Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aussie89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Hi Guys,

Has anyone been able to set up their iCloud email address with Outlook for Mac 2011?

I keep getting an authentication error. I've looked through everything I can and as far as I can tell my settings are all correct.

Any help would be appreciated.

kwissylawrencek

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2007
Just got it working this morning. The servers were overloaded yesterday so it wasn't working for me either and that may have been your problem too, try it again today and check.
Here are my settings anyway:

Username: your @me.com address username (email address without the @me.com on the end)
Password: Apple ID Password

Incoming server: imap.mail.me.com
NOT checked: Override default port
CHECK: Use SSL to connect
NOT checked: Always use secure password

Outcoing server: smtp.mail.me.com : 587
CHECK: Overide Default Port (will allow you to change to 587 above)

This is what worked for me in the end.

MacFerrari

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
Works!

Thanks.

My problem was I assumed that username for my account is my appleID. It is not.

It's like you write the mailaddress, without @me.com.

eyephoney

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Awesome !! This was constantly requesting for a password but after altering settings as you wrote my email now works !! TY

Just got it working this morning. The servers were overloaded yesterday so it wasn't working for me either and that may have been your problem too, try it again today and check.

Username: your @me.com address username (email address without the @me.com on the end)

spozzi

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2011
outlook mac 2011, mail settings for iCloud

These are my outlook mac 2011 for iCloud mail settings:
User name: <your email name>@me.com
Password: <your icould password>
incoming server: imap.mail.me.com
Port:993
Use SSL: <ticked>
outgoing server: smtp.mail.me.com
Port: 587
override default port: <ticked>
Use SSL: <ticked>
More options, Authentication: Use incoming server info

And it works fine.

llatker

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
iCloud and Outlook for Mac 2011

I've been chasing my tail - or rather Outlook's tail - all week long.

I've used all the settings recommended, but Outlook keeps giving me error messages that "Authentication failed because Outlook doesn't support any of the available authentication methods." Meaning SSL I guess.

If I uncheck SSL, then I get the error message that "Outlook cannot connect to the server. Verify that your computer is connected to the network."

Very "Catch 22!":mad:

Anyone else seeing this, and if so, how did you get around it?

Thanks.

Ah Ha - I overlooked NOT checking Always use secure password. Unchecked and Outlook seems to working fine.

Last edited:

cmartinez

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2007
In the end, simply changing the iCloud password did the trick.

I kept getting authentication errors for my .mac iCloud account in Oulook 2011 on my iMac i7 for the past few weeks (since late November 2011). However, Outlook 2011 on my MacBook Air worked perfectly, even though all the Outlook settings were exactly the same on both computers.

I tried all the settings in this discussion group and many others, including Apple's official settings (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4864). I even called Microsoft Support, and they said I had to call Apple, since they were the source of the problem.

What worked for me was simply changing my password for iCloud. My password was iCloud compliant to begin with, but changing it allowed Outlook 2011 to work with my iCloud account on my iMac. I saw this suggestion from someone who said his iCloud password was not compliant with Apple's requirements.

Hopefully this will help others still experiencing problems with their iCloud accounts and Outlook 2011.

MushiD

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
iCloud & Outlook 2011 for Mac

Hi Guys

Thanks kwissylawrencek. followed your settings and a months worth of pain disappeared.

You Rock!
:cool:

DGBcville

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
Outlook 2007 setup for me.com mail

Both posts from kwissylawrencek and cmartinez helped.

For 2007 users, see the three attached screenshots for settings

As cmartinez suggested, I HAD TO CHANGE my iCloud password... remember to login to iCloud with your APPLE ID and password to change this. Update the password in Outlook once you've done that and walla.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1.jpg
    ScreenShot1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,039
  • ScreenShot2.jpg
    ScreenShot2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 722
  • ScreenShot3.jpg
    ScreenShot3.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 705

cpgrog

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
Thank you, thank you, thank you

:D The instructions from kwissylawrencek worked for my iMac. Took less than a minute to fix what I thought was a complicated problem that meant bringing the desktop to an Apple store for diagnosis. Thanks for saving me the trip and headache!

kurchian

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2012
I have been successful with sending/receiving mail using Outlook for Mac 2011.

BUT, I don not receive mail unless I click send/receive. Anyone else have that problem. Ideas for a fix?

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I have been successful with sending/receiving mail using Outlook for Mac 2011.

BUT, I don not receive mail unless I click send/receive. Anyone else have that problem. Ideas for a fix?

