Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryBourbon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Dear people of the MacRumors forum,

I need some solid advice!

I own an iPod 5G (Video), 30 gb. He will turn six next summer, so he's old.
But he still works very well, with some glitches a reset always solves.

However, my earphone input does not work properly anymore, so the audio experience isn't good anymore, especially when I walk. I also hate that those remote controls on the earbuds won't work, it would be so much easier to change the volume without getting the iPod from my pocket.

So, I am hesitating to fix it, which costs like 40$ and will take some effort going to a repair agency. I also don't know if those remote controls will work on a new earbud input.
OR, I'll buy a new iPod Classic, which will be 100% new, new hard disk, mother board etc etc. But I don't care for the new Classic interface, the new aluminium front cover and the big storage. However, if the new Classic has better audio and video performance, I'd certainly opt for a new Classic.

So my real question is: is a new iPod Classic better than a almost six year old iPod Video regarding, for example, life cycle, audio/ video performance or better battery life? I did replace my battery 1,5 years ago, so my current battery life is fine.

To be clear: I am not interested in an iPhone or iPod Touch.

In advance, thank you so much! :D

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
What follows is opinion, not to be confused with advice.
I would get it repaired. $40.00 is reasonable. You might even have a new battery installed by them. The DAC in the 5 and 5.5 gen. Classic is a Wolfson and, in my opinion, is the best sounding of all the hard-drive based iPods. I have no idea about the earbud volume control working. The video on the newer Classics most likely is better, I don't use mine for video, just music.
I have bought three 5th gen Classics on eBay and Craigslist and they work great. Buying used electronics is always a crapshoot but I got lucky on my purchases. See my disclaimer at top ;~)

PieVine96

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
London
Yeah I've been faced with the same decision for a while now, got a 5 Gen hand-me-down with a very short battery life and allot of scratches, and its always freezing..I have been considering the new one for about a year and a half now (!) but I just can't face buying one in case they bring out a new one, or drop it from the range (this could lead to a subsequent drop in price for the Classic at 3rd party retailers (John Lewis, or Walmart if you're in the 'States)), so I'm once again going to see what happens on the 7th March with the iPad conference- Apple usually release more than one product every 6 months..worst case would be getting the 160gb (4 year old software remember) and then finding out there's a new 220gb/320gb version..just a few things worth taking into account, but again its just my opinion

Mat246

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2011
UK
Also been thinking of getting one, just so i can have all my music collection with me, just seems pricey for what it can do.

HenryBourbon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Thanks for the replies!

I think I'm gonna opt for the repair - it's a lot cheaper and it's good to know the content of a 5.0G is better than a new classic! I do think audio quality is kinda important, I don't buy 40$ earbuds for nothing, so the DAC-thing is kinda the main motivation behind it!

Indeed, 160 gig is an interesting storage size, but it's too expensive just to buy a new Classic just for that reason!

oklaonion

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
You have the same iPod as me - so I understand the reluctance in ditching it, since it's great. But I think you answered your own question - if the audio glitches, that kind of defeats its purpose and you might as well upgrade. Don't let the 160 gb get you down - it's still a tank of a device and probably the best digital music player out there right now. And cheaper than our 30 gb iPods were back in the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.