And it seems to run fine with 1GB of ram.. lmao lol.. haha

IMG_0406%255B1%255D.JPG

Last edited:

stewacide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Try "uname -a" in the terminal if that will come up (and if Terminal.app isn't working try ssh'ing into the machine).

edit -- Nevermind you got it open.

Seems then that you do have ML in 32 bit kernel mode: the only problem is for whatever reason 32bit kext loading isn't working (perhaps it was intentionally black-listed?). Don't know where you can take it from here for now, but it's good to know ML can load a 32bit kernel.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Try "uname -a" in the terminal if that will come up (and if Terminal.app isn't working try ssh'ing into the machine).

edit -- Nevermind you got it open.

Seems then that you do have ML in 32 bit kernel mode: the only problem is for whatever reason 32bit kext loading isn't working (perhaps it was intentionally black-listed?). Don't know where you can take it from here for now, but it's good to know ML can load a 32bit kernel.

Pics are up.. Yup.. confirm ML can load 32bit kernal, but for some reason, Lions kext doesnt work. The sound kext works, but the Intel GMA950 kext doesnt.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
http://www.hackint0sh.org/f180/80288.htm

It's pretty easy to 'force' a kext to load at boot. Try that with the Lion 950 kext.

p.s. good luck, if you get it working it'll probably be worth a headline at all the mac sites

DAMN! Got it working! Thx, unfortunately the trick you posted didnt work, but by forcing the kext to load in Single user mode (Cmd+S) and refresh the cache then continue the boot process works!!!

Pics will be up shortly.. =) anyway, should i post the installation method here?

Update: Pics to prove that graphics accelaration works. Launchpad is finally working xD!
IMG_0407%255B1%255D.JPG

Last edited:

stewacide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Yes please post the full instructions I'd like to try / I'm sure others would too.

Let's just cross our fingers Apple doesn't pull the 32bit kernel out of ML before it ships. Not sure if there are technical reasons that'd prevent them or not.

Guru101011

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
ummm i love you dude!!!!!!!!

Thank god! i was getting worried i wont be able to use the features i actually wanna use :)!!!

stewacide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
In essence the Mountain_Lion.dmg could be minimally modded to 1. remove the installer hardware checks (trivial) and 2. to include the missing drivers from Lion, and you should be able to install on a an 'unsupported' system like any other.

If this same technique works for other 'unsupported' systems I'm sure just such a modded installer will find it's way to the nether-regions of the internet to allow all Lion-compatible systems to install ML.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
ummm i love you dude!!!!!!!!

Thank god! i was getting worried i wont be able to use the features i actually wanna use :)!!!

Haha thx, spread the news so others can see n install ;)

----------

In essence the Mountain_Lion.dmg could be minimally modded to 1. remove the installer hardware checks (trivial) and 2. to include the missing drivers from Lion, and you should be able to install on a an 'unsupported' system like any other.

If this same technique works for other 'unsupported' systems I'm sure just such a modded installer will find it's way to the nether-regions of the internet to allow all Lion-compatible systems to install ML.

Im digging into the installer.. Modifying the platformsupport.plist in the installer does nothing, if you tried to boot the USB stick with the unsupported Mac, you still b greeted with the "no smoking sign without the cigarette" if you boot with "cmd+V" it will still say unsupported system. so yeah, for now, the only was is to use a supported system to install then migrate the HDD to the unsupported system.

stewacide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
I assume you need a modified OSInstall.mpkg to get the installer running. That's what people have needed in the past to get OSX on unsupported hardware anyway.

edit -- Check out the guide here: http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/advanced3.shtml

You might also just try using the Lion OSInstall.mpkg, although if that Macbook has only 1gb of ram you'd need to modify it for that anyway.

Do that, add the Lion kexts and set their permissions, and cross your fingers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.