Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
Ok Folks,

Again, I turn to the first class photographers of MR for knowledge and wisdom, plus to participate in a discussion! I leave a lens attached to a body all the time. Currently, I have a telephoto zoom attached! I like to think I will be ready for the action when it happens and it 'prevents' excessive lens swapping, but I know it is laziness. :D

On an interesting note, most of my lenses are not dusted sealed or weather sealed, so what are people's opinions about leaving a lens attached to a body? What are your pros/cons of such action or the lack of? ;)

A few things I consider:
1. Are lens caps a better longterm storage option?
2. Is there evidence that the metal of the camera mount and the metal or plastic of the lens cause detrimental damage or wear and tear?
3. Reading what "Canon and Nikon says" is great, but I think people can share their experiences without the help of big brother.
4. This is a discussion about all camera bodies with a lens cap, not Nikon vs. Canon etc..
5. Does it even matter? The live free approach!

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
There is always a lens attached to my Canon 5D2 other than when I'm changing lenses :D

Don't see how this would cause any problems

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I always leave whatever lens attached to my camera. Some will argue that constantly taking your lens on/off will allow more dust to get into the lens/body. Others will say it's "better" to take the lens off the body whenever in transit/storage so to avoid any accidental bumps/drops which may cause damage to the items. Both are valid points however bumps you can protect against assuming you have some sort of a decent bag to carry/protect your items. I'm more concerned with dust getting into my gear so I try not to change out lenses too often unless needed.

Metal mounts will generally last longer than plastic ones but that's dependent on whether or not you're frequently taking lenses on/off.

If you're going to be leaving your lenses/camera in storage for awhile then it's probably best you cap both of them. However if you are shooting quite often, just leave one lens on and leave it at that.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
The last lens I used is on the camera in my bag along with any other lenses I had along on that shoot. The only ones I store with caution in protective lens bags are my two investments. One is a Canon 100mm macro 2.8 L and the other is my Sigma 120-400 aka "Bird Lens". I do have several small nylon stuff sacks to store my lenses and camera in if I want a little more dust and weather protection.

When I next travel by plane, I will probably seperate my camera with a body cap. That would let me fit more stuff in my camera bag without having a lot of play for the camera. But then this may draw more attention to my kit from the TSA...

Dale

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
All of our cameras have lens attached. About 6' behind me I have two cameras, one with a short and the other with a long zoom attached so that I can grab one when coyotes, foxes, hawks, interesting birds, catch my attention in our backyard. I never travel, hike, etc., with just one lens so it makes sense to have one attached. My camera, messenger & field bags are set up so that they can accommodate at least one body and short zoom and then I will add a macro, prime, long zoom, more than one, etc. depending on the outing.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
The only time a lens is off my camera is when I am traveling on a plane. And the only reason that is, because to fit everything in my big camera bag it is easier with the body separate from the lens.

whoathere

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Rockford, IL
Always leave a lens on. It's much more convenient, first of all. Seconds of all, I hate having the front of the body open, it just makes me nervous.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The only time a lens is off my camera is when I am traveling on a plane. And the only reason that is, because to fit everything in my big camera bag it is easier with the body separate from the lens.
A very good point. Or any sort of rough travel where you won't be using the camera.
Always leave a lens on. It's much more convenient, first of all. Seconds of all, I hate having the front of the body open, it just makes me nervous.
Don't you have a body cap for your camera?
A few things I consider:
1. Are lens caps a better longterm storage option?
2. Is there evidence that the metal of the camera mount and the metal or plastic of the lens cause detrimental damage or wear and tear?
3. Reading what "Canon and Nikon says" is great, but I think people can share their experiences without the help of big brother.
4. This is a discussion about all camera bodies with a lens cap, not Nikon vs. Canon etc..
5. Does it even matter? The live free approach!
  1. If you're not using the camera for a while, I'd say leave the lens off. But that's what seems to be right for me.
  2. How heavy is the lens? How well supported is it in the camera bag?
  3. I'd mix what the manufacturer says with real world info.
  4. Well lens and body caps I presume? :cool:
  5. It matters depending on the weight of the lens, how the lens is supported in the camera bag. And the quality of the camera body that the lens is attached to.

Well just imagine a 70-200 f/2.8 lens which is fairly hefty on a sub $1000 mostly plastic D-SLR? That combo getting bounced around the wrong way could do a job on the camera.

Now if you're talking a light lens, there's less of an issue.

Around your house? there should be no issues leaving the lens on the camera. I tend take my lens off so it all fits back in to my camera bag. (I don't want a bigger bag which would then accumulate more things and weigh more.) Well, I do have some lenses in a drawer as well. I don't carry all my lenses with me.

Shhmmooove

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
Generally leave the lenses on unless I am travelling and am forced to place the lenses into checked baggage (protected, of course).

Had a major problem once when I kept the camera and all my lenses in the heavily air-conned car I was in, then stepped out into the very warm and humid air of Sri Lanka! It took a full 24 hrs before the fogging and condensation evaporated!

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
I knew I would receive a variety of answers! That's why I like this section. Looks like I'm not the only one leaving a lens attached to a body.

Shhmmooove, thank you for sharing your story. I never thought about it because my A/C doesn't work. :D

I saw bags that allow the user to carry a lens attached to the body, which is very cool. Yeah, I have to agree that I will not travel via airplane with a lens attached to my body. At least that's the plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.