I am having the same problem, with no idea how to fix it.

roxyz

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
What FINALLY did it for me was opening the Mail app and using those settings.
The difference was that the incoming mail server is p04-imap.mail.me.com.
Hope that helps.

matthews65

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
Thank you Kwissylawarencek, your the best!!!!

I don't know how long I spent on this issue but it took me a long time before I finally googled it and got someone who took the time to write up step by step instructions! Thank you so much!!!

jodilee

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
Outlook for Mac 2011 and iCloud

After spending many hours on the phone with both Apple AND Microsoft tech support, trying to set up my iCloud email in Outlook, I went to the Apple Store on Fifth Ave. The Apple genius with whom I worked there confirmed that iCloud accounts are NOT compatible with Outlook for Mac 2011 and CANNOT be set up in Outlook. I wish Apple had stated this at the outset -- I could have saved hours of wasted time on the phone. So if you are trying to set up your iCloud email in Outlook, you are wasting your time! It cannot be done.

swisskiwi

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
iCloud and Outlook 2011 for Mac

Thanks Kwissylawarencek, just awesome!!!!

My iCloud account worked fine with Outlook 2011. 2 days ago I couldn't download my mails due "authorization problems". After several attemps I googled it and found the step by step instructions from Kwissylawarencek ... and worked just perfect!!!

The main problem was in my Outlook settings:

- Incoming server: the "imap" was missing
- Outgoing server: the "mail" was missing

After adding those missing parts, everything worked fine again!

Originally Posted by kwissylawrencek View Post

RayD

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
Just got around to putting the me.com mail into Outlook. My Outlook 2011 database crashes constantly and I never got the warm fuzzy from the product. :confused:

That being said i downloaded MS Office 2011 Mac SP2 and installed that today. I guess we'll try and see if OL lives more than a week or two.

Anyway thanks Kwissy for sharing your setup. Worked the first try!

Have a great weekend all!!

Distantdanger1

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
Issue with iCloud ME email and Outlook 2011

I had the same troubles with verification warnings too. I had just switched to the cloud and my me.com email was acting up. I read this forum and as I went to change the password in iCloud, it said if I change there- I have to change all passwords that replace to Apple as the me.com email was an Apple ID. I have been using a @yahoo.com email as my Apple ID. I set up an iTunes login with my me.com email and then my Outlook started working. I would offer- make sure your me.com email on Outlook is the same as iCloud and iTunes.:eek:

mgs868

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Try Again...

After spending many hours on the phone with both Apple AND Microsoft tech support, trying to set up my iCloud email in Outlook, I went to the Apple Store on Fifth Ave. The Apple genius with whom I worked there confirmed that iCloud accounts are NOT compatible with Outlook for Mac 2011 and CANNOT be set up in Outlook. I wish Apple had stated this at the outset -- I could have saved hours of wasted time on the phone. So if you are trying to set up your iCloud email in Outlook, you are wasting your time! It cannot be done.

Looks Like the "Genius" at the Apple Store needs to go back to school...iCloud certainly can be setup with Outlook for Mac 2011..

Fabricman112

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
all you guys should delete any entries in keychain related to the account and Outlook
has helped me everytime.. and by that I mean everytime either osx or outlook has been updated
for me iCloud works perfectly, and I´ve got a few aliases :)

RayD

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
Looks Like the "Genius" at the Apple Store needs to go back to school...iCloud certainly can be setup with Outlook for Mac 2011..

+1 on the above quote. I've been using Outlook 2011 Mac on my Lion systems for months and months. No issues, works flawlessly and Outlook obeys and leaves the messages out on the iCloud server for web retrieval when necessary.

I have found that any version above the original has caused database crashes for me. That doesn't mean it will happen to you. YMMV but once I put SP1 or SP2 on Outlook the database corrupts every time. Went back to SP0 and works terrific. And it doesn't forget my passwords like the Mail.app does.

Rock on everyone!

twfmike

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
Thanks.

My problem was I assumed that username for my account is my appleID. It is not.

It's like you write the mailaddress, without @me.com.

MacFerrari I think i love you. I have been on this for DAYS and you just solved it!

DieKlown

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2015
Philadelphia
Still Relevant

Using OS X 10.10.1 and the suggestions from all are still relevant. Thank you for helping me avoid a ginormous ulcer!

Andy Orons

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2016
Here's a new one. If you are using 2-step verification with iCloud, you need to go to your Manage my Apple ID page and create an app-specific password. Poof.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.