Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akarmenia

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Melbourne
What's the performance like on 10.8 compared to 10.7? Surely someone has run a quick benchmark? No?

V1D30 GUY

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
I haven't seen actual tested results, but my overall experience has been quite smooth. There was only one bug I encountered, which is expected, that I was able to fix with ease. It's best to turn off the graphics switching under energy saving settings. When on it seems to create several graphical glitches especially in Safari.

akarmenia

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Melbourne
I haven't seen actual tested results, but my overall experience has been quite smooth. There was only one bug I encountered, which is expected, that I was able to fix with ease. It's best to turn off the graphics switching under energy saving settings. When on it seems to create several graphical glitches especially in Safari.

Cheers, did you do a clean install or an upgrade?

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
For the first hour or so I experienced unusual performance issues. Now, performance seems to be about on par for me with 10.7. I am on a late 2010 Macbook Pro Core i5 with 8GB of memory.

So far no substantial show stopping bugs. I've had Subler crash on me when starting to convert MKV to MP4, and thats it for stability issues.

On reboot, if you go into Launchpad, just about all of the icons will come up scrambled, but if you give it a few minutes and go back into it it will appear fine.

The gesture for bringing up the notification pain seems to be hit or miss, but this was something that happened a lot in the early builds of 10.7 as well with new gestures so it doesn't really concern me all that much. I think part of my problem is that the trackpads are now big enough that finding the actual right or left hand side corner of the trackpad is hard to do from muscle memory. Once it becomes configurable, I'd like to see if maybe doing it from the top is a bit easier, as I can see that being overall a lot easier to remember.

Thats all I really have at the moment. It seems rock solid. Theres very very few improvements to fit and finish that I can see so far, but this is a fairly early build. When moving a file from one location to another, theres a progress bar on the actual icon, as well as an X on the upper left hand side of the icon to cancel the file move. On start up, if you have Autologin disabled, the Apple logo in the center of the screen does a nice animated move up to the same place on the login screen, and thats really just about it as far as I can tell so far.

Resuming from saved state applications on restart does seem to take longer, but once again, this is an early build, and final performance shouldn't be judged in any shape, form or fashion, as I'm sure we all learned during the beta for 10.7.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Good

I'm hoping for a early Summer launch as opposed to later (sept)

I'm eagerly awaiting the next iLife and iWork upgrades and "Documents in the Cloud" is very important for iWork.

I'd prefer an earlier release of ML and iWork if I had my druthers.

V1D30 GUY

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
On reboot, if you go into Launchpad, just about all of the icons will come up scrambled, but if you give it a few minutes and go back into it it will appear fine.

That's One of the issues I encountered. Turning off the Graphics Switching fixed it for me. It under the energy savings settings.

akarmenia

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Melbourne
That's One of the issues I encountered. Turning off the Graphics Switching fixed it for me. It under the energy savings settings.

I use gfxCardStatus to always keep mine on Intel, I don't suppose that will work anymore? And I've also heard that Little Snitch - they extremely useful firewall - doesn't work, and the devs have stated they're waiting until the public release of 10.8 before they release anything. That seems fair, but perhaps there's a way to jumpstart it somehow, since it apparently doesn't want to start on its own accord (since os isn't <= 10.7?) and doesn't actually try and crash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.