Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I think the key problem with trying to get the installer booting properly is that after installation, we'll still need to add the ID of the machine to the PlatformSupport list. That is, unless basesystem.pkg is unpacked and the plist is changed from there.

Well.. true, but heres some pics, need to troubleshoot where the problem comes from and what the xxxx is KernalCL plugin :mad:
IMG_0411%255B1%255D.JPG

Im using a PC unflashed HD6870 with upgraded 8 core clovertown processor. Both of these works 100% fine but wont be detected properly.. (same goes to Lion) but they work fine in Lion.

More pics:
IMG_0414%255B1%255D.JPG

ayilm1

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
Well.. true, but heres some pics, need to troubleshoot where the problem comes from and what the xxxx is KernalCL plugin :mad: Image

Im using a PC unflashed HD6870 with upgraded 8 core clovertown processor. Both of these works 100% fine but wont be detected properly.. (same goes to Lion) but they work fine in Lion.

That's strange, are the device IDs detected and if so, do they belong to the 6870? I have the same card running in a hackintosh. But then again, it's not a re-flashed model. I'm just unpacking some of the .pkgs to see if I can dig out the PlatformSupport.plist to edit it.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
That's strange, are the device IDs detected and if so, do they belong to the 6870? I have the same card running in a hackintosh. But then again, it's not a re-flashed model. I'm just unpacking some of the .pkgs to see if I can dig out the PlatformSupport.plist to edit it.

No, it has nothing to do with the upgraded graphics card.. Im having the same problem on my MacBook White 2008 with X3100..

ayilm1

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
No, it has nothing to do with the upgraded graphics card.. Im having the same problem on my MacBook White 2008 with X3100..

No worries, my macbook has the same issue. I just assumed the 6870 thing was pre existing since you said the same thing happened in 10.7.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
No worries, my macbook has the same issue. I just assumed the 6870 thing was pre existing since you said the same thing happened in 10.7.

Just to make it clear, both the cards and the processor are not properly identified - Processor - 2x Unknown 2.66GHz and graphics card - AMD HD 6xxx 1024MB. But they work fine, just not identified. I can simply just change the values in About This Mac and problem is solved. I have never heard of CL_Kernals plugin, and it has never crashed in Lion before, so yeah, we're missing something here :(

ayilm1

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
Just to make it clear, both the cards and the processor are not properly identified - Processor - 2x Unknown 2.66GHz and graphics card - AMD HD 6xxx 1024MB. But they work fine, just not identified. I can simply just change the values in About This Mac and problem is solved. I have never heard of CL_Kernals plugin, and it has never crashed in Lion before, so yeah, we're missing something here :(

That's because it wasn't there in Lion. If it was, we would have found some mention of it through a quick google search. The worse part is I've sifted through all the bundles in /S/L/E and there is no mention of it anywhere.

EDIT: Scratch that, it was there in Lion. I was searching for CL_Kernel not kernels

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
That's because it wasn't there in Lion. If it was, we would have found some mention of it through a quick google search. The worse part is I've sifted through all the bundles in /S/L/E and there is no mention of it anywhere.

Yup, google search brings up nothing, but so far, Finder works but the top bar doesnt, if you try to click anything on the top bar, it will crash Finder. Same thing goes to Activity Monitor, System Preferences, Safari etc.

I still suspect its the launchd, and why it doesnt happen to the GMA950 MacBook :(

ayilm1

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
Yup, google search brings up nothing, but so far, Finder works but the top bar doesnt, if you try to click anything on the top bar, it will crash Finder. Same thing goes to Activity Monitor, System Preferences, Safari etc.

Same on my end. What if we look at it literally. I mean, Finder and other apps only crash when interacted with. The machine doesn't kernel panic randomly or anything. So what if it has something to do with how things are rendered. Namely, OpenCL?

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Same on my end. What if we look at it literally. I mean, Finder and other apps only crash when interacted with. The machine doesn't kernel panic randomly or anything. So what if it has something to do with how things are rendered. Namely, OpenCL?

Hmm.. that reminds me of the GMA950 doesnt support the new OpenGL and OpenCL which explains why it doesnt crash. As far as i know, GMA950 only supports old OpenGL.. But i still don't understand why a 6870 and x3100 can have problem with OpenCL

----------

Anyway, have you installed the required kext on your MacBook? the x3100, if no, please try to install it via kexthelper.

ayilm1

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
Ok so some progress. I still can't get HW acceleration or kexts to load for my GMA 950 (Not the x3100 to clarify). But I have managed to repack the OSInstall.mpkg to add the relevant machine IDs during installation. Trouble is, the initial install screen still says that OS X cannot be installed on this machine. Still need to find a fix for that. But once it passes that, the installer should be able to create a natively bootable installation.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Ok so some progress. I still can't get HW acceleration or kexts to load for my GMA 950 (Not the x3100 to clarify). But I have managed to repack the OSInstall.mpkg to add the relevant machine IDs during installation. Trouble is, the initial install screen still says that OS X cannot be installed on this machine. Still need to find a fix for that. But once it passes that, the installer should be able to create a natively bootable installation.

