Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neuropulse

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Greetings,

Can anyone who has tried Mountain Lion please tell me if they fixed the scrollbars that so many people are complaining about?

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17610805#17610805

The worst part is the arrows are missing. Also, they are too narrow and light grey. It is the worst of many ways the Mac OS has become less friendly with Lion.

Thanks

AppleFanBoy888

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
Greetings,

Can anyone who has tried Mountain Lion please tell me if they fixed the scrollbars that so many people are complaining about?

The worst part is the arrows are missing. Also, they are too narrow and light grey. It is the worst of many ways the Mac OS has become less friendly with Lion.

Thanks

No, they did not fix the scrollbars but if you hover your cursor on the scrollbar in ML, it enlarges.

Attachments

• scroll.jpg
    scroll.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 211

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
who still clicks on arrows to scroll? Just curious why you do it...

Why not, I can scroll through rows of icons with ease. But hey, what do I know I still use old archaic devices that don't accept gestures.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-02-17 at 5.49.04 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-02-17 at 5.49.04 PM.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 187

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Why fix something that isn't broken?
i'm sure there are a very small number of people who ever want to see a scroll bar these days. Don't think I've used arrows or scroll bars for the last 8 years on a computer. And what device are you using that doesn't have scroll? A mouse? Because even old plastic macbooks support two finger scroll, just not all of the gestures.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
I don't use the scroll arrows myself I find it useless to have anyway since you can scroll with the mouse without the arrows and is much faster

akarmenia

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
Melbourne
I didn't know progress meant making it purposely more difficult to do exact and horizontal scrolling.

That's true, if you wanted to do perfectly horizontal scrolling, but that means you spend more time clicking and less time scrolling. Also, the scroll on iOS locks in one direction after a while until you let go, but this isn't in Lion atm. Either way you can pull off reasonably percise horizontal scrolling with the trackpad, and if you're using a Mac, then I imagine it will scroll vertically, not sure horizontally - does it do so if you position your mouse on the horizontal scrollbar and scroll using the mouse?

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
I didn't know progress meant making it purposely more difficult to do exact and horizontal scrolling.

exact and horizontal scrolling are no harder using gestures on a trackpad than clicking an arrow or dragging a scroll bar around.

actionmarker

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Scroll Bar Options

Greetings,

Thanks

However, in Lion, there are scroll bar options that allow you to use the scroll bar very much like the old arrows.

You can set the scroll bar to always be visible and you can set it to either scroll a page on the app you are using or to scroll to where you click.

These almost negates the need for arrows anyway.

Presumably, these options will still be available in ML.

A

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-18 at 3.51.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-18 at 3.51.17 PM.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 194
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.