Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EEXOOO

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Can anyone with a MBP 15 6490M connected to a 1440p display share if the Mission Control still lags?

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I installed 10.8 DP1 and I've already noticed a few rather dumb bugs after 15 minutes of use. For instance, if you go into "Expose" settings in System Preference and uncheck "Show dashboard as a space", you won't be able to manage widgets from dashboard anymore. It seems whoever redesigned widget management might have forgot this. :p

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I installed 10.8 DP1 and I've already noticed a few rather dumb bugs after 15 minutes of use. For instance, if you go into "Expose" settings in System Preference and uncheck "Show dashboard as a space", you won't be able to manage widgets from dashboard anymore. It seems whoever redesigned widget management might have forgot this. :p

Have you tried this?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

Have you tried this?

In other words.

Don't complain if you're not a developer and if you ARE a developer submit a bug report.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
That looks very different from what I'm currently showing in Disk Utility in Lion - where did the Restore, RAID, and Erase tabs go? Also, there's no SMART status anymore? :confused:

Mine is still completely normal. I dont have an apple oem hd in either, upgraded to a wd 7200rpm a whille ago and it still shows up in my disk utility, as well as all the other tabs.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Here's a fun one: The checkbox for "Reopen windows when logging back in" now remembers your selection. Uncheck it once and it stays off forever.

I'm upgrading just for this!

You can review a video file even when its a thumbnail. Kinda cool but kinda useless xD

Thats been in there since at least Snow Leopard. I do it on my desktop all the time when rummaging through many video clips :D

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
Installed ML on a separate FW drive and, apart from Evernote and VMWare fusion, most of the things I use on a day-to-day basis appear to work just fine.

If Evernote but particularly VMWare Fusion works properly in ML, I'll install ML on my MBA. I like these little changes in ML :)

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Love this thread.

2 of my favourite features are actually the return of thing from Snow Leopard, that were missing in Lion:

1. The return of the Groups panel in Contacts.
  2. The return of the side bar in Calendars (showing calendar list and small month views). The faux leather has also been greatly toned down.

Also you can set default alarms in Calendar now.

I'm very happy about Apple adopting the iOS app names in OSX. I always thought iCal sounded more like a spreadsheet app. I wonder if System Preferences will become Settings?

MrAppleseed

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
  1. The return of the side bar in Calendars (showing calendar list and small month views). The faux leather has also been greatly toned down.

Also you can set default alarms in Calendar now.

When creating a new event, can you tell if it’s still created in the default calendar (as seen in Lion), or (as in pre Lion) in the selected calendar? :)

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
It is now possible to right-click dock items whilst Launchpad is active:

2pzl5kw.png

Edit: Oops sorry, Lion does this too!

Last edited:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Curious to know if Mission Control now remembers your fullscreen app positions instead of putting them in order of loading. That drives me freaking crazy!

Also, can you "Show Desktop" while in a full screen app? Another one that slows me down.

I guess my biggest issue with MC is that it treats fullscreen apps like they're on an iPad connected to the right of your windowed desktops. I like to rearrange the order of my desktops and fullscreen apps and want it to remember where they are even if they crash or I restart.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like the notifications, either iMessage or emails that pop up from the upper left corner

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
Curious to know if Mission Control now remembers your fullscreen app positions instead of putting them in order of loading. That drives me freaking crazy!
If you mean after a reboot, yes, Resume now arranges Spaces in the correct order.
Also, can you "Show Desktop" while in a full screen app? Another one that slows me down.
Unfortunately, no. It sounds like it could be a helpful feature though.
I guess my biggest issue with MC is that it treats fullscreen apps like they're on an iPad connected to the right of your windowed desktops. I like to rearrange the order of my desktops and fullscreen apps and want it to remember where they are even if they crash or I restart.
This has been possible since 10.7.2.
For the most part this seems to have been fixed in ML; restarting a crashed app will load it in windowed mode, but entering Full-Screen will insert it between the two spaces it last was. In addition, apps that enter Full-Screen are now sent one slot to the right of the current Space, and not all the way to the far right as they were with Lion.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009

A full-screen app is a standalone window with no underlying desktop. I'm not sure that it'd make much sense to implement this feature due to this UI design conflict. How is the desktop supposed to manage the windows that had been opened from behind a fullscreen app? They would be hidden out of sight, which could lead to major confusion.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
How is the desktop supposed to manage the windows that had been opened from behind a fullscreen app?
Uh... the full screen app just moves out of the way? Like any other app?

I really don't understand why people here think a full screen app is so special when it comes to window management that it deserves it's own dedicated desktop. Maybe Apple brainwashing works?

It's amazing how other apps have implemented full screen capabilities without comprising consistency. I use a hot corner to show my desktop. Unfortunately... if I happen to be using a FS app at the time I'm screwed and now have more swipes/keystrokes to deal with just to get there. Can there be anything less intuitive than having one app behave differently than any other simply because it has no menu and title bar?

Full Screen apps let me use my dock... why not the desktop?

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
- Safari's unified Address & Search bar + clicking the bar highlights it entirely
- Unarchiving downloaded packages brings them to the foreground; OS's prior to Lion had the same behaviour, then Lion took it away, now it's back in Mountain Lion again

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

If you are talking about what I think you are, you've been able to turn that off since Mission Control was introduced in Lion.

There's a checkbox in System Preferences: "Automatically rearrange spaces based on most recent use."

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
- Safari's unified Address & Search bar + clicking the bar highlights it entirely
- Unarchiving downloaded packages brings them to the foreground; OS's prior to Lion had the same behaviour, then Lion took it away, now it's back in Mountain Lion again

Does it still highlight if you click the favicon?

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
Uh... the full screen app just moves out of the way? Like any other app?

I really don't understand why people here think a full screen app is so special when it comes to window management that it deserves it's own dedicated desktop.

It's amazing how other apps have implemented full screen capabilities without comprising consistency. I use a hot corner to show my desktop. Unfortunately... if I happen to be using a FS app at the time I'm screwed and now have more swipes/keystrokes to deal with just to get there. Can there be anything less intuitive than having one app behave differently than any other simply because it has no menu and title bar?

Full Screen apps let me use my dock... why not the desktop?

A Full-Screen app is separate to a/the desktop possibly to make the user feel less reliant on there being a desktop (especially on more mobile, small screen devices), the concept is at least 30 years old after all. Eventually things will change.
I really don't understand how you can claim that before Lion/ML fullscreen apps didn't compromise consistency, however. Full-Screen was always a mess on any platform.
You could just drag ~/Desktop onto the Dock in the meantime anyhow, although I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that the Dock was only accessible when Full-Screen because not all users have access to a Multi-touch trackpad.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
- Safari's unified Address & Search bar + clicking anywhere in the bar highlights it entirely

img.png

In case you didn't know, two-finger swipe and menu icon are NOT the only ways to access Notification Center. Of course, there's also an option to assign a keyboard shortcut (my favourite). In my case, option+space triggers Notification Center, while command+space triggers Alfred. /tip

:)

----------

Does it still highlight if you click the favicon?
Yes.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Can't get the VPN talking yet..

**Edit** Got PPTP talking but it just won't take the Certificates to make L2TP/IPSec

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.