To get GMA950 acceleration, you need to install 3 files, AppleIntelGMA950.kext, AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle, AppleIntelGMA950VLDriver.bundle copy the bundle into System/Library/Extensions and use kexthelper to install the kexts

EDIT: use kext from 10.7.0 not 10.7.3

ayilm1

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
To get GMA950 acceleration, you need to install 3 files, AppleIntelGMA950.kext, AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle, AppleIntelGMA950VLDriver.bundle copy the bundle into System/Library/Extensions and use kexthelper to install the kexts

EDIT: use kext from 10.7.0 not 10.7.3

Ahhh ok I did everything up to 10.7.0. I installed the 10.7.3 ones instead. Just trying to repack the payload to deploy it back into the .pkg. Not having much luck...

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
This thread title and its content sure don't match. From the title, it said "Success" and "Fully working" and from the content, it says "It boots!" and "a lot of stuff doesn't work and crash!". :p

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010

did you also edit the distribution file to add 64bit return true and add your board id? i can get the installer to start but it hangs on a 'checking (null) ...' dialog box

Mac Tech Aaron

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
10.8 crashing on MacPro

A few weeks ago, I flashed my 2006 Mac Pro from 1,1 to 2,1. Today I tried to get ML installed onto the MacPro. It boots to the ML desktop, but the finder is constantly crashing. I can not open any HD mounted on the desktop, can not get to the finder, can not launch applications without the desktop disappearing and then coming back with a error message asking if I want to restore the last window. Crash report that comes up saying it's crashed 776 times.

What am I doing wrong? :mad: Is there something else I need to do? :confused:

stewacide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
I'm guessing there's some pervasive OpenCL use that's going on that is crashing unsupported systems.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I tried 10.7.3 kext.. Installed it with KextHelper, doesnt work :( It says kext unusable.. For now, i bypassed the EFI64 check during boot. So yeah, I can confirm Mountain Lion works fine on old Macs.

Copy the kext without an additional tool, then (in a Terminal window):
Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/YourKernelExtensionName.kext
(sets correct owner:group)

and

Code:
sudo chmod -R 444 /System/Library/Extensions/YourKernelExtensionName.kext
(tells ML, that he should not delete this kext)

and

Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/
(tells ML, that he should update his kernel caches)

Restart your Mac! I hope this works for you!

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
This thread title and its content sure don't match. From the title, it said "Success" and "Fully working" and from the content, it says "It boots!" and "a lot of stuff doesn't work and crash!". :p

We were testing it on a MacBook White with GMA950, and that, works perfectly fine

----------

Copy the kext without an additional tool, then (in a Terminal window):
Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/YourKernelExtensionName.kext
(sets correct owner:group)

and

Code:
sudo chmod -R 444 /System/Library/Extensions/YourKernelExtensionName.kext
(tells ML, that he should not delete this kext)

and

Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/
(tells ML, that he should update his kernel caches)

Restart your Mac! I hope this works for you!

The problem have been solved in the previous posts. Right now, we're experiencing unexpected crash on Macs other then the ones that uses the GMA950

----------

If you are using a Mac Pro, upgrade your graphics card to at least HD2600 or GT210.. that will work, if its a MacBook, just follow my method above to install the required kext.

----------

As i said on previous post, it works perfectly fine with Macs that used GMA950.. Titles says on MacBook White, as i only tested it on that Mac, the rest of the Macs that uses X3100, ati x1600 etc etc is having problems

johncluley

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
Tried Kexthelper to get video Kexts for x1600 on a white c2d iMac. Kernel panic on start up etc. hosed everything and restored lion from time machine.

Now installing ML on a separate partition using the app directly from lion. No DVD or USB required with the image.

Will then try the manual kext move then terminal and see how I go.

We were testing it on a MacBook White with GMA950, and that, works perfectly fine

----------

The problem have been solved in the previous posts. Right now, we're experiencing unexpected crash on Macs other then the ones that uses the GMA950

----------

If you are using a Mac Pro, upgrade your graphics card to at least HD2600 or GT210.. that will work, if its a MacBook, just follow my method above to install the required kext.

----------

As i said on previous post, it works perfectly fine with Macs that used GMA950.. Titles says on MacBook White, as i only tested it on that Mac, the rest of the Macs that uses X3100, ati x1600 etc etc is having problems

